Re: Voip on Symbian Belle

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Soruk, Feb 11, 2012.

  1. Soruk

    Soruk Guest

    On 2012-02-11, R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:
    > Oh Dear,
    >

    > Upgraded my N8 to Symbian "Belle" and Google Maps and more seriously all the
    > VOIP stuff has disappeared. Reinstalled the 'application' to make it work,
    > but no option for internet calling appears.
    >
    > Service parameters are OK and the phone registers.

    I've been a bit disappointed with the built-in VoIP on my second-hand N95,
    I don't know whether it's the phone or I'm missing a setting on my
    Asterisk box but every time I try to make a call, after the call is over
    I need to reboot the phone to make or receive another VoIP call.

    The workaround I found was to use Nimbuzz as a VoIP client, and when
    I was in China it worked much better than PC-based VoIP apps over a really
    flaky cable modem service.

    Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/

    Soruk, Feb 11, 2012

  2. Soruk

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:52:23 +0000, Soruk wrote:

    > On 2012-02-11, R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:
    >> Oh Dear,
    >>

    >> Upgraded my N8 to Symbian "Belle" and Google Maps and more seriously
    >> all the VOIP stuff has disappeared. Reinstalled the 'application' to
    >> make it work, but no option for internet calling appears.
    >>
    >> Service parameters are OK and the phone registers.

    > I've been a bit disappointed with the built-in VoIP on my second-hand
    > N95, I don't know whether it's the phone or I'm missing a setting on my
    > Asterisk box but every time I try to make a call, after the call is over
    > I need to reboot the phone to make or receive another VoIP call.
    >
    > The workaround I found was to use Nimbuzz as a VoIP client, and when I
    > was in China it worked much better than PC-based VoIP apps over a really
    > flaky cable modem service.

    I used to have an N95 8GB. It worked OK on Voip. I would try it out with
    a known provider first in order to take Asterisk out of the equation -
    perhaps Voiptalk for example.
    I looked up my settings in my Tomboy notes. Granted they refer to Voxalot
    but it does give you an idea of how to set it up.
    _____
    SIP Settings
    REMEMBER TO ADD VOXALOT AS DEFAULT UNDER 'Internet Tel' SETTINGS.
    Settings on N95 8GB: Settings>Connection>SIP Settings
    Profile Name: Voxalot (or any other name you dream up)
    Service Profile:IETF
    Default Access Point: >Name of your WiFi or operator
    Public User Name: sip:
    (where 123456 is an example of a Voxalot number or username)

    Use Compession:No
    Registration: 'When needed' (if you only want to make outgoing calls) or
    'Always on' (to receive calls too - should then show up as 'Registered'
    under 'Settings>Connection>SIP Settings')

    Proxy Server (Registrar server is set similarly):-
    Proxy Server Address: sip:eu.voxalot.com
    Realm:voxalot.com
    username:123456 (example as before)
    Allow loose routing:Yes
    Transport type:Auto