Re: Water cooling

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2008.

  1. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > While reading I notice that just like air cooling there can be a
    > considerable difference with CPU water cooling blocks....

    According to this
    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/27/water-cooling-loses-touch>,
    you may need to maintain it regularly to avoid gunk buildup.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2008

  2. In article <g37l9b$os5$>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...

    > According to this
    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/27/water-cooling-loses-touch>,
    > you may need to maintain it regularly to avoid gunk buildup.

    In a word: no. You have to use *distilled water*, and use the
    accepted ratio of antifreeze/corrosion-inhibitor/algicide, and
    no sludge will form, either from algae nor from ion exchange
    reactions between different metals in the system. Most starter
    kits come with such an additive in the box.

    Some companies use a mix of copper and aluminium, and that is
    not at all a good idea in my opinion, unless at least one of
    the two is gold plated on the inside of the block or radiator.
    Seem to recall Zalman doing that with some of their
    waterblocks, but I heard that their alu 'reserator' systems
    suffered pretty badly from corrosion, initially at least.

    Incidentally I also found out that a lot of people had problems
    with the Zalman towers after a short while, with pump bearings
    getting noisy within weeks/months of commencement.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 17, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:24:48 +1200
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > In article <g37l9b$os5$>, ldo@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand says...
    > >
    > > According to this
    > > <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/27/water-cooling-loses-touch>,
    > > you may need to maintain it regularly to avoid gunk buildup.
    > >

    > In a word: no. You have to use *distilled water*, and use the
    > accepted ratio of antifreeze/corrosion-inhibitor/algicide, and
    > no sludge will form, either from algae nor from ion exchange
    > reactions between different metals in the system. Most starter
    > kits come with such an additive in the box.
    >
    > Some companies use a mix of copper and aluminium, and that is
    > not at all a good idea in my opinion, unless at least one of
    > the two is gold plated on the inside of the block or radiator.
    > Seem to recall Zalman doing that with some of their
    > waterblocks, but I heard that their alu 'reserator' systems
    > suffered pretty badly from corrosion, initially at least.
    >
    > Incidentally I also found out that a lot of people had problems
    > with the Zalman towers after a short while, with pump bearings
    > getting noisy within weeks/months of commencement.
    >
    > -P.

    Hi Peter
    I remember last year you were having issues with your Nautilus
    setup.. :) well the pump in mine died and I've replaced it with the
    swiftech MCP350 direct replacement, hasn't missed a beat but still only
    use on the CPU, my GPU has passive cooling.

    Now the previous coolant had been in for 18 months or so no gunk or
    discolouration from the distilled water and anti freeze. The coolant
    that is in there at the moment has been in for almost a year, looks
    just like the day it was added.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09

    Malcolm, Jun 17, 2008