Re: Weta Digital, the New Zealand-based visual effects company

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:

    > Greg House wrote:
    >> Lord of the Rings visual effects firm opts for Microsoft
    >>
    >> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2196215/lord-rings-visual-effects-firm

    > That does not mean weta "opts for microsoft" linux is primarily used..
    > well over half of all machines
    >
    > Weta works and deals with pretty much anyone.
    >
    > I guess thier motto is we will use anything that will do the job most
    > efficently...
    >
    > Which explains why weta has irix machines purely to run studiopaint even
    > though its been almost 7 years since it was last supported....
    >
    > Studiopaint does the job better then any other piece of software, So it
    > gets used

    That cant be right Andrew, I'm sure I saw someone saying they knew people at
    Weta that said " they're rolling Microsoft software out
    throughout the organisation, and, all going well, are expecting it to
    replace their Linux graphics farms."

    Or, are they spreading more FUD, and misleading people (again)

    --
    Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a

    Shane, Aug 9, 2007