Re: WARNING: OPERA IS A SERIOUS TREAT FOR YOUR COMPUTER

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by RaymondB.Waller@Compuscore.net, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:00:15 -0000, <> wrote:
    >
    >> Subject: WARNING: OPERA IS A SERIOUS THREAT TO YOUR COMPUTER

    >Ah, you're back again, well it is about that time I suppose. You're that
    >person who either posts unsubstantiated claims anonymously (as you did
    >earlier today) or uses a dead person's name claiming (every few weeks)
    >that they just installed Opera and it made the roof on their house fall
    >off and their dog run away to live with your ex-wife etc.
    >
    >Does it annoy you that no matter how many times you post this silly
    >nonsense no one rises to the bait and replies abusively? Perhaps this is
    >something you really can't comprehend: the Opera community simply isn't a
    >bunch of fanboys foamers always looking for a fight whilst out on their
    >"quest". They're mostly friendly, helpful and intelligent (not to mention
    >pragmatic) enough to spot a troll a mile off and respond sensibly. Maybe
    >you should think about why so many people with these traits are attracted
    >to the same web browser?

    I'd be happy to send you photos of my screen as Opera destroyed all
    the data on my computer, except I did not have my digital camera handy
    to take photos of my screen as it devoured everything. This was not a
    virus, spyware, nor a hardware failure. This was Opera. After the
    reformat the computer works fine again. However, I plan to get a new
    computer soon. After I backup all my important data, I might just
    install Opera again, and will be ready to take photos as it destroys
    my computer data. I will also record all instances of spyware that
    Opera sucks in like a magnet, but only if Opera does not devour my
    data immediately after installing it. I will post the results on a
    website.

    I'm not trying to pick a fight. I used Opera and I learned how
    destructive it is. Besides that, it's ugly, can not render websites
    correctly, and crashed more than any other piece of software I have
    ever used. (Those were the earlier versions, before version 6.x or was
    it 7.x. I cant remember whch of them did all the damage, but I would
    never install it again). What can I say, I tolerated the earlier
    versions, but never liked them, then the problems began as I upgraded
    and one version got worse than the next. I hate Opera, hate
    everything about it. It amazes me that people like yourself actually
    pay money for such garbage when you can get Firefox for free. Firefox
    has it's flaws, but it works and is better than IE, and I wont even
    attempt to compare it to Opera because there is no comparison. The
    difference is like heaven and hell. If a piece of software is going
    to destroy my computer, than it's my obligation to warn others. A
    lawsuit would be my preferred method to deal with this, but with
    everything gone and wiped out, how can I prove it. Maybe if I knew
    computer expert that could spend weeks putting all the pieces back
    together of what remained on my computer, I'd have scientific proof.
    But that's not possible, and I am not willing to get involved in all
    the legal matters. I dont need proof, I KNOW that Opera severely
    damaged the data on my computer, and that's good enough for me. I
    live in the USA and I have a thing called freedom of speech, and I
    will use that freedom to warn others, as long as Opera continues to
    peddle their trashware. Some people will still install the Opera
    garbage, ad many will suffer, but if you read this message, YOU HAVE
    BEEN WARNED.

    Opera (all versions of it), are the worst pieces of software ever
    written. If anyone installs it, BEWARE. You better have a good backup
    because Opera will destroy your operating system and eradicate other
    data, leaving your computer unable to boot. If you are not happy with
    IE, use Firefox or any other non-microsoft browser, but NEVER allow
    Opera anywhere near your computer.

    Opera is good for one thing. If you hate your boss, or anyone else,
    install Opera on THEIR computer and watch them get hysterical as Opera
    destroys their computer.... So, Opera is good for something ....

    I just found out that Opera is not just dangerous on a PC, look at
    this article and what it does to a MAC.

    Be sure to read THIS on
    http://jroller.com/page/aszegedi?entry=mail_woes_on_mac

    Mail woes on Mac

    It provides some comfort that I'm not the only one wrestling with the
    problem.

    I thought that when I switch to Mac, I'll be able to import Opera
    mailboxes to Mail.App. Opera stores mail in plain ol' RFC 2822
    compliant mbox files, so it should be a vanilla thing.

    Well, it is not.

