Re: What a difference the type of tripod makes!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mxsmanic, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    writes:

    > I just received my new Gitzo 1228 and Acratech Ultimate combination
    > after having used a $30 Circuit City job for the past several years
    > and I am amazed at the difference in the "feel" of it all.

    You get what you pay for.

    Mxsmanic, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Mxsmanic

    HRosita Guest

    Hi.

    Gitzo has been the "Rols Royce" of tripods for a long time but has been out of
    the reach of most consumers.
    There are however good compromises between the $30 Circuit City one and the
    Gitzo. Bogen comes to mind as decent tripods and ball heads.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Mxsmanic

    JK Guest

    Bogen tripods are built like a tank, however most of them are very heavy.
    The twist locks on Gitzo tripods take much longer to set up than the tabs
    on Bogen tripods and other brands. There are a number of tripods in the
    $80-$150 range that are are nice. Avoid tripods that have plenty of plastic
    parts, as they tend not to be very stable.

    JK, Aug 3, 2003
  4. The Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 is one of my favorites and is not too heavy.
    Available with several different heads for about $200.

    There's an ultralight CF version too, the 3444D, which is what I bought
    and fit either a Manfrotto 3265 head or FOBA MiniSuperBall Plus head
    to. A trifle expensive ($325 for the legs, $80 for the Manfrotto head,
    $260 for the FOBA head) but well worth it. With head, it weighs just
    under 5 lbs.

    Either of these will support up to about 6 lbs with the Manfrotto head
    or 11 lbs with the FOBA head. I use them with everything from
    Hasselblad to Minox cameras.

    My last tripod before the 3444D was a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221. Big, tall
    beast with the same Manfrotto head. I had it for 17 years and when I
    sold it (to get the lighter tripod) it was still in brand-new like
    condition despite massive amounts of use.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Mxsmanic

    Graham Guest

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > You get what you pay for.

    The trouble is that with a tripod it is not always immediately obvious
    to a novice what it is that you are paying for.

    My relatively cheap tripod proved perfectly adequate for long night time
    exposures with moderate lenses on my 35mm camera, but when I bought a
    600mm mirror lens it's shortcomings became glaringly obvious.
    Add a 3x teleconverter and fool around trying to photograph the moon and
    you need to hold your breath before pressing the cable shutter release!

    Of course it's perfectly adequate for my Canon A70.
    It's also about 10 times the size of the A70!

    Graham, Aug 6, 2003