Re: Voice calls to the Philippines from the UK.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Mar 26, 2009.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    > Hi all,
    > I am not technically minded on this but just wondering why I cannot
    > find a reliable way of phoning my wife who is in Manila, Philippines.
    > When she can get to a computer then Yahoo or Skype seem ok, but I need to
    > phone her mobile phone if I need to talk urgently.
    > I have used the re diallers where I phone a number then another number,
    > sometimes they are ok but not often.
    > I have tried the paid for phone service both with Yahoo and Skype, Skype
    > seems more reliable but again not always.
    >
    > What prompted this is that I read in a newspaper on 25-3-2--9, that some
    > 118 888 directory enquiries calls were handled in Manila, and they would
    > need a reliable service with good voice reception,
    >
    > So what am I doing wrong that I cannot phone her in a reliable way?
    > Even phoning direct from my mobile to her mobile, even though it is
    > expensive is still not always reliable.
    >
    > Can someone please explain to a novice how best to do this? she cannot
    > carry a laptop with her all the time.
    > Thanks,
    > Mick.

    You can call her on her mobile with http://nonoh.net for 7.4 pence/min
    it's one of the Betamax clones, its PAYG with a minimum topup
    of 10 Euro.
    You can either download their softphone, or use your own IP phone
    or ATA if you have one.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Mar 26, 2009

  2. Graham.

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:59:04 +0000, Jono wrote:

    > Graham. has brought this to us :
    >
    >>> Mick.

    >> You can call her on her mobile with http://nonoh.net for 7.4 pence/min
    >> it's one of the Betamax clones, its PAYG with a minimum topup of 10
    >> Euro.
    >> You can either download their softphone, or use your own IP phone or
    >> ATA if you have one.

    > Or initiate calls between home and there from the website

    I have had numerous conversations directly over Voxalot (.au server) to a
    friend, using the 'x-lite' application on his computer. I was using an
    SPA-3000 at my end. At the Philippines end the broadband was just a wifi
    link but most of the time it seemed to work OK. I also tried it via my
    mobile into the Leeds Sipbroker PSTN access number and most of the time
    it was OK. However I wouldn't call it 'reliable'. The suggestion to call
    the mobile, via a Betamax provider, is a good one. You can also make a
    callback from their web site as previously mentioned but,as an
    alternative, you could also use the Voxalot callback service which can be
    triggered via the Net on a standard computer or a mobile phone. I have
    used Voxalot in this way quite a lot when outside the UK and it has
    worked very well. Another way of initiating callback (using ANI) is to
    use 'libera il voip' - though you'll need to learn a little Italian to
    work it all out.

    Brian A, Mar 26, 2009