    It happens that the importer chokes on a message, and then stops at
    it. Of course, no error message is shown, I just see that the imported
    mbox has lot less messages than it should.

    Then I thought I'll keep using Opera. I moved the Opera mail folder
    from the PC to the Mac, installed Opera for Mac, and was happy.

    Until I noticed Opera for Mac (both 8.50 and 8.51) eats 20% of the CPU
    constantly. When idle. With no windows open. With no mail and RSS
    feeds being fetched in the meanwhile.

    That's when I decided to try importing to Mail.App again and betray my
    three-year loyalty to Opera. Anyway, lots of stuff doesn't integrate
    with Opera - iCal, Spotlight, etc. (In Opera's defense, it has its own
    indexing/searching/smart folders that's as good as Spotlight and
    Mail.App's smart folders are. But it isn't integrated, and unless they
    make a Spotlight plugin, it's doomed as I got accustomed to going to
    Spotlight as my one-stop-shop to finding anything on the machine).
    This time though, instead of importing the zillion of mbox files Opera
    natively keeps (one per account and per month), I decided to use the
    "Export" function in Opera. What's to say, it's not exactly debugged.
    My "Received" folder holds a bit more than 40000 messages, but the
    export plops a mbox file that only contains about 5000, apparently
    randomly selected ones. F*cking hilarious.

    I also exported the "Sent" folder, and it got exported nicely. At
    least, a quick grep "\nFrom " sent.mbs | wc -l produced the same
    number as that displayed by Opera.

    Mail.App however doesn't import only the very first message. Oh, and
    after it finished importing then it goes on to consume 85% of the CPU
    and grow its virtual memory to cca. 1.43 GB before I killed it. I made
    a smaller mbox file by keeping only first three message, to experiment
    on. When I import it, only the first message makes it through. If I
    remove the second message, then the first and the third message get
    imported. So, it's some weirdness with the second message. Granted, it
    is UTF-8 coded. Let's remove all hungarian accents from it, and
    reimport. Again, import chokes on it. Let's remove hungarian accents
    from subject and to lines as well. Nada. Let's remove all mentions of
    UTF-8 at all in headers (by now, the message is pretty much ASCII
    anyway). It still doesn't import. Darn. I have no idea what's wrong
    with that message right now. It looks similar to those before and
    after it. And it makes the import choke.

    At this point, I realized that since I bought this machine to increase
    my productivity, I should probably put hacking a workaround for
    Mail.App import behind me and do something I'm actually paid for. So
    the state of affairs at the moment is:

    I hate Opera's export functionality
    I hate Mail.App's import functionality
    I hate Opera for eating 20% of CPU while idle
    I'm less happy with the Mac experience than I was last week
    I dislike the fact that you can't easily customize on global level the
    web browser and mail app that other apps should use. At least on
    Windows, Opera took over nicely, and all programs that needed to open
    a browser respected the setting and didn't blindly launch IE. On Mac
    however, iChat will always launch Safari. iCal will always send
    meeting confirmation's through Mail.App. Not nice.
    I dislike the fact that Opera doesn't do everything it could to better
    integrate into the environment. Keywords: Spotlight plugin for search,
    Address Book for contacts, Keychain for passwords.
    Nov 28 2005, 07:44:26 PM CET Permalink
    , Jan 2, 2006

  2. on 02.01.2006 22:15 wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <> wrote:

    > and one version got worse than the next. I hate Opera, hate
    > everything about it. It amazes me that people like yourself actually
    > pay money for such garbage when you can get Firefox for free. Firefox

    Opera is freeware.

    --
    Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

    http://vegard2.no -
    Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
    Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
    Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
    games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
    18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
    Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football
    Vegard Krog Petersen, Jan 2, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:00:15 -0000, <> wrote:

    /snip as it is all off topic.

    Cross posting cut as well, this reply is only to alt.fan.mozilla

    Please don't cross post this here. I have nothing against Opera, and I
    actually use it a fair amount, though I prefer Mozilla. But since this
    is a mozilla support group, this discussion is pointless.

    If you want to start a debate on the relative merits of different
    internet suites, fine, but do it only here.

