Re: VOiP Solution

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stuart Millington, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. Note: x-posted and FU set to uk.telecom.voip

    On 28 Jul 2005 14:15:20 -0700, "Pred02" <> wrote:

    >I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in Boston. I
    >was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In addition, I would like

    IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2
    providers.

    >3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use that
    >with the regular coordless phone?

    IMO, yes. (I use a dedicated SIP phone at work and a Sipura ATA at
    home.) But, ask in uk.telecom.voip for others' first hand advice on
    ATAs and associated service providers.

    - Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
    - mailto:p http://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
    Stuart Millington, Jul 28, 2005

  2. Stuart Millington

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Stuart Millington wrote:
    > Note: x-posted and FU set to uk.telecom.voip
    >
    > On 28 Jul 2005 14:15:20 -0700, "Pred02" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in
    >> Boston. I was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In
    >> addition, I would like

    > IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2
    > providers.
    >
    >> 3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use
    >> that with the regular coordless phone?

    > IMO, yes. (I use a dedicated SIP phone at work and a Sipura ATA at
    > home.) But, ask in uk.telecom.voip for others' first hand advice on
    > ATAs and associated service providers.

    Also remember that Skype uses a proprietary protocol not SIP or any other
    protocol supported by an ATA so won't work with them.

    BTW if the OP is in the US why is he asking on a uk group..?
    comp.dcom.voice-over-ip is the one to use for the west side of the pond..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 29, 2005

  3. On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:02:49 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:
    >Stuart Millington wrote:

    >> IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2
    >> providers.

    >Also remember that Skype uses a proprietary protocol not SIP or any other
    >protocol supported by an ATA so won't work with them.

    The bit I said above ^^ "IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this..."
    covered that ;-)

    >BTW if the OP is in the US why is he asking on a uk group..?
    >comp.dcom.voice-over-ip is the one to use for the west side of the pond..!

    Possibly because he trusts uk.* users to give honest/accurate advice
    more than he trusts than Americans? ;-)

    Stuart Millington, Jul 29, 2005
  4. "Stuart Millington" <> wrote in message
    > Note: x-posted and FU set to uk.telecom.voip
    >
    > On 28 Jul 2005 14:15:20 -0700, "Pred02" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in Boston. I
    >>was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In addition, I would like

    > IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2

    Sype will work very well for you, there is no probplem with with the likes
    of Skype using proprietary protocol as to you the user it will be
    tranparrant.

    > providers.
    >
    >>3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use that
    >>with the regular coordless phone?

    > IMO, yes. (I use a dedicated SIP phone at work and a Sipura ATA at
    > home.) But, ask in uk.telecom.voip for others' first hand advice on
    > ATAs and associated service providers.

    I also use Vonage which I can also recommend. The Combination of Skype and
    Vonage over my Cable connection give me excellent flexability and I use them
    both on a Dualphone www.dualphone.net

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul Westwell, Jul 29, 2005
  5. Stuart Millington

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Stuart Millington wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:02:49 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Stuart Millington wrote:

    >>> IMO: Forget proprietary carp like this and go for SIP or IAX2
    >>> providers.

    >> Also remember that Skype uses a proprietary protocol not SIP or
    >> any other protocol supported by an ATA so won't work with them.

    > The bit I said above ^^ "IMO: Forget proprietary carp like
    > this..." covered that ;-)

    Ok, I wondered why you were suddenly talking about fish ;-)

    >> BTW if the OP is in the US why is he asking on a uk group..?
    >> comp.dcom.voice-over-ip is the one to use for the west side of the
    >> pond..!

    > Possibly because he trusts uk.* users to give honest/accurate
    > advice more than he trusts than Americans? ;-)

    Of course..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 29, 2005
  6. Think you will find there is a Boston in Linconshire England - posted fromm
    a UK email addy

    Monkeyonasurfboard, Jul 29, 2005
  7. On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:45:02 +0100, "Monkeyonasurfboard"
    <> wrote:

    >Think you will find there is a Boston in Linconshire England - posted fromm
    >a UK email addy

    The OP posted with a Boston University (USA) address via Google & AOL
    (Dulles, USA) and stated "I am in the US."

    What "UK email addy" are you referring to?

    Stuart Millington, Jul 31, 2005
  8. Stuart Millington

    themgt Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Stuart Millington wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:02:49 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Also remember that Skype uses a proprietary protocol not SIP or
    >>>any other protocol supported by an ATA so won't work with them.

    >> The bit I said above ^^ "IMO: Forget proprietary carp like
    >>this..." covered that ;-)

    > Ok, I wondered why you were suddenly talking about fish ;-)

    They're swimming in the VOIP solution of course.
    themgt, Jul 31, 2005