Re: VoIP<->PSTN

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Sep 5, 2008.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Chris Dent" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Group.
    >
    > I am a first-time poster and joined the group a couple of weeks ago,
    > primarily because I am keen to gain a good 'executive' understanding of
    > the technologies of the modern telecoms market.
    >
    > Can anyone please explain how VoIP interracts with the fixed-line
    > telephone network? I mean, do VoIP providers need a presence at an
    > exchange? How does the call get from the PSTN to the internet and vice
    > versa? If I have a geographic number with a VoIP provider do people get
    > local rate calls to me from the same area code? If so, do I have to
    > pay?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    Hi Chris,
    I am not at all sure I know what an executive understanding is.

    I couldn't write a thesis on VoIP, but I can set up SIP phones
    ATA's and VoIP PABX's (Asterisk) to do some pretty
    cool stuff...
    ....but if I'm honest, I don't know how it all really works!

    Its like IT in general, first you do the practical then, if you're
    curious, you study the theory.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%