    Cross posting is rarely a good idea. On the rare occasions when it is
    needed, always note the cross post in the body of the message, and, in
    most cases, set a followup to the group where you would like discussion
    to continue.

    http://www.livinginternet.com/u/ua_cross.htm

    http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/C/cross-post.html

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
    > on 02.01.2006 22:15 wrote:
    >> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <> wrote:

    >> and one version got worse than the next. I hate Opera, hate
    >> everything about it. It amazes me that people like yourself actually
    >> pay money for such garbage when you can get Firefox for free. Firefox

    > Opera is freeware.

    You get what you pay for.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
    > Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
    >> on 02.01.2006 22:15 wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <> wrote:

    >>> and one version got worse than the next. I hate Opera, hate
    >>> everything about it. It amazes me that people like yourself
    >>> actually pay money for such garbage when you can get Firefox for
    >>> free. Firefox

    >> Opera is freeware.

    > You get what you pay for.

    Opera is Freeware indeed!
    And it's a good alternative for MS Explorer.

    --
    \\\|///
    {--O O--}
    El Capitán©, Jan 3, 2006
  6. nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:15:52
    -0600, in alt.windows-xp, the queezy keyboard of
    spewed the following:

    |On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <> wrote:
    |
    |>On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:00:15 -0000, <> wrote:
    <snip 154 lines of bullshit.

    I'm almost speechless, almost.

    Get a grip, get a life, take drugs, do beer bongs, get laid, slap your
    mom, slap your dad, play with your sister, get a lobotomy, consider
    seppuku, seek professional help and by all means, use Firefucks; you
    owe it to yourself.
    --

    -nos1eep

    http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/
    nos1eep, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Gary Woods Guest

    nos1eep <> wrote:

    >I'm almost speechless, almost.

    Googling the OP is _most_ informative.

    --
    Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
    fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68 0B
    Gary Woods, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Jan 3, 2006
  9. Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Jan 3, 2006
  10. nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:23:31 GMT,
    in alt.windows-xp, the queezy keyboard of Gary Woods
    <> spewed the following:

    |nos1eep <> wrote:
    |
    |>I'm almost speechless, almost.
    |
    |Googling the OP is _most_ informative.

    Oh, ok. He couldn't figure out how to use it.

    nos1eep, Jan 3, 2006
  11. yakuza Guest

    "El Capitán©" <todoporlapatria(NOSPAM)@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
    >> Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:

    >>> Opera is freeware.

    >> You get what you pay for.

    > Opera is Freeware indeed!
    > And it's a good alternative for MS Explorer.

    Definitely!
    yakuza, Jan 3, 2006
  12. Snuffin Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 05:51:46 +0000, yakuza wrote:

    > "El Capitán©" <todoporlapatria(NOSPAM)@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

    >>> You get what you pay for.

    >> Opera is Freeware indeed!
    >> And it's a good alternative for MS Explorer.

    > Definitely!

    And according do Davey Winder in PC Pro, it is now the most secure browser
    out of (in order of security merit) Opera, IE and Firefox.

    My problem with Opera is that it does not handle plugins well either in
    Windows or Linux. I cannot get it to pick up Real Player (more freeware!)
    plugins or to handle the flash plugin despite pointing it at all the right
    places. Java is also a failure.

    That said, these are not essential. Opera is free as in beer since
    Firefox turned up but was actually worth a small fee for the ad free
    version before that. It is small, works well and includes a great mail
    client. What is the beef with it (if you are not Stallman and disapprove
    of anything that is not free as in speech)?

    By the way, if you are Stallman and disapproveof anything that is not free
    as in speech, SUSE could be compared with Opera to some extent. Yast, as
    I understand it, has only just gone totally free and nobody can understand
    the source code!
    Snuffin, Jan 3, 2006
  13. Ivan Magerle Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 03:42:00 +0100, nos1eep wrote:

    > It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:23:31 GMT,
    > in alt.windows-xp, the queezy keyboard of Gary Woods
    > <> spewed the following:
    >
    > |nos1eep <> wrote:
    > |
    > |>I'm almost speechless, almost.
    > |
    > |Googling the OP is _most_ informative.
    >
    > Oh, ok. He couldn't figure out how to use it.

