Re: WARNING: OPERA IS A SERIOUS THREAT TO YOUR COMPUTER

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by luckystrikeman@yahoo.com, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Wow, I found this old message and after reading it I am going to
    remove Opera immediately. Maybe they fixed this, but maybe not.
    Opera is always sort of flakey anyhow. Firefox works fine, and even
    IE works better than Opera. I dont know how many times I have had
    Opera running when it just vanishes from my screen, but it's still in
    memory if I do a 3 finger salute. Now I read this, and thats enough
    to make me remove it.

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 00:38:56 -0500,
    wrote:

> [...]
    >manually insert all of them one by one into another browser).
    >
    >One more thing that should be mentioned is that Opera is not
    >compatible with many websites. While most other browsers are
    >compatible with IE standards in most cases, Opera only works properly
    >on about half the websites on the internet.
    >
    >Another very important issue you should be aware of is the leak that
    >exists in the downloaded (unpaid) version. You know that little ad
    >that appears in the upper right corner. Well that ad allows your
    >computer to be flooded with spyware. Opera makes it sound like it's
    >just a minor annoyance to have that ad there until you send them some
    >money. What they neglect to tell you is the moment you open their
    >browser after installing their "free" download, you are inviting
    >malicious programmers and hackers into your computer. The first thing
    >they will do is get your email address and add it to spam lists. They
    >the'll make a detailed list ofeverything you have on your computer,
    >from the type of interests you have to how many hours you spend
    >online, which websites you visit, and the first time you enter any
    >banking info, they will record your credit card numbers, bank account
    >info, and anything else they can record about you. Prepare
    >for identity theft, spyware taking over your computer, and your email
    >becoming filled with spam. It is highly suspected that the very first
    >time you opwn their browser, you become infected with spyware which
    >alone is enough to destroy your operating system.
    >
    >If you have already installed Opera on your computer, it is most
    >likely too late. However, if you are still able to boot Windows, be
    >sure to do a BACKUP of ALL your important data immediately. It will
    >just be a matter of days before you will no longer be able to restore
    >Windows, and will be forced to format your harddrive and reinstall
    >everything. Caution, DO NOT backup your Opera folder or Windows
    >itself. You MUST start from scratch, and must not restore any part of
    >Opera from your Backup, or you will never be able to recover from this
    >seriously destructive software, and the problem will continue forever,
    >until you totally wipe every trace of Opera out of your computer.
    >
    >WARNING: OPERA IS A SERIOUS THREAT TO YOUR COMPUTER
    >
    >So far no data exists whether or not Opera damages other operating
    >systems. Watch for our upcoming website and discussion forum to
    >learn more. (www.compuscore.net). All information included in this
    >post will soon be available on the website, along with more detail.
    >This site will include the testimonials of others who have experienced
    >permanent destruction of their operating system from using Opera. We
    >currently have several computer programmers working to determine the
    >exact process Opera uses to corrupt Windows which files are destroyed,
    >and the order of process of destruction.
    >
    >WARNING: OPERA IS A SERIOUS THREAT TO YOUR COMPUTER

    , Nov 8, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Wow, I found this old message and after reading it I am going to
    > remove Opera immediately. Maybe they fixed this, but maybe not.
    > Opera is always sort of flakey anyhow. Firefox works fine, and even
    > IE works better than Opera. I dont know how many times I have had
    > Opera running when it just vanishes from my screen, but it's still in
    > memory if I do a 3 finger salute. Now I read this, and thats enough
    > to make me remove it.

    first of all, what proof is there besides this persons word
    for it. Perhaps he's a disgruntled employee who wants to
    get back at them. Or perhaps *he* did something wrong and
    tries to blame it on Opera. Or perhaps his OS is causing
    problems and he's trying to put the blame somewhere else.

    Furthermore, this is really old. Opera hasn't been a paid
    for program for a long time.

    I've had Opera for a very long time, and I've never had
    anything like that happen to me.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 8, 2007

  3. yogi22 Guest

    On Nov 8, 2:32 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Wow, I found this old message and after reading it I am going to
    > > remove Opera immediately. Maybe they fixed this, but maybe not.
    > > Opera is always sort of flakey anyhow. Firefox works fine, and even
    > > IE works better than Opera. I dont know how many times I have had
    > > Opera running when it just vanishes from my screen, but it's still in
    > > memory if I do a 3 finger salute. Now I read this, and thats enough
    > > to make me remove it.

    > first of all, what proof is there besides this persons word
    > for it. Perhaps he's a disgruntled employee who wants to
    > get back at them. Or perhaps *he* did something wrong and
    > tries to blame it on Opera. Or perhaps his OS is causing
    > problems and he's trying to put the blame somewhere else.
    >
    > Furthermore, this is really old. Opera hasn't been a paid
    > for program for a long time.
    >
    > I've had Opera for a very long time, and I've never had
    > anything like that happen to me.
    >
    > --
    > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but messages emailed to me will be
    > disregarded!!!!
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    There is a long (semi interesting) thread on this subject from a year
    and a half ago, at:

    http://www.archivum.info/opera.general/2006-03/msg00055.html

    It appears that Mr. Waller is a PITA on that newsgroup.
    kk
    yogi22, Nov 8, 2007
  4. Mason C Guest

    I've been using Opera for years -- since it first appeared.
    I love it. I've had NO problems.

    Mason C

    Mason C, Nov 27, 2007
  5. On 2007-11-27, Mason C <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 01:12:55 -0600, wrote:
    >
    >>Wow, I found this old message and after reading it I am going to
    >>remove Opera immediately.

    [...]

    >>>Besides destroying your operating system, Opera is known to devour
    >>>your bookmarks, leaving you with a blank page, and is even known to
    >>>devour itself, deleting it's own files.

    > I've been using Opera for years -- since it first appeared.
    > I love it. I've had NO problems.

    Odd that there's no mention of this horrible problem anywhere else. One
    would think at least a couple people might have written about it in the
    2+ years since the purported warning was posted.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 27, 2007
  6. Splibbilla Guest

    running opera and ff right now.

    27 Nov 2007,Mason C <> in

    > I've been using Opera for years -- since it first appeared.
    > I love it. I've had NO problems.

    for me...
    while not as convenient as ff, and potentially perplexing if mouse gestures are left on,
    opera has been fine, (despite having ie6 installed - and occasionally run - on the same
    computers!)

    *if* i were more curious, i'd trace back to the original author and check out their
    situation.

    --
    http://www.googlewhack.com/nack.htm
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/review/971723146/1/view "... curiosity sure killed the