Re: VOIP For Beginners?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by alexd, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. alexd

    alexd Guest

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:41:12 +0100, Usenet wrote:

    > We have a handful of people who would like to use Skype (simply as
    > that's what the other end are using) or some sort of VOIP to save money
    > on their overseas calls.

    If the other end just has Skype, then the only way to make free calls
    will be with Skype. But it's likely they'll have a local phone number at
    their end too. If you're paying >20p a minute, then even ASDA Mobile is
    cheaper than that!

    > Also let's ignore any existing analogue phone system that we already
    > have as it's ancient.

    If it's just got analogue trunks, then it's cheap enough [quite possibly
    cheaper than buying multiple headsets] to get an ATA to add VoIP
    capability to it. Of course you might not find it that easy to install if
    the PBX is hardwired into the trunks :)

    > What are the basic options assuming a headset/mic and a softphone
    > please?

    Register some Sipgate accounts and install Sipgate Xlite. Buy a cheap
    headset that plugs into your soundcard. Calls between the accounts will
    be free. If you want to make calls outside of Sipgate, you can buy some
    credit. Calls from outside into the numbers you get won't cost anything
    to receive. There may be more sensible ways of managing multiple accounts
    for the same organisation, but the way I've suggested involves the least
    outlay to get a proof of concept.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:42:25 up 53 days, 22:20, 2 users, load average: 0.23, 0.21, 0.17

    alexd, Sep 3, 2008