Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN connection.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Steve, Jan 4, 2010.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    In article <>,
    lid (Jono) wrote:

    > *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
    > connection.
    > *From:* Jono <>
    > *Date:* Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:10:46 GMT
    >
    > Steve has brought this to us :
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a Draytek router or three, I have VOIP working fine on the
    > > main
    > > WAN facing VOIP router (2600VG). I would like to use one of the
    > > spares elsewhere on the network with VOIP capability (another
    > > 2600VG). I have it
    > > currently setup just as a WAP, but I'll be blowed if I can get
    > > either of
    > > the VOIP ports to work.
    > >
    > > Topography is in simple terms:-
    > >
    > > WAN > 2600VG(192.168.0.1) > 2600VG(192.168.0.100)
    > >
    > > .100 is set for DHCP pass through, and just works for web access.
    > >
    > > Register by is set to Auto, and the STUN server is set to
    > > sipgate.net
    > > port 10000
    > >
    > > I have tried with or without stun, and tried setting Register to
    > > WAN. LAN/VPN and all combinations/permutations I can think of,
    > > but still can't
    > > get it to register.
    > >
    > > So, either, what I'm trying to do isn't possible, or I have
    > > missed something important. Has anyone any experience of getting
    > > this set up to
    > > work please?
    > >
    > > regards,
    > >

    > > - Steve

    > Your internet facing router is not passing on any of the
    > appropriate packets to the second one.
    >
    > You'll need to change the ports in use on the voip ports on either,
    > then set up appropriate port forwarding.
    >
    > Also, I assume you've connected the WAN port on the non-internet
    > facing router to a LAN port on the primary?

    I've tried changing the ports and port forwarding the 2nd VOIP's ports to
    the internal router, I even tried putting the 2nd router in a DMZ and
    allocating it its own WAN IP (I have more than one). I have tried two
    different VOIP providers (sipgate.co.uk and DrayTel) and still it refuses
    to play.

    - Steve
    Steve, Jan 4, 2010

  2. Steve

    Rob Johnson Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 08:33:00 +0000, Steve wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > lid (Jono) wrote:
    >
    >> *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
    >> connection.
    >> *From:* Jono <> *Date:* Sun, 03 Jan 2010
    >> 23:10:46 GMT
    >>
    >> Steve has brought this to us :
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I have a Draytek router or three, I have VOIP working fine on the
    >> > main
    >> > WAN facing VOIP router (2600VG). I would like to use one of the
    >> > spares elsewhere on the network with VOIP capability (another
    >> > 2600VG). I have it
    >> > currently setup just as a WAP, but I'll be blowed if I can get either
    >> > of
    >> > the VOIP ports to work.
    >> >
    >> > Topography is in simple terms:-
    >> >
    >> > WAN > 2600VG(192.168.0.1) > 2600VG(192.168.0.100)
    >> >
    >> > .100 is set for DHCP pass through, and just works for web access.
    >> >
    >> > Register by is set to Auto, and the STUN server is set to sipgate.net
    >> > port 10000
    >> >
    >> > I have tried with or without stun, and tried setting Register to WAN.
    >> > LAN/VPN and all combinations/permutations I can think of, but still
    >> > can't
    >> > get it to register.
    >> >
    >> > So, either, what I'm trying to do isn't possible, or I have missed
    >> > something important. Has anyone any experience of getting this set up
    >> > work please?
    >> >
    >> > regards,
    >> >

    >> > - Steve

    >> Your internet facing router is not passing on any of the appropriate
    >> packets to the second one.
    >>
    >> You'll need to change the ports in use on the voip ports on either,
    >> then set up appropriate port forwarding.
    >>
    >> Also, I assume you've connected the WAN port on the non-internet facing
    >> router to a LAN port on the primary?
    >>

    > I've tried changing the ports and port forwarding the 2nd VOIP's ports
    > to the internal router, I even tried putting the 2nd router in a DMZ and
    > allocating it its own WAN IP (I have more than one). I have tried two
    > different VOIP providers (sipgate.co.uk and DrayTel) and still it
    > refuses to play.
    >
    > - Steve

    My guess {and it has no qualification} is that it considers all things
    'WAN' to be from the modem part, and all things 'LAN' to be on the
    Ethernet ports and for whatever reason the ATA has been tied to the WAN -
    possibly to avoid any NAT or Firewall issues.

    That said, looking at my old flaky Draky under VOIP > SIP ACCOUNTS I note
    there is a REGISTER VIA drop-down offering 'NONE','AUTO','WAN','LAN/VPN'.
    A starter for 10, what happens if you set this to LAN?
    Rob Johnson, Jan 4, 2010

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    In article <4b41ac13$0$2477$>,
    lid (Rob Johnson) wrote:

    > That said, looking at my old flaky Draky under VOIP > SIP ACCOUNTS
    > I note there is a REGISTER VIA drop-down offering
    > 'NONE','AUTO','WAN','LAN/VPN'. A starter for 10, what happens if
    > you set this to LAN?

    Guess what? Nothing! :)

    - Steve
    Steve, Jan 4, 2010
  4. Steve

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Steve chose
    the tried and tested strategy of:

    > In article <4b41ac13$0$2477$>,
    > lid (Rob Johnson) wrote:

    >> That said, looking at my old flaky Draky under VOIP > SIP ACCOUNTS
    >> I note there is a REGISTER VIA drop-down offering
    >> 'NONE','AUTO','WAN','LAN/VPN'. A starter for 10, what happens if
    >> you set this to LAN?
    >>

    > Guess what? Nothing! :)

    Does it have a route to the internet? Can you ping the internet from it?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    23:00:19 up 38 days, 2:55, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    alexd, Jan 4, 2010
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    In article <>, (alexd)
    wrote:

    > *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
    > connection.
    > *From:* alexd <>
    > *Date:* Mon, 04 Jan 2010 23:00:49 +0000
    >
    > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Steve
    > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
    >
    > > In article <4b41ac13$0$2477$>,
    > > lid (Rob Johnson) wrote:

    > >> That said, looking at my old flaky Draky under VOIP > SIP

    > ACCOUNTS
    > >> I note there is a REGISTER VIA drop-down offering
    > >> 'NONE','AUTO','WAN','LAN/VPN'. A starter for 10, what happens if
    > >> you set this to LAN?
    > >>

    > > Guess what? Nothing! :)

    > Does it have a route to the internet? Can you ping the internet
    > from it?
    >
    > --
    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 23:00:19 up 38 days, 2:55, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00,
    > 0.00
    > DIMENSION-CONTROLLING FORT DOH HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED,
    > AND TIME STARTED FLOWING REVERSELY

    Yes, everything is working fine, I'm using it as a WAP elsewhere on my
    network where the wireless from the main WAN router (.001) can't reach.
    The problem is, neither will the cordless phone.

    With DHCP pass through, and the DNS set as the WAN router, you wouldn't
    notice the difference! (Except for the VOIP that is ;-))

    - Steve
    Steve, Jan 5, 2010