Re: Vonage ATA devices

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by John Levine, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. John Levine

    John Levine Guest

    >The Motorola VT1005v device is specific to Vonage and manufactured for
    >them. What other manufacturers' devices will work for Vonage, ...

    I'd be rather surprised if anything else would work. When they were
    using Cisco ATAs, they set them up with a specific configuration and
    locked it. That's why you see lots of really cheap ATAs on ebay that
    only suckers buy, because they're useless for anything else.

    > Do I need to request from Vonage their allowing some other device to
    > work with their system, and do they allow other devices, or only
    > those they supply?

    You can ask, but again I'll be surprised if they say anyyhing but no.

    Some of the other VoIP vendors will let you provide your own equipment,
    anything from a Grandstream phone to an Asterisk PBX.

    Regards,
    John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

    John Levine, Apr 5, 2004

  2. > > locked it. That's why you see lots of really cheap ATAs on ebay that
    > > only suckers buy, because they're useless for anything else.

    > What in the locked config makes them useless?

    The fact that you can't change the configuration at all. It only talks to
    Vonage.

    > Can these be used in a lab for cheap POTS to IP phone converters?

    If you have a closed network and can spoof the IP addresses that Vonage
    uses for their servers, probably.

    But if I were you, I'd get a Grandstream phone. It's not very expensive,
    and it's a lot more flexible.

    John R Levine, Apr 6, 2004

  3. According to my ATA 186 manual, you can unlock a locked configuration by
    resetting the ATA to the factory default settings, and go from there.

    Chuck McDevitt, Apr 6, 2004
  4. John Levine

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <<>> "John R
    Levine" <> did ramble:

    >> > locked it. That's why you see lots of really cheap ATAs on ebay that
    >> > only suckers buy, because they're useless for anything else.

    >> What in the locked config makes them useless?

    >The fact that you can't change the configuration at all. It only talks to
    >Vonage.

    You can pay Vonage to unlock it... It's not bad, only $10 or $15 or
    something.

    --
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

    DevilsPGD, Apr 6, 2004
  5. John Levine

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <<Wfycc.83398$K91.182269@attbi_s02>> "Chuck McDevitt"
    <> did ramble:

    >According to my ATA 186 manual, you can unlock a locked configuration by
    >resetting the ATA to the factory default settings, and go from there.

    FACTRESET# or something else? -- They locked down FACTRESET# so that it
    needs the password.

    --
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

    DevilsPGD, Apr 7, 2004
  6. John Levine

    Guest

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 03:20:35 GMT, DevilsPGD
    <> wrote:

    >In message <<Wfycc.83398$K91.182269@attbi_s02>> "Chuck McDevitt"
    ><> did ramble:
    >
    >>According to my ATA 186 manual, you can unlock a locked configuration by
    >>resetting the ATA to the factory default settings, and go from there.

    >FACTRESET# or something else? -- They locked down FACTRESET# so that it
    >needs the password.

    Nothing you can't fix with an eeprom burner. Come to think of it,
    maybe I should buy all those cheap ones on ebay, unlock them, and
    resell them.

    -Chris

    , Apr 8, 2004