Re: WARNING

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeroen Wenting, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Jeroen Wenting, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Jeroen Wenting

    Sam Anderson Guest

    Looks legit. Lots of good feedback on camera sales. I would bit if it were
    me.

    "Brian Caldersmith" <> wrote in message
    > I am very new to this scene and was looking at purchasing an Olympus C-740
    > from ebay at $760, because Australian prices are around $949 from normal
    > retail outlets.
    > Your comment has made me think this may not be a clever moove. I was

    looking

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2941917977&category=30012

    Sam Anderson, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Jeroen Wenting

    J Guest

    the fact that he says "shipping costs will be specified later" doesn't do it
    for me.

    J, Jul 27, 2003
  4. Jeroen Wenting

    John Bean Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 07:40:23 -0400, "J" <> wrote:

    >the fact that he says "shipping costs will be specified later" doesn't do it
    >for me.

    He does? I must have misread the "free shipping inside Australia" bit
    then :)

    --
    Regards

    John Bean

    John Bean, Jul 27, 2003
  5. Jeroen Wenting

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <>, Jeroen Wenting
    <> writes
    >so what's new?
    >Over half of what you find at ebay are scams and fraud.

    Well I don't think so.

    I've bought over 260 items on Ebay and only once have I regretted it.
    Then it wasn't fraud - the seller was very silly and packaged the items
    badly in spite of my advice before despatch.

    Of course you *must* know your prices and not bid too high, but that's
    just like shopping in the high street. Convenience versus price.

    Bernard Hill
    Selkirk, Scotland

    Bernard Hill, Jul 27, 2003
  6. Jeroen Wenting

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <3f23a9b2$0$26535$>, Brian
    Caldersmith <> writes
    >I am very new to this scene and was looking at purchasing an Olympus C-740
    >from ebay at $760, because Australian prices are around $949 from normal
    >retail outlets.
    >Your comment has made me think this may not be a clever moove. I was looking
    >at this example:
    >http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2941917977&category=30012
    >which all seems to read well with good buyer references.
    >I would be keen to hear any advice on the subject.
    >Brian.

    Just be careful of GST on imports. AFIAK you can be charged tax on
    delivery but I could be wrong as I'm not in Australia, but Europe. And I
    don't buy camera equipment from the USA mainly because of the import
    taxes and shipping cost.

    However, whatever you do contact the seller and get a quote for shipping
    before you bid. Only last won with a $1 bid for small book and got a $20
    shipping bill.

    (I sent the $1 and said not to send the item. It was worth it to get out
    of the contract!)

    Bernard Hill
    Selkirk, Scotland

    Bernard Hill, Jul 27, 2003
  7. Another warning flag is that seller only wants money order or cashier's
    check. No credit cards or PayPal where there is a hope of recourse if
    needed.
    Also note that the seller has a similar deal with a "buy it now" price of
    $1350 instead of $130. Could be an honest mistake. could be a scam. If in
    doubt stay away.
    Charlie

    Charlie Bress, Jul 27, 2003
  8. Jeroen Wenting

    WebKatz Guest

    > so what's new?
    > Over half of what you find at ebay are scams and fraud.

    You are so right, Jeroen . Plese read this warning about EBAY:

    EBay will re-write your hard drive. Not only that, but it will scramble any
    disks that are even close to your computer. It will recalibrate your
    refrigerator's coolness setting so all your ice cream goes melty. It will
    demagnetize the strips on all your credit cards; screw up the tracking on
    your television and use subspace field harmonics to scratch any CD's you try
    to play.
    It will give your ex-girlfriend your new phone number. It will mix Kool-Aid
    into your fish tank. It will drink all your beer and leave its socks out on
    the coffee table when there's company coming over. It will put a dead kitten
    in the back pocket of your good suit pants and hide your car keys when you
    are late for work.

    EBay will make you fall in love with a penguin. It will give you nightmares
    about circus midgets. It will pour sugar in your gas tank and shave off both
    your eyebrows while dating your girlfriend behind your back and billing the
    dinner and hotel room to your Discover card.

    It will seduce your grandmother. It does not matter if she is dead, such is
    the power of EBay, and it reaches out beyond the grave to sully those things
    we hold most dear.

    It moves your car randomly around parking lots so you can't find it. It will
    kick your dog. It will leave libidinous messages on your boss's voice mail
    in your voice! It is insidious and subtle. It is dangerous and terrifying to
    behold. It is also a rather interesting shade of mauve.

