Re: VOIP & SIP on Nokia N series.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Brian A, Jul 10, 2009.

  1. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 02:07:06 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    > I have recently purchased an N79 and want to use it with my existing
    > [UK] Voipfone account.
    >
    > I have entered all the SIP details and the phone registers with
    > Voipfone, however it seems that the menu options to make internet calls
    > will only appear if I create a new account with one of two US based Voip
    > providers with $ accounts (Gismo5 and Vyke) and download settings or
    > something.
    >
    > Nokia have not been very helpful at all and Voipfone say it works with
    > the E series without any download, however E series manuals for show a
    > different configuration method, so now I am stuck.
    >
    > Anyone know how or got this to work on N series?

    Yes. I have used the inbuilt Nokia SIP app. to use a Voxalot account. I
    have also used Fring, you night try that. I have used both WiFi and '3'
    to make calls in this way. However, when working on '3' I didn't think it
    good enough to have a long conversation. Via WiFi it is just fine.
    Settings on N95 8GB: Settings>Connection>SIP Settings
    Profile Name: Voxalot (or any other name you dream up)
    Service Profile:IETF
    Default Access Point: >Name of your WiFi or operator
    Public User Name: sip:
    (where 123456 is an example of a Voxalot number or username)

    Use Compession:No
    Registration: 'When needed' (if you only want to make outgoing calls) or
    'Always on' (to receive calls too - should then show up as 'Registered'
    under 'Settings>Connection>SIP Settings')

    Proxy Server (Registrar server is set similarly):-
    Proxy Server Address: sip:eu.voxalot.com
    Realm:voxalot.com
    username:123456 (example as before)
    Allow loose routing:Yes
    Transport type:Auto
    Port:5060

    Hope this helps!!
    Brian A, Jul 10, 2009

  2. Brian A

    alexd Guest

    R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    > Yes got through all this and got it to come up "registered" (so incoming
    > calls don't go to my DECT [SIP] phone :-(( ), but what did you do next -
    > the manual says the option of internet phone calls appears, but it
    > doesn't. This was a "blank" phone from a Nokia shop.
    >
    > PS I am not expecting to use it on net only on Wi-Fi.

    Apparently Nokia have "improved" SIP support on their newer handsets, which
    entails no longer shipping a SIP client.

    http://conversations.nokia.com/2008/08/27/the-report-of-the-death-of-voip-
    has-been-grossly-exaggerated/

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:30:16 up 67 days, 3:52, 2 users, load average: 0.29, 0.28, 0.39
    alexd, Jul 12, 2009

  3. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:10:31 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    > "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 02:07:06 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have recently purchased an N79 and want to use it with my existing
    >>> [UK] Voipfone account.
    >>>
    >>> I have entered all the SIP details and the phone registers with
    >>> Voipfone, however it seems that the menu options to make internet
    >>> calls will only appear if I create a new account with one of two US
    >>> based Voip providers with $ accounts (Gismo5 and Vyke) and download
    >>> settings or something.
    >>>
    >>> Nokia have not been very helpful at all and Voipfone say it works with
    >>> the E series without any download, however E series manuals for show a
    >>> different configuration method, so now I am stuck.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know how or got this to work on N series?

    >> Yes. I have used the inbuilt Nokia SIP app. to use a Voxalot account. I
    >> have also used Fring, you night try that. I have used both WiFi and '3'
    >> to make calls in this way. However, when working on '3' I didn't think
    >> it good enough to have a long conversation. Via WiFi it is just fine.
    >> Settings on N95 8GB: Settings>Connection>SIP Settings Profile Name:
    >> Voxalot (or any other name you dream up) Service Profile:IETF
    >> Default Access Point: >Name of your WiFi or operator Public User Name:
    >> sip: (where 123456 is an example of a Voxalot
    >> number or username)
    >>
    >> Use Compession:No
    >> Registration: 'When needed' (if you only want to make outgoing calls)
    >> or 'Always on' (to receive calls too - should then show up as
    >> 'Registered' under 'Settings>Connection>SIP Settings')
    >>
    >> Proxy Server (Registrar server is set similarly):- Proxy Server
    >> Address: sip:eu.voxalot.com Realm:voxalot.com
    >> username:123456 (example as before)
    >> Allow loose routing:Yes
    >> Transport type:Auto
    >> Port:5060
    >>
    >> Hope this helps!!
    >>

    > Yes got through all this and got it to come up "registered" (so incoming
    > calls don't go to my DECT [SIP] phone :-(( ), but what did you do next -
    > the manual says the option of internet phone calls appears, but it
    > doesn't. This was a "blank" phone from a Nokia shop.
    >
    > PS I am not expecting to use it on net only on Wi-Fi.

    OK. Also do:-
    Settings>Connection>Internet Tel
    options>edit
    Name:Default
    Sip Profile: Voxalot 123456 (Just the title I gave my connection in SIP
    Settings)

    When you want to call a number try entering the number, then click
    options and select 'Internet Call'.
    Alternatively select a number to call from your contacts and, again, via
    'options' select Internet Call. That's how it works on my N95 8GB.

    If, due to Nokia's 'improvements' (NOT!) of the SIP capability of some
    phones, it doesn't work satisfactorily for you, then try Fring. That does
    work but I found that, once imported, it was difficult to get it to
    update for new contact entries. Fring does work though.
    Brian A, Jul 13, 2009