Re: .Wav recording

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Murray Symon, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Murray Symon

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:56:48 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > Could anyone reccomend a good program that can record sound coming out of
    > my sound card as either .wav or .mp3, with unlimited length? The Windows
    > sound recorder only does 60 seconds.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Cool Edit (demo version) was always reliable.
    I have lately been using Audacity as it is works on Windows & Linux.
    It is also multi-track and has the usual editing stuff.
    audacity.sourceforge.net

    --
    HTH
    Murray

    Murray Symon, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Murray Symon

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Murray Symon of Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:39 :
    > I have lately been using Audacity as it is works on Windows & Linux.
    > It is also multi-track and has the usual editing stuff.
    > audacity.sourceforge.net

    I started trying out recording some old LPs to CD last weekend, and found
    audacity pretty good for tidying up the .wav file. The noise reduction
    seemed to get rid of scratches and ticks in the sound ok.
    (used gramofile to record from input to a .wav file)

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Murray Symon

    Stuart Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > I started trying out recording some old LPs to CD last weekend, and found
    > audacity pretty good for tidying up the .wav file. The noise reduction
    > seemed to get rid of scratches and ticks in the sound ok.

    Which version were you using? There's a beta out, which I had a look at the
    other day. I was planning on doing the same thing with some records as well,
    but I thought you had to remove the scratches manually. Does it do this
    automagically with noise reduction?

    Stuart

    ---

    Stuart, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Murray Symon

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Stuart of Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:48 :
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> I started trying out recording some old LPs to CD last weekend, and found
    >> audacity pretty good for tidying up the .wav file. The noise reduction
    >> seemed to get rid of scratches and ticks in the sound ok.

    > Which version were you using? There's a beta out, which I had a look at
    > the other day. I was planning on doing the same thing with some records as
    > well, but I thought you had to remove the scratches manually. Does it do
    > this automagically with noise reduction?

    Mine is v 1.1.1 which came with Mandrake 9.1. I see that v 1.2 will be out
    soon, so that should be even better.
    The noise removal is under the effects menu. I gave it a noise sample of
    the static on the record before the music started, and it worked on that
    (but I don't know how).

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Murray Symon

    Stuart Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > this quote is from Stuart of Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:48 :
    > > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > >> I started trying out recording some old LPs to CD last weekend, and

    found
    > >> audacity pretty good for tidying up the .wav file. The noise reduction
    > >> seemed to get rid of scratches and ticks in the sound ok.

    > > Which version were you using? There's a beta out, which I had a look at
    > > the other day. I was planning on doing the same thing with some records

    as
    > > well, but I thought you had to remove the scratches manually. Does it do
    > > this automagically with noise reduction?

    > Mine is v 1.1.1 which came with Mandrake 9.1. I see that v 1.2 will be

    out
    > soon, so that should be even better.
    > The noise removal is under the effects menu. I gave it a noise sample of
    > the static on the record before the music started, and it worked on that
    > (but I don't know how).

    Wow, that's good news. Thanks for that, looks like I've got a project for
    this weekend :)

    Stuart

    ---

    Stuart, Aug 25, 2003