    > Just turned it off ...

    Considering what a core part of the Vista security model it is, I think that
    was a foolish thing to do.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <48f110b8$>, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just turned it off ...

    >> Considering what a core part of the Vista security model it is, I
    >> think that
    >> was a foolish thing to do.

    > Eventually (just now) I find the game is not supported under UAC....the
    > advice from the vendor is turn uac off.

    I would be contesting their claims of vista compatibility if that was
    the case.

    I have already had issues where a company claimed vista support, and
    upon getting the product finding it was 32 bit only with UAC disabled.

    UAC is a way of implementing a user not running as administrator, a good
    security measure on any OS, to turn it off and use the admin account is
    just stupid IMO.

    Richard, Oct 12, 2008

  3. In message <48f19a6f$>, thing wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <48f110b8$>, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just turned it off ...

    >> Considering what a core part of the Vista security model it is, I think
    >> that was a foolish thing to do.

    > heh, because its pointless having such "great" security if prevents you
    > from doing what you meant to be doing.

    What _you're_ meant to be doing--fine. But when a third-party developer
    insists that you must turn off your system security to be able to use their
    product--that sets off all the flashing red lights and clanging alarm bells
    for me. Such software would not be welcome on my systems.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2008
  4. In message <48f23a07$>, thingy wrote:

    > ...lots of my XP/2000 games are having issues...while OK they pre-date
    > Vista, they are still being sold...so it cant be that hard to do a patch
    > for something still for sale...

    You'd think so, but in the proprietary software business model, everything
    like that costs money, and is only worth doing if it's going to bring in
    sufficiently more money to offset the cost.

    In other words, it's not going to be done.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2008