Re: WAN side of router to public WIFI network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by James Egan, Nov 30, 2010.

  1. James Egan

    James Egan Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:06:32 -0700, Bob S <>
    wrote:

    >What I am looking for is a hardware solution like a variant of
    >a wireless access point that is the client on the wireless side
    >and a server on the wired side. (A normal wireless access point
    >behaves as a server accepting connections on the wireless side
    >and behaves like a client on the wired side.
    >
    >Is anyone familiar with such a device?

    Is this the mode you mean?
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

    Jim.
    James Egan, Nov 30, 2010

  2. James Egan

    James Egan Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:23:05 -0700, Bob S <>
    wrote:

    >Thank you Jim. Client Mode appears to be the trick, The
    >Wireless access points I have available do not have a
    >true client mode. The bridging mode only talks to an
    >identical WAP. Now that I know the words I am looking for,
    >I just need to find one without that restriction.
    >The WIKI page describes what I need to the letter, but it
    >may take time to find one which actually implements the
    >functionality.

    This contains the list of dd-wrt supported hardware
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

    Just flash the dd-wrt firmware on whatever hardware you can get hold
    of and you'll probably save yourself some cash.

    Jim
    James Egan, Dec 3, 2010