Re: Webcam help needed

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Jan 24, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Kayla wrote:
    > I have an HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop with a webcam. I have never had
    > the urge to use it but last night my son called me on Skype and it was
    > great seeing him on Video and wanted it also. I was using my
    > headphones. I went to Programs and clicked on Webcam and the only
    > option is "uninstall"
    > I have searched through programs and can't find any help. Could
    > someone please.
    >
    > Lori

    Are you sure a webcam is included on your model of DV9000 ?
    One document I looked at on the HP web site, said the
    camera was optional and present on certain models (without
    going into details). There could be more than one model of
    DV9000 for sale.

    I found a driver here.

    Driver
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...8-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1842189&os=228

    The driver mentions Ricoh 5U870, which is presumably the
    webcam if present. You could check Device Manager, to see
    if something like that is present or not.

    The enumeration of the webcam is USB\VID_05CA&PID_1870.

    You can check for the presence of USB devices, such as
    that video camera, with tools like UVCView. Each device
    will have its own unique enumeration numbers.

    This program originated on the Microsoft site, but is
    no longer offered for download. There are two sites
    that have archive copies. web.archive.org also has a
    copy, but the copy is damaged (the last byte of
    each archived copy is missing, and it is too complicated
    to tell people how to fix it). I include the MD5SUM
    information below, so people can compare to the
    sum check on any other copies they happen to find.

    So the purpose of downloading this tool, is to check
    for the presence of a device with "VID_05CA PID_1870",
    to see if there is any point fighting with drivers
    and so on. In this example screen display, you can see
    a device with "idVendor" field, and "idProduct" field.
    Those fields correspond to VID and PID.

    http://www.die.de/blog/content/binary/usbview.png

    *******
    ftp://ftp.efo.ru/pub/ftdichip/Utilities/UVCView.x86.exe
    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe

    File size is 167,232 bytes.
    MD5sum is 93244d84d79314898e62d21cecc4ca5e

    This is a picture of what the UVCView info looks like.

    http://www.die.de/blog/content/binary/usbview.png

    Some information on the parameters seen in UVCView.

    http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb5.htm
    *******

    If you see a device matching that VID and PID, that
    means that particular webcam (Ricoh 5U870) is present.
    Then you can try installing the driver from HP. The HP site
    has downloads for their computers, and that is where you'd
    go to find a driver. The link I provided above, is my best
    guess. But by entering your own detailed product information,
    you could well end up on a different driver page than the
    one I used. Some computer companies have been known to
    use more than one webcam, and that can complicate the
    process of finding or adding a driver.

    If you end up seeing some other value of VID and PID,
    the USB devices known about are listed here.

    http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/usb.ids

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 24, 2009

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Kayla wrote:
    >> Are you sure a webcam is included on your model of DV9000 ?

    > Thanks Paul. I checked to see if I actually do have one and this is
    > what I found when I did a search on dv9443 which is on the front
    > sticker of my laptop. Above the screen is dv9000. This sad news came
    > from HP Support
    >
    > The Vista webcam can be accessed by only a few specific video
    > applications. It does not have a free-standing test viewer, and it is
    > not listed as a device in the Computer window.
    >
    > Lori

    I tried looking for references to that camera, and there are very few
    web hits. The camera could be made by Z-Star Microelectronics, but
    their website offers no drivers, and doesn't even acknowledge
    that particular model. I expect anything custom made, would
    not be mentioned on the site. I was hoping perhaps the camera
    was used in some other product, in which case you could get a
    driver from them. But so far, there are too few hits in my
    search engine, to help you.

    You could pick up a web cam. For example, I picked up a Logicam
    Quickcam Pro 9000. What I noticed about that one, is it doesn't
    maintain good lip sync, depending on conditions. It uses
    variable frame rate, and the frame rate drops, if the lighting
    is poor around the camera. If you drop the resolution setting
    of the camera enough, and add extra lighting (halogen lamp),
    then it works sorta OK. So if you do decide to go shopping
    for a camera, make sure you read enough reviews, to get a
    good idea of how it will perform. Frankly, I was let down
    by the performance of the product I bought. I expect a
    cheaper camera might have worked better (or been less of a
    waste of money).

    To find reviews, Newegg has customer reviews for many of
    its products. Another source of reviews is Amazon. And
    in a world of "fake reviews", it is pretty easy to tell
    the fakes, because really, no webcam works that well.
    As long as the defects mentioned are tolerable, then
    depending on your finances, you could try one out.

    If you're looking for particular application support, then
    best type in the name of the application when doing searches
    and the like. You'd be surprised what incompatibilities
    pop up in things like Skype.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 25, 2009

  3. "Kayla" <> wrote in message
    > >Are you sure a webcam is included on your model of DV9000 ?

    > Thanks Paul. I checked to see if I actually do have one and this is
    > what I found when I did a search on dv9443 which is on the front
    > sticker of my laptop. Above the screen is dv9000. This sad news came
    > from HP Support
    >
    > The Vista webcam can be accessed by only a few specific video
    > applications. It does not have a free-standing test viewer, and it is
    > not listed as a device in the Computer window.
    >
    > Lori

    I'm a bit confused. If you do not have a webcam already, I'm concerned that
    there is an Uninstall Program for it. Be that as it is, if there is no
    webcam, you can go to Walmart and buy a good one for $50-ish, or buy a
    lesser quality brand for a few dollars less. I like the Microsoft VX3000 or
    VX5000, these are USB-based and have a microphone already installed in them.
    Yoiu can use the PC speakers and the camera/mic, and set up a speaker-phone
    connection. It really is very easy.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 25, 2009
  4. "Kayla" <> wrote in message
    > >Are you sure a webcam is included on your model of DV9000 ?

    > Thanks Paul. I checked to see if I actually do have one and this is
    > what I found when I did a search on dv9443 which is on the front
    > sticker of my laptop. Above the screen is dv9000. This sad news came
    > from HP Support
    >
    > The Vista webcam can be accessed by only a few specific video
    > applications. It does not have a free-standing test viewer, and it is
    > not listed as a device in the Computer window.
    >
    > Lori

    Sorry, I really _am_ confused, aren't I?

    Skype should be able to see the camera you have, and you will find it in the
    Skype Options (TOOLS > OPTIONS > VIDEO SETTINGS).

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 25, 2009