Re: Web page shuts down Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Lukan, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. Lukan

    Lukan Guest

    > www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/kavanagh/article686412.ece
    >

    > Problem with Firefox or sabotage by 10 Downing Street*?
    >
    > RogerH
    >
    > * Probably not that: (i) the page DOES work on a more primitive browser
    > and (ii) they probably couldn't even get sabotage right!

    Works fine on my FF (latest version and Vista), might be an add-on error
    on your end.

    .... I won't say anything negative about your choice of website, although
    I'm certainly thinking it . . .
    Lukan, Apr 7, 2008

  2. Roger Hird wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Roger Hird <> wrote:
    >> In article <ftcvao$e44$>,
    >> Lukan <> wrote:
    >>> Works fine on my FF (latest version and Vista), might be an add-on error
    >>> on your end.

    >> I'm FF 2.0.0.13 running on XP.

    >> But - to papraphrase Slartibardfast in HHGTG - what are these add-ons of
    >> which you speak?

    > Ah - just done what I should have done and searched. The only "add-on"
    > I've got that hasn't been there for ages is an updated Quicktime player
    > that downloaded itself and told me to install it on 1 April. Significant?

    QT is not an addon, its a plugin.

    Addon is a catch all term to refer to extensions and themes.
    Tools>>Addon Manager will show you which extensions you have installed.

    Starting Firefox in Safe Mode will disable extensions, and allow to see
    it the site works. If it does, you have a problem extension.
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 7, 2008

  3. Roger Hird wrote:
    > In article <b2sKj.77926$>,
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >> QT is not an addon, its a plugin.

    > As the man said "Doh!"
    >
    >> Addon is a catch all term to refer to extensions and themes.
    >> Tools>>Addon Manager will show you which extensions you have installed.

    >> Starting Firefox in Safe Mode will disable extensions, and allow to see
    >> it the site works. If it does, you have a problem extension.

    > Thanks - I'll have a go.
    >
    > I'm more curious than concerned - I seldom need to use the Sun site and it
    > loads so slowly that I can read the article concerned before everything
    > turns off.

    I couldn't test it this afternoon, since my school's firewall blocks it.
    I just opened it now, loading up in a second, not crash at all.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 8, 2008