    EBay will give you Dutch Elm disease. It will leave the toilet seat up. It
    will make a batch of Meth in your bathtub and then leave bacon cooking on
    the stove while it goes out to chase grade-schoolers with your new snow
    blower.

    WebKatz, Jul 27, 2003
  9. Jeroen Wenting

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:13:01 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
    <> wrote:

    >Also note that the seller has a similar deal with a "buy it now" price of
    >$1350 instead of $130. Could be an honest mistake. could be a scam. If in
    >doubt stay away.

    I can't pull up the ad, but the above is most likely *not* a mistake
    if the $1350 is a reasonable price for the item. The "buy it now"
    price is for the people that don't want to take a chance on winning
    the bid, and feel the BIN price is a good deal.

    The Seller may start the auction at $1.00, or any small figure,
    because some Bidders hope the auction will end at under market value.
    The BIN price is no longer available once a bid is placed. It's a
    one-time, grab-it-now deal.

    Reserves are the same. A Seller may have a reserve of $1350 on the
    item, but start the bidding at $1.00. The Seller feels the low
    starting price will create more interest.

    Neither a BIN price far over the bid price, or a high reserve with a
    low bid, are any indication of a scam. They are just selling
    techniques the Seller thinks might work.

    The advice of "if in doubt, stay away" is dead-accurate, though. Even
    if it's not a scam, a person shouldn't spend major bucks on an item if
    the person has any inkling that he might not be pleased.

    Generally, digital cameras don't sell for much less than they can be
    purchased for at a place like Best Buy when you consider shipping
    costs. Returns for defective items are complicated and expensive (you
    pay shipping) and there's always the unknown factor from not being
    able to examine what you purchase.

    The guy that gets a good buy on a digital lives somewhere where
    discount outlets are not in his area, where the Buyer is patient and
    is willing to bid and lose on several auctions before he completes
    one, where the Buyer calculates the *total* price including shipping,
    and where the Buyer stays firm on his absolute top price and doesn't
    just bid to get a camera.

    I saved $44 on a Nikon digital (including shipping costs and deducting
    the offsetting sales tax I would have paid locally), but it took me
    about 10 auctions before my price was good. I wasn't in a hurry, and
    was willing to be patient.

    --
    Tony Cooper aka:
    Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s

    Tony Cooper, Jul 27, 2003
  10. Jeroen Wenting

    Abrasha Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:

    > Recourse with PayPal! This is a joke, right? PayPal is probably one of the
    > biggest scams on eBay! I don't accept PayPal, because of their outrageous
    > fees!

    Outrageous fees? You don't know what you are talking about.

    2.9% is not outrageous fees. The bank takes 4.75% on my "regular" credit card
    transactions, 3.89% on "touch tone" authorization. Only if you have a "swipe"
    terminal can you get l ower rates with the banks.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Jul 28, 2003
  11. Jeroen Wenting

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <>, Abrasha
    <> writes
    >Bill Crocker wrote:
    >>
    >> Recourse with PayPal! This is a joke, right? PayPal is probably one of the
    >> biggest scams on eBay! I don't accept PayPal, because of their outrageous
    >> fees!
    >>

    >Outrageous fees? You don't know what you are talking about.
    >
    >2.9% is not outrageous fees. The bank takes 4.75% on my "regular" credit card
    >transactions, 3.89% on "touch tone" authorization. Only if you have a "swipe"
    >terminal can you get l ower rates with the banks.

    Yes, and even then I pay 2.75% PLUS the £20 a month rental fee...

    Nope, I agree, Paypal's fees are not outrageous by any stretch.

    Bernard Hill
    Selkirk, Scotland

    Bernard Hill, Jul 28, 2003
  12. Jeroen Wenting

    Nick Guest

    "Abrasha" <> wrote in message
    > Bill Crocker wrote:
    > >
    > > Recourse with PayPal! This is a joke, right? PayPal is probably

    one of the
    > > biggest scams on eBay! I don't accept PayPal, because of their

    outrageous
    > > fees!
    > >

    > Outrageous fees? You don't know what you are talking about.
    >
    > 2.9% is not outrageous fees. The bank takes 4.75% on my "regular"

    credit card
    > transactions, 3.89% on "touch tone" authorization. Only if you have a

    "swipe"
    > terminal can you get l ower rates with the banks.
    >
    > Abrasha
    > http://www.abrasha.com

    I also about the fee not being outrageous(shhhhhhh). Maybe Bill didn't
    see the _._ after the 2? Absolutely no where else do I know of, where
    you can use a merchant card and get charged just 2.9% . Anyone know of
    one cheaper?

    Nick, Jul 28, 2003