Re: Western (iso-8859-1) and Unicode (utf-8)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by catchme, Apr 25, 2008.

  1. catchme

    catchme Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In order to see Greek character sets it was suggest that I switch from
    > Western (ISO-8859-1) to Unicode (utf-8) character encoding. Please
    > give me some idea of what happens when I do this. What is the
    > difference.
    >
    > Your teaching is appreciated.

    western alphabet characters are one bit, whereas other alphabets have
    characters which need 8 bits of information.
    there is perhaps a more complex explanation, but this is the one i have
    been told, and i think it simple enough to go by.

    --
    To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
    Resist much, obey little,

    -Walt Whitman, 1860
    catchme, Apr 25, 2008