Re: Western (iso-8859-1) and Unicode (utf-8)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Apr 25, 2008.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-04-24, Paul <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In order to see Greek character sets it was suggest that I switch from
    > Western (ISO-8859-1) to Unicode (utf-8) character encoding. Please
    > give me some idea of what happens when I do this. What is the
    > difference.
    >
    > Your teaching is appreciated.

    See <http://www.utf-8.com/>.

    How you go about changing the language and locale settings for your
    particular operating system will depend on the OS in question. You'll
    also need 'fonts' which include the characters you want to display.

    Some programs may not be able to cope with UTF-8 even if your OS can.

    Here are some Greek letters - this post will be encoded in UTF-8

    αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπÏςστυφχψω

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 25, 2008

  2. Whiskers <> wrote in

    > On 2008-04-24, Paul <> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> In order to see Greek character sets it was suggest that I switch from
    >> Western (ISO-8859-1) to Unicode (utf-8) character encoding. Please
    >> give me some idea of what happens when I do this. What is the
    >> difference.
    >>
    >> Your teaching is appreciated.

    > See <http://www.utf-8.com/>.
    >
    > How you go about changing the language and locale settings for your
    > particular operating system will depend on the OS in question. You'll
    > also need 'fonts' which include the characters you want to display.
    >
    > Some programs may not be able to cope with UTF-8 even if your OS can.
    >
    > Here are some Greek letters - this post will be encoded in UTF-8
    >
    > αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπÏςστυφχψω

    Looks like the Greek Kama Sutra in my reader...

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I approve this message!

    http://www.ejb.com/picture/17783/Candy_bra.html
    Bucky Breeder, Apr 25, 2008

  3. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-04-25, Bucky Breeder <> wrote:
    > Whiskers <> wrote in

    [...]

    >> Here are some Greek letters - this post will be encoded in UTF-8
    >>
    >> αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπÏςστυφχψω

    > Looks like the Greek Kama Sutra in my reader...

    All I can see is an alphabet. Has Xnews got some secret I didn't know
    about? If you get the Kama Sutra from a Greek alphabet I wonder what
    you'd get from Devengari? (No I can't do that one).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 25, 2008
  4. Whiskers

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:14:14 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > Here are some Greek letters - this post will be encoded in UTF-8
    >
    > αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπÏςστυφχψω

    Not 'some' Greek letters, mate.

    Fucking all of 'em :)

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com
    Aardvark, Apr 25, 2008
  5. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-04-25, Aardvark <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:14:14 +0100, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> Here are some Greek letters - this post will be encoded in UTF-8
    >>
    >> αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπÏςστυφχψω

    > Not 'some' Greek letters, mate.
    >
    > Fucking all of 'em :)

    No, only lower case, and with no accents (he said modestly).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 25, 2008
  6. Whiskers

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:10:56 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2008-04-25, Aardvark <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:14:14 +0100, Whiskers wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here are some Greek letters - this post will be encoded in UTF-8
    >>>
    >>> αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπÏςστυφχψω

    >> Not 'some' Greek letters, mate.
    >>
    >> Fucking all of 'em :)

    > No, only lower case, and with no accents (he said modestly).

    And also the extra character for the letter 'sigma' (he replied in a self-
    deprecating manner) :)

    Aardvark, Apr 26, 2008