Re: Waterfall on Mt. Rainier

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Jul 31, 2010.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:
    :
    : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
    : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
    : deep ravine.
    :
    : <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
    :
    : LOL!

    I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 31, 2010

  2. Robert Coe

    LOL! Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:03:58 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:
    >:
    >: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
    >: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
    >: deep ravine.
    >:
    >: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
    >:
    >: LOL!
    >
    >I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".
    >
    >Bob

    I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
    dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
    given (or perchance already have).

    LOL!, Jul 31, 2010

  3. Robert Coe

    MadHatter Guest

    On Jul 31, 8:26 am, LOL! <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:03:58 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:
    > >:
    > >: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
    > >: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
    > >: deep ravine.
    > >:
    > >: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
    > >:
    > >: LOL!

    > >I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".

    > >Bob

    > I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
    > dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
    > given (or perchance already have).

    I'm 99% certain that this is Martha Falls. Were you hiking in
    Stephens Canyon below Bench and Snow Lakes?

    MadHatter, Jul 31, 2010
  4. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:04:01 -0700 (PDT), MadHatter
    <> wrote:

    >On Jul 31, 8:26 am, LOL! <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:03:58 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >> >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:
    >> >:
    >> >: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
    >> >: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
    >> >: deep ravine.
    >> >:
    >> >: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
    >> >:
    >> >: LOL!

    >> >I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".

    >> >Bob

    >> I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
    >> dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
    >> given (or perchance already have).

    >I'm 99% certain that this is Martha Falls. Were you hiking in
    >Stephens Canyon below Bench and Snow Lakes?

    More like he was hiking through old copies of _National Geographic_
    with his scanner by his side.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 31, 2010
  5. Robert Coe

    LOL! Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:39:22 -0400, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:04:01 -0700 (PDT), MadHatter
    ><> wrote:

    >>> I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
    >>> dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
    >>> given (or perchance already have).

    >>I'm 99% certain that this is Martha Falls. Were you hiking in
    >>Stephens Canyon below Bench and Snow Lakes?

    Could be!

    >More like he was hiking through old copies of _National Geographic_
    >with his scanner by his side.

    My, what a compliment! But then I've often been approached to sell my
    photography to them. So this comes as no real surprise.

    LOL!

    LOL!, Jul 31, 2010
  6. Robert Coe

    LOL! Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:55:38 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >LOL! wrote:
    >> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:39:22 -0400, tony cooper

    >> Could be!

    >http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
    >"Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
    >viewed. Unicorn Creek drops over 600' in a series of drop highlighted
    >by a 125' tall fan shaped drop near the top and the final 150' plunge
    >into Stevens Canyon. There isn't really anywhere to see the entire
    >falls clearly, but the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
    >itself."
    >Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.

    What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?

    LOL!

    LOL!, Jul 31, 2010
  7. Robert Coe

    LOL! Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
    >>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
    >>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
    >>> itself."
    >>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.

    >> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?

    >No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
    >a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
    >mountain as seen from the road?

    When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
    usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
    damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
    below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
    like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
    to find more.

    LOL!, Jul 31, 2010
  8. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:32:21 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:
    : On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >LOL! wrote:
    : >>>>>>>> :
    : >>>>>>>> : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
    : >>>>>>>> : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
    : >>>>>>>> : deep ravine.
    : >>>>>>>> :
    : >>>>>>>> :<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
    : >>>
    : >>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
    : >>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
    : >>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
    : >>> itself."
    : >>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.
    : >>
    : >> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?
    : >
    : >No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
    : >a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
    : >mountain as seen from the road?
    :
    : When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
    : usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
    : damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
    : below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
    : like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
    : to find more.

    If a wilderness hiker paid that little attention to his surroundings, he might
    not survive long. If you get lost out of range of a cell tower, knowing where
    the nearest road is may be your best hope. But it sounds as though you don't
    even carry a map.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 31, 2010
  9. Robert Coe

    Bruce Guest

    wrote:

    >>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
    >>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
    >>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
    >>> itself."
    >>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.

    >> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?

    >No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
    >a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
    >mountain as seen from the road?

    You have to sympathise.

    He takes a two week trek, suffering untold hardships, and happens to
    find a remote, unnamed, unmarked waterfall that he believes only very
    few people have ever seen. He takes a snapshot of it.

    Only later does he find out that he could have taken an easy afternoon
    drive and taken his snapshot from the side of the road.

    Don't you just *hate* it when that happens?

    As I said, you have to sympathise.

    Bruce, Jul 31, 2010
  10. Robert Coe

    Peter Guest

    "LOL!" <> wrote in message

    > I have thousands of other photos from that
    > area that nobody has ever taken, of things they've never seen, nor will
    > ever see.

    We agree, "nobody has ever taken,"
    We know. but we think they do exist in your mind.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 31, 2010
  11. Robert Coe

    Bruce Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:21:42 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:10:59 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >>
    >>You have to sympathise.
    >>
    >>He takes a two week trek, suffering untold hardships, and happens to
    >>find a remote, unnamed, unmarked waterfall that he believes only very
    >>few people have ever seen. He takes a snapshot of it.
    >>
    >>Only later does he find out that he could have taken an easy afternoon
    >>drive and taken his snapshot from the side of the road.
    >>
    >>Don't you just *hate* it when that happens?
    >>

    >Not at all. First of all, there were no hardships nor suffering involved.
    >But you being a frightened little tender-foot must cringe every time you
    >have to think about walking as far as you do to your kitchen. By not
    >following anyone else's ways I have thousands of other photos from that
    >area that nobody has ever taken, of things they've never seen, nor will
    >ever see.

    How does "not following anyone else's ways" equate to your snapshot
    having precisely the same perspective as the shot from the roadside?

    >See how that works?

    Yes, I do believe I see *exactly* how that works. ;-)

    Bruce, Jul 31, 2010
  12. Robert Coe

    LOL! Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:48:00 -0400, "Peter" <>
    wrote:

    >"LOL!" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have thousands of other photos from that
    >> area that nobody has ever taken, of things they've never seen, nor will
    >> ever see.
    >>

    >We agree, "nobody has ever taken,"
    >We know. but we think they do exist in your mind.

    And from this you want me to believe that you're not a useless fuckin'
    moron of a troll?

    Sorry, it didn't work. In fact it had quite the reverse effect.

    LOL!

    LOL!, Jul 31, 2010
  13. Robert Coe

    Peter Guest

    "LOL!" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:48:00 -0400, "Peter" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"LOL!" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I have thousands of other photos from that
    >>> area that nobody has ever taken, of things they've never seen, nor will
    >>> ever see.
    >>>

    >>We agree, "nobody has ever taken,"
    >>We know. but we think they do exist in your mind.

    > And from this you want me to believe that you're not a useless fuckin'
    > moron of a troll?

    I don't give a flying f---k what you believe.
    It will never have any effect on my life. As other's have posted you are
    really in need of help.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 1, 2010
  14. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 17:01:58 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:
    : On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:48:00 -0400, "Peter" <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >"LOL!" <> wrote in message
    : >news:...
    : >
    : >> I have thousands of other photos from that
    : >> area that nobody has ever taken, of things they've never seen,
    : >> nor will ever see.
    : >>
    : >
    : >We agree, "nobody has ever taken,"
    : >We know. but we think they do exist in your mind.
    :
    :
    : And from this you want me to believe that you're not a useless
    : fuckin' moron of a troll?
    :
    : Sorry, it didn't work. In fact it had quite the reverse effect.

    No, the effect is because yuo forgot to take your pills.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 1, 2010