Re: VoIP help needed please

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Iain, Sep 21, 2008.

  1. Iain

    Iain Guest

    Spence wrote:

    > OK, I have a UK only ISP, so will look at what's available.

    You are confusing your ISP with your VOIP provider. OK, it would be
    possible to use the same supplier for both, but this is unlikely to be a
    wise move.

    I suggest you look at www.sipgate.co.uk - fairly straightforward and
    fairly cheap. Tjey would be sutable for both ends.

    You can use voip regardless of the ISP you connect to the internet
    through, except for a very few who put blocks in place (can't think of
    any UK ones who do)

    Iain, Sep 21, 2008

  2. Iain

    andy Guest

    On 21 Sep, 13:32, Iain <> wrote:
    > Spence wrote:
    > > OK, I have a UK only ISP, so will look at what's available.

    > I suggest you look atwww.sipgate.co.uk- fairly straightforward and
    > fairly cheap. Tjey would be sutable for both ends.

    - which would also give the people in Spain a UK number to receive
    calls from other non-VoIP friends

    Other VoIP providers can offer a number as well, but they aren't all
    free.

    Mind you the Betamax brands (such as smslisto and about 20 others)
    offer an 0560 number for only €1, which would be fine for incoming
    calls from most landlines (mobiles tend to exclude them from inclusive
    minutes)

    andy, Sep 21, 2008

  3. Iain

    Iain Guest

    Spence wrote:

    > Any particular reason for it being unwise?

    Several, but the primary one is that you are constraining your choices
    and putting all your eggs into one basket.

    >> I suggest you look at www.sipgate.co.uk - fairly straightforward and
    >> fairly cheap. Tjey would be sutable for both ends.
    >>

    > Would be OK if the people on the other end use sipgate or one of their
    > partners.

    Most VOIP companies peer with sipgate so calls across are free. And of
    course you can connect directly without going via a provider if you want
    to make the effort. But the cost of calls is so low that few bother with
    either system.

    Otherwise my ISP are cheaper.

    No they aren't!

    A&A charges are significantly higher than Sipgate. They charge for to
    set up a number, they charge you a monthly fee, and their call charges
    are higher.

    However, if you are mostly bothered about cost, go for a Betamax
    product. A single payment of £8 gets you about four months of free calls
    to landlines or voip numbers.

    >> You can use voip regardless of the ISP you connect to the internet
    >> through, except for a very few who put blocks in place (can't think of
    >> any UK ones who do)
    >>

    > I use A&A. AFAIK they don't block other VOIP providers.

    I did say that I don't know of any UK ones that do, and A&A are a UK one
    I do know of.

    Iain, Sep 21, 2008