Re: VOIP saves the day !

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gordon Henderson, Sep 25, 2012.

  1. In article <k3s632$jdp$>,
    www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:

    >Card terminal won't call out as no dial tone. BUT ADSL signal is making
    >it through the disruption, so we're still able to receive calls and make
    >calls VOIP as normal where normal phones are dead.
    >
    >Better than that, I have re-set up the two FXS ports on the draytek that
    >haven't been used for about 3 years since purchasing the gigaset box,
    >plugged card terminal in and hey presto, back in business.

    Read the T&C's for the card terminal... I bet there's something in there
    that says they must only be plugged directly into proper phone lines
    (or words to that effect)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 25, 2012

  2. Gordon Henderson

    Graham. Guest

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 17:21:27 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >In article <k3s632$jdp$>,
    >www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:
    >
    >>Card terminal won't call out as no dial tone. BUT ADSL signal is making
    >>it through the disruption, so we're still able to receive calls and make
    >>calls VOIP as normal where normal phones are dead.
    >>
    >>Better than that, I have re-set up the two FXS ports on the draytek that
    >>haven't been used for about 3 years since purchasing the gigaset box,
    >>plugged card terminal in and hey presto, back in business.

    >Read the T&C's for the card terminal... I bet there's something in there
    >that says they must only be plugged directly into proper phone lines
    >(or words to that effect)
    >
    >Gordon

    Many modern EFT terminals have Ethernet connectivity as well as POTS,
    but I have know idea if any configuration needs to be done when if you
    change over.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 25, 2012

  3. Gordon Henderson

    Graham. Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:23:39 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >On 25/09/2012 18:21, Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> Read the T&C's for the card terminal... I bet there's something in there
    >> that says they must only be plugged directly into proper phone lines
    >> (or words to that effect)

    >Part of PCI compliance does require the terminal to be connected into a
    >PSTN or PABX so technically I wasn't PCI compliant for the day 8¬O but
    >we're back to normal now. It shows the resilience of VOIP/adsl as a
    >business medium compared to regular wired telephones. (on this unique
    >occasion)
    >
    >Who'd have thought it!

    But these days a PABX is likely to use VOIP on the trunk side even if
    it uses POTS on the extension side, so I would argue that an ATA is
    just a 1X1 PABX.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%