Re: WAN side of router to public WIFI network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Brian Cryer, Nov 30, 2010.

  1. Brian Cryer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Bob S" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am new to this group but not to networking machines.
    > I am wondering if anyone has seen hardware that matches what
    > I am trying to do.
    > Consider a standard non-wireless router like the kind for
    > home use. The WAN side normally connects to a cable or DSL
    > modem and then out to the Internet. I want to connect that
    > port to something that could be a client to another wireless
    > network.
    > One way I could accomplish this would be to use a laptop with
    > both wired and wireless capability. The wireless side would
    > connect to the target wireless network and the wired side would
    > connect to the router. It would then have to be configured to
    > do IP forwarding.
    > What I am looking for is a hardware solution like a variant of
    > a wireless access point that is the client on the wireless side
    > and a server on the wired side. (A normal wireless access point
    > behaves as a server accepting connections on the wireless side
    > and behaves like a client on the wired side.

    I may have misunderstood what you are after, but it sounds like you simply
    need to get a wireless access point. You might find it as cheap to buy a
    wireless router, but treat it like a switch (not a router) and simply daisy
    chain it to your current router.

    Does this help or have I misunderstood what you are after?
    Brian Cryer
    Brian Cryer, Nov 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.