    W5PT, Jul 27, 2003

  2. W5PT

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <qTNUa.126332$>, W5PT
    <> writes
    >OK, I give up. I've been burned by scams and figured out a few, but I've
    >not seen an ad like this on eBay for "pre-approved bidders only."

    I've had that from German companies and no problems. They want to get a
    contact and be sure you are a real bidder, and to bother to register
    shows you are keen.

    Bogus bids are a waste of time and money.

    Bernard Hill
    Selkirk, Scotland
    Bernard Hill, Jul 27, 2003

  3. W5PT

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:32:54 GMT, "W5PT" <> wrote:

    >OK, I give up. I've been burned by scams and figured out a few, but I've
    >not seen an ad like this on eBay for "pre-approved bidders only."

    It's fairly common on certain, usually high-ticket, items. The Seller
    is requiring that bidders have an established track-record (feedback)
    and a valid means of payment. They also sometimes screen the Bidder
    to see if the bidder understands that the item will be shipped from
    (insert country) and shipping costs will be high if you are in another
    country and duty may have to be paid. In some cases, the Seller wants
    to make sure you understand you are bidding in UK pounds and not US
    dollars. You'd be amazed how many people don't read ads and still
    bid.

    If a Seller says that he will furnish the shipping amount at the close
    of the auction, that isn't really a red flag either. Just e-mail the
    Seller and ask how it will be based. If he doesn't reply, that's a
    red flag.

    I put a shipping amount in my ads for sales within the US and a line
    that says e-mail for costs if you are not in the US. I'll compute
    them for that person and mail them right back.

    I would not consider the either of these things to be a red flag at
    all. It indicates that the Seller is an experienced Seller that isn't
    going to put up with the nonsense of someone bidding, winning, and
    backing out of the sale. This hurts the genuine bidders.

    The only real red flag to me is when the Seller only accepts payment
    by Western Union, bank transfer, or certified check. That pretty much
    indicates a disappearing Seller and no product delivered.

    --
    Tony Cooper aka:
    Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s
    Tony Cooper, Jul 27, 2003
  4. W5PT

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> writes

    >The only real red flag to me is when the Seller only accepts payment
    >by Western Union, bank transfer, or certified check. That pretty much
    >indicates a disappearing Seller and no product delivered.

    Don't extend that to Europe. In many European countries (eg Germany)
    credit cards are rare and companies don't take them. Internally they
    despatch COD but that's not available overseas so they need bank
    transfer. I've twice bought cameras from Germany with bank transfer and
    no problem. A reputable company, though.

    Bernard Hill
    Selkirk, Scotland
    Bernard Hill, Jul 27, 2003
  5. W5PT

    maark Guest

    and he evaporated now from eBay auction site!!!
    Have a look!
    maark

    maark, Jul 27, 2003