    Or maybe Googling is going to destroy his PC. ;)

    --
    This fire is out of control, I'm going to burn this city, burn this city...
    Ivan Magerle, Jan 3, 2006
  14. nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:12:06
    +0100, in alt.windows-xp, the queezy keyboard of "Ivan Magerle"
    <-com.hr.invalid> spewed the following:

    |On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 03:42:00 +0100, nos1eep wrote:
    |
    |> It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:23:31 GMT,
    |> in alt.windows-xp, the queezy keyboard of Gary Woods
    |> <> spewed the following:
    |>
    |> |nos1eep <> wrote:
    |> |
    |> |
    |> |Googling the OP is _most_ informative.
    |>
    |> Oh, ok. He couldn't figure out how to use it.
    |
    |Or maybe Googling is going to destroy his PC. ;)

    I have an armadillo hat that may be of some use to him. Works better
    than tinfoil. Opera has been my main browser for 3 or 4 years now, no
    meltdown yet.

    nos1eep, Jan 3, 2006
  15. scotbitz Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:37:12 -0000, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    > Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
    >> on 02.01.2006 22:15 wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <> wrote:

    >>> and one version got worse than the next. I hate Opera, hate
    >>> everything about it. It amazes me that people like yourself actually
    >>> pay money for such garbage when you can get Firefox for free. Firefox

    >> Opera is freeware.

    > You get what you pay for.

    Opera is now FREE.
    It has web browser,mail,newsgroups,chat,newsfeeds.More
    flexible that IE & Outlook,faster(doesn't go belly up
    from time to time,like IE), all in one program, unlike MS.
    I sometimes wonder if some people who troll on here are
    employed by Microsoft..or at the least encouraged by them.
    However they obviously don't have much intelligence when it comes
    to trolling...can't spell, use phrases in correct context nor
    correct grammar.~Even resort to abuse at times.
    Allegedly Microsoft has used dubious practices to become
    dominant in software, world wide, and buying up companies,
    that challenged that dominance, by innovative software.
    What a thought ...being a slave of Microsoft....spending
    so much time trolling on MS's behalf. No life.

    --
    Using Opera
    scotbitz, Jan 3, 2006
  16. Sniper .308 Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 04:40:05 -0600, nos1eep
    <> wrote:

    >I have an armadillo hat that may be of some use to him. Works better
    >than tinfoil. Opera has been my main browser for 3 or 4 years now, no
    >meltdown yet.

    No, no armadillos or tin foil, they will make his computer crash for
    sure. Clearly the only think that had a meltdown was this idiots
    sorry excuse for a brain.
    Sniper .308, Jan 3, 2006
  17. Steve n Debs Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 06:56:17 GMT, Snuffin wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 05:51:46 +0000, yakuza wrote:
    >

    >> "El Capitán©" <todoporlapatria(NOSPAM)@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message

    >>> Opera is Freeware indeed!
    >>> And it's a good alternative for MS Explorer.

    >> Definitely!

    > And according do Davey Winder in PC Pro, it is now the most secure browser
    > out of (in order of security merit) Opera, IE and Firefox.

    You have to wonder about the reliability of anyone that considers IE more
    secre than Firefox
    Steve n Debs, Jan 3, 2006
  18. z Guest

    And they also enjoy Gilbert and Sullivan.

    z, Jan 3, 2006
  19. Scott Dorsey Guest

    z <> wrote:
    >And they also enjoy Gilbert and Sullivan.

    Oh, I....
    Built a better model than the one from Data General
    For databases vegetable, animal, and mineral;
    My OS handles CPU's with multiplexed duality,
    My PL/1 compiler shows impressive functionality.
    My storage system's better than magnetic core polarity;
    You needn't even bother checking out a bit for parity;
    There isn't any reason to install non-static floor matting;
    My disk drive has capacity for variable formatting.
    --scott
    Scott Dorsey, Jan 3, 2006
  20. "Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
    >z wrote:
    >>And they also enjoy Gilbert and Sullivan.

    > Oh, I....
    > Built a better model than the one from Data General
    > For databases vegetable, animal, and mineral;
    > My OS handles CPU's with multiplexed duality,
    > My PL/1 compiler shows impressive functionality.
    > My storage system's better than magnetic core polarity;
    > You needn't even bother checking out a bit for parity;
    > There isn't any reason to install non-static floor matting;
    > My disk drive has capacity for variable formatting.

    ROTFL! :)) Brilliant!
    Richard Crowley, Jan 3, 2006