Re: Was I sent a new Sandisk 1GB Ultra Compact Flash?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jason O'Rourke, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Pete Davis <> wrote:
    >I tried to order a new Sandisk 1GB Ultra Compact Flash P/N:
    >SDCFH-1024-784, but instead received SDCFH-1000-784. Per
    >http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6012 , I was
    >expecting to see an edge stamp of BB0303TV CHINA, but instead got
    >BB0305TV CHINA. Does anyone know if I got something newer than
    >BB0303TV CHINA or older since my part number is "1000-784" instead of

    1000 versus 1024 may just reflect a greater honesty in the p/n about how
    much memory is actually on the card.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Jason O'Rourke

    Pete Davis Guest

    The packaging on my 0305TV CHINA SDCFH-1000-784 says (c) 2002, so this
    gets even more confusing. I guess the good news is that since I got
    the 1GB card, it sounds like they never shipped the old one, so I
    think I'm OK either way.

    [back label]

    SDCFH-1000-784

    19659 01809

    80-56-00525-1000

    SanDisk Ultra CompactFlash gets speedy Tuesday, July 15, 2003 | by
    Rob Galbraith

    The packaging may look the same, but SanDisk's revamped Ultra line of
    CompactFlash cards bears little resemblance to the Ultra models the
    company has been shipping since the fall of 2001. In fact, for the
    first time since we began tracking camera storage media performance
    back in 1997, a SanDisk card sits at or near the top of the write
    speed standings for several different digital SLR models.

    SanDisk's revved Ultra CompactFlash lineup consists of 256MB, 512MB
    and 1GB capacities, all Type I-size. The CompactFlash Performance
    Database provides benchmark information for the 512MB and 1GB cards in
    9 different digital SLR cameras. As you'll see, the new Ultra cards
    fare particularly well in Canon cameras and the Fuji S2 Pro; support
    of Lexar's Write Acceleration technology by Nikon and Kodak means that
    Lexar's current crop of CompactFlash cards remain the quickest in
    later model digital SLR's from both companies.

    The new Ultra CompactFlash cards, which SanDisk quietly began shipping
    several weeks ago, move firmly to the head of the class in
    card-to-computer transfer rates. Of the 40 cards whose read speed
    we've tested in the database, the new Ultra cards are the fastest, and
    by a significant margin. Previously, Delkin's PRO 256MB card delivered
    photos to the computer the quickest, at 6084K/second. Both the Ultra
    512MB and 1GB cards streak past the sprightly Delkin, checking in at
    7688K/second and 7956K/second, respectively. If you have a fast
    FireWire or USB 2.0 card reader, the new Ultras will enable your
    photos to be transferred to the computer much faster than any card
    we've ever tested (especially on the Windows platform).

    Unfortunately, SanDisk has opted not to change the card's label, the
    packaging it ships in or even its internal name, which makes it tough
    to determine whether it's an original or new Ultra series CompactFlash
    card that you're staring at on the accessories wall at your favourite
    pro photo retailer. Here are some suggestions:

    * Purchase only the Ultra 1GB. SanDisk never shipped an
    original-design 1GB Ultra card, so an Ultra of this capacity is only
    the new, faster version.

    * Look at the copyright date. Ultra series cards, original and new,
    have a copyright notice on the rear label. If it says ? 01 SanDisk or
    ? 02 SanDisk, it's an original Ultra. If it says ? 03 SanDisk it could
    be either an original or new Ultra, so identifying the card by this
    method is only useful if it has a copyright date earlier than 2003.

    SanDisk's web site has not been updated with information on the new
    Ultra series. The company has also not said when their Extreme line of
    CompactFlash cards, which were announced along with the new Ultras at
    PMA 2003 earlier this year, will begin to ship.
    Pete Davis, Jul 25, 2003

  3. (Pete Davis) wrote:

    > Unfortunately, the only reader I have at this point is the camera so I
    > haven't been able to perform any real benchmarking on it

    Hey, send it to me--I'll test it ;-)

    Seriously my Lexar 2Gb 40x reads at 5987KBytes/sec in my Addonics
    Firewire Mini Digidrive. This reader was recommended by Rob.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6191-6217

    If/when you get a high-speed reader please post your results.

    ---
    Don't feed the trolls--it only makes them grow!
    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 25, 2003