Re: VoIP<->PSTN

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tim, Sep 5, 2008.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Chris Dent wrote:

    > Can anyone please explain how VoIP interracts with the fixed-line
    > telephone network? I mean, do VoIP providers need a presence at an
    > exchange? How does the call get from the PSTN to the internet and vice
    > versa? If I have a geographic number with a VoIP provider do people get
    > local rate calls to me from the same area code? If so, do I have to
    > pay?

    Usually the Voip providers connect to a Wholesale VoIP provider.

    The wholesale provider is usually a telco in their own right, or has a
    very close working relationship with a telco.

    In some cases, the wholesale providers will have an interconnection with
    individual BT exchanges. Mostly though, they just interconnect with BT
    on a national level.

    If you have a geographic number, then people do get local rate calls to
    you. You don't have to pay, apart from your monthly number rental.

    Physically, people have gateway points where a SIP call becomes an ISDN
    call.

    Tim
    Tim, Sep 5, 2008