Re: Water cooling

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Jun 17, 2008.

  1. In article <>,
    y says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > While reading I notice that just like air cooling there can be a
    > considerable difference with CPU water cooling blocks....has anyone come
    > across good test sites comparing CPU, GPU water blocks and indeed other
    > components, pumps, radiators etc.?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Steven

    By far the best price/performance ratio is to be had from the
    Swiftech gear. Apogee cpu block, mcw30 chipset block and mcw60
    gpu block. I've got the 650 pump, i.i.r.c. and the little
    perspex reservoir, 2x120mm radiator on which I've only got one
    fan spinning slowly. Mounted independently outside the case.

    I made the mistake of buying a DangerDen gpu waterblock,
    because I hadn't finished doing my homework (missed one
    critical comparison). Danger Den block was 200 bucks, for a
    third I could've had a Swifttech that performed better in a
    comparison test. But that was in the first days of the 8800
    grafic cards, and it wasn't initially clear what block, other
    than the DD, and the zalman which was delayed, would fit.

    So I am running the water through the cpu, then chipset, then
    gfx card, then radiator. The temperatures are very very good.
    Especially the gfx card benefits.

    I went with the Corsair Nautilus to start with, and it turned
    out that there were serious problems with it:
    I went through two units that soon hummed and buzzed and
    rattled, within a week of installing them.

    So I ended up using the considerably more expensive Swifttech.
    Performance is much better. But it turned out to be quite
    expensive all up. I think I have spent close to 800 dollars all
    up.

    It was an interesting experience. I wanted to try it. I will
    probably not do it again, if I can get a more or less passively
    cooled videocard for the next rig. There's a lot of money in
    this gear, and it's not silent. Very quiet though.

    In nearly 1 year of operation I've had to top up the reservoir
    once with about 10ml of distilled water so far.

    Swifttech beats most of the competition by a country mile on
    performance, especially their waterblocks are good, and the
    radiators. The pump I have not only is big and robust, it has a
    little speed control on it so I can make it go as slow/quiet as
    poss, without much apparent rise in temperatures.
    Price wise they're not the most expensive either.

    http://www.swiftnets.com/

    h.t.h., -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 17, 2008

  2. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    > In article <>,
    > y says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> While reading I notice that just like air cooling there can be a
    >> considerable difference with CPU water cooling blocks....has anyone
    >> come across good test sites comparing CPU, GPU water blocks and
    >> indeed other components, pumps, radiators etc.?
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Steven
    >>

    > By far the best price/performance ratio is to be had from the
    > Swiftech gear. Apogee cpu block, mcw30 chipset block and mcw60
    > gpu block. I've got the 650 pump, i.i.r.c. and the little
    > perspex reservoir, 2x120mm radiator on which I've only got one
    > fan spinning slowly. Mounted independently outside the case.
    >
    > I made the mistake of buying a DangerDen gpu waterblock,
    > because I hadn't finished doing my homework (missed one
    > critical comparison). Danger Den block was 200 bucks, for a
    > third I could've had a Swifttech that performed better in a
    > comparison test. But that was in the first days of the 8800
    > grafic cards, and it wasn't initially clear what block, other
    > than the DD, and the zalman which was delayed, would fit.
    >
    > So I am running the water through the cpu, then chipset, then
    > gfx card, then radiator. The temperatures are very very good.
    > Especially the gfx card benefits.
    >
    > I went with the Corsair Nautilus to start with, and it turned
    > out that there were serious problems with it:
    > I went through two units that soon hummed and buzzed and
    > rattled, within a week of installing them.
    >
    > So I ended up using the considerably more expensive Swifttech.
    > Performance is much better. But it turned out to be quite
    > expensive all up. I think I have spent close to 800 dollars all
    > up.
    >
    > It was an interesting experience. I wanted to try it. I will
    > probably not do it again, if I can get a more or less passively
    > cooled videocard for the next rig. There's a lot of money in
    > this gear, and it's not silent. Very quiet though.
    >
    > In nearly 1 year of operation I've had to top up the reservoir
    > once with about 10ml of distilled water so far.
    >
    > Swifttech beats most of the competition by a country mile on
    > performance, especially their waterblocks are good, and the
    > radiators. The pump I have not only is big and robust, it has a
    > little speed control on it so I can make it go as slow/quiet as
    > poss, without much apparent rise in temperatures.
    > Price wise they're not the most expensive either.
    >
    > http://www.swiftnets.com/
    >
    > h.t.h., -Peter

    While I have no first-hand experience with water cooling a couple people I
    know do (both use Swiftech) and I read overclocking forums extensively. It's
    pretty much unanimous, Swiftech are the best price/performance by far. I
    know that's what I'll be using if I ever take the plunge. <g>

    They make a nifty little CPU water block/pump unit combined that only
    requires the addition of a radiator (and GPU block if so desired) that seems
    like a great idea/first step into water cooling.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 17, 2008