Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Feb 11, 2010.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in message news:bMTcn.98186$2...

    > Hi - currently I have two phones and broadband with Virgin Media.
    >
    > Line 1 rental - £11, talk unlimited £25 - 5 sockets around the house - big house, 3 wired phones, and 4 DECT phones
    >
    > Line 2 rental - another £11 plus shares the talk unlimited of line 1 - only 1 socket in my office.
    >
    > Then I pay £25 per month for Broadband, I have negotiated a small monthly re-bate over those costs, but still it is a lot.
    >
    > The cost of running line 2 I get back from my employer (I work from home and only use it for work)
    >
    > but line one which is for personal and family is costing £36 plus calls to mobiles which are not included.
    >
    > Virgin broadband (NTL as was) has been 100% reliable, it is fast, good quality, has no download limits, and although not the
    > cheapest I am basically happy with it, but their phone line costs seem OTT. so been thinking about VOIP.
    >
    > idea is to keep one line (in fact - line 2), and broadband, but nothing else from virgin.
    >
    > I called Vonage, told them I am thinking of replacing line 1 with Vonage £5.99 per month package. Specifically asked the sales
    > person if after successfully testing it, I could install in such a way alll my sockets around the house would go through vonage,
    > was told yes no problem - I could wire the vonage router to nearby socket in such a way this would work... we even discussed if
    > this needed to be the master socket and I was told no.
    >
    > Got it, tried it , with just one phone plugged in to Vonage adaptor and then to my router, and I like it. So I called them and
    > said "now to go to next step, connect to my socket so all the sockets work on vonage throughout the house.
    >
    > Was told this isn't possible, only works in North America
    >
    > Wow, what a load of nonsense. I could of course purchase a DECT phone with 5 handsets, but my experience is (we are a large
    > family) that people nevr put them back on their chargers, however many you have, and you really need at least one wired phone on
    > each floor, otherwise phone rings, and you run around trying to find a handset!
    >
    > So, basically I was mis-sold it, I am in a free trial period so no problem I can cancel.
    >
    > but I like it, I like what it does, and like the potential for saving £30 per month over virgin, and it can be done in USA, can it
    > be done with a bit of know how here?
    >
    > anyone any experience with that?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Guy

    Just curious.
    Are you the same person that normally posts here under "Stephen Hammond" <>?

    Vonage is an over priced service IMHO and I am sure "Steve" has mentioned he uses smartvoip.com
    like many of us here.

    Running several phones from an ATA phone port is possible but the ringers might struggle with
    more than two. if they are entirely line powered. Phones that are also TAMs and FAXs that plug into
    the mains, tend to work better. And DECTs (obviously)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 11, 2010

  2. Graham.

    Paulg0 Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > Running several phones from an ATA phone port is possible but the ringers
    > might struggle with
    > more than two. if they are entirely line powered. Phones that are also
    > TAMs and FAXs that plug into
    > the mains, tend to work better. And DECTs (obviously)

    If there is a problem you can always use a REN booster such as the one here:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Telephone-REN...vr_id=&cguid=c779618c1250a0e201e68f16fc7fc883

    Paul

    Paulg0, Feb 11, 2010