Re: Vodafone site loosing Text files..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Miche, Aug 4, 2008.

  1. Miche

    Miche Guest

    In article <>,
    Brian Mathews <> wrote:

    > Wife seems to be getting a lot of lost Text files, any one know what is going
    > on...
    >
    > Phone is showing a good receive level..

    A lot of people are under the impression that text messaging is instant.
    Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It can take up to 24 hours for a
    text message to get through. I never use them for anything urgent or
    time-dependent.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases
    Miche, Aug 4, 2008

  2. Miche

    EMB Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:18:35 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Miche wrote:

    >>> A lot of people are under the impression that text messaging is instant.
    >>> Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It can take up to 24 hours for a
    >>> text message to get through. I never use them for anything urgent or
    >>> time-dependent.

    >> And if the sending handset is set to an expiration, then if its not
    >> there in that time then its dropped, with no warning since vodafone
    >> don't do delivery receipts anymore.

    > Were would the Expiration option be found..?

    In the handset setup menu.
    EMB, Aug 4, 2008

  3. Miche

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > Brian Mathews wrote:

    >>> And if the sending handset is set to an expiration, then if its not
    >>> there in that time then its dropped, with no warning since vodafone
    >>> don't do delivery receipts anymore.

    >> Were would the Expiration option be found..?
    >>

    > In the handset setup menu.

    This is new to me. Mine has 'expiration' in the 'settings' menu under
    'message settings' then 'SMS' sub-menus.

    I take it that's it? It's set to 'maximum'. (Options 1 hour, 12 hours, 24
    hours, one week and maximum.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 4, 2008
  4. Miche

    Miche Guest

    In article <>,
    Brian Mathews <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:05:37 +1200, Miche <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Brian Mathews <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Wife seems to be getting a lot of lost Text files, any one know what is
    > >> going
    > >> on...
    > >>
    > >> Phone is showing a good receive level..

    > >A lot of people are under the impression that text messaging is instant.
    > >Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It can take up to 24 hours for a
    > >text message to get through. I never use them for anything urgent or
    > >time-dependent.

    > I gather in other countries you get a auto reply text when its received.

    Wow, how annoying.

    I'd prefer it as an option that could be turned off.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases
    Miche, Aug 4, 2008
  5. Miche

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    >>>>
    >>> In the handset setup menu.

    >> This is new to me. Mine has 'expiration' in the 'settings' menu under
    >> 'message settings' then 'SMS' sub-menus.
    >>
    >> I take it that's it? It's set to 'maximum'. (Options 1 hour, 12
    >> hours, 24 hours, one week and maximum.)

    > yes, thats the one

    Thanks Richard. There are a lot of menus on my phone I keep my nose out of
    as I don't know what they're for. Odd that I've had a pre-pay phone and SMS
    since Vodafone first introduced them to NZ last century and I didn't know
    about that. <shrug>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2008
  6. Miche

    EMB Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:04:16 +1200, Brian Mathews <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mind you if I program it with the Russian firmware I can get more features that even Motorola
    >> provide.

    > Yes you hope it will, but you can not read the Russian help files..
    >
    > There is a definition of the Internet, its like a heard of Elephants with constant diarrhea..

    One Woger personality replying to and disagreeing with another of his
    alter egos. PRICELESS!
    EMB, Aug 7, 2008
  7. Miche

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Greg House" typed:
    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:04:16 +1200, Brian Mathews
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mind you if I program it with the Russian firmware I can get more
    >> features that even Motorola provide.

    > Yes you hope it will, but you can not read the Russian help files..
    >
    > There is a definition of the Internet, its like a heard of Elephants
    > with constant diarrhea..

    Has Roger morphed back to an old psuedonym and is now talking to himself?

    Or is "Greg House" someone else?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2008
  8. Miche

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Greg House" typed:
    >> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:04:16 +1200, Brian Mathews
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mind you if I program it with the Russian firmware I can get more
    >>> features that even Motorola provide.

    >> Yes you hope it will, but you can not read the Russian help files..
    >>
    >> There is a definition of the Internet, its like a heard of Elephants
    >> with constant diarrhea..

    > Has Roger morphed back to an old psuedonym and is now talking to himself?
    >
    > Or is "Greg House" someone else?

    It's an old Woger nym.
    EMB, Aug 7, 2008
  9. Miche

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bret" typed:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:38:47 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Greg House wrote:

    >>> Yes you hope it will, but you can not read the Russian help files..
    >>>
    >>> There is a definition of the Internet, its like a heard of
    >>> Elephants with constant diarrhea..
    >>>

    >> One Woger personality replying to and disagreeing with another of his
    >> alter egos. PRICELESS!

    > ROTFLMAO

    Hmmm, I don't see EMB's post and it was last night. That's a worry.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 8, 2008
  10. Miche

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bret" typed:
    > On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:03:30 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bret" typed:

    >>> ROTFLMAO

    >> Hmmm, I don't see EMB's post and it was last night. That's a worry.

    > I got it this morning through Orcon.

    I still don't see it through Actrix.

    I'll check my killfile, I once accidently killfiled someone in another group
    and I *have* been killfiling a few folks in nz.gen.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 8, 2008
  11. Miche

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Greg House" typed:

    >>> Yes you hope it will, but you can not read the Russian help files..
    >>>
    >>> There is a definition of the Internet, its like a heard of Elephants
    >>> with constant diarrhea..

    >> Has Roger morphed back to an old psuedonym and is now talking to
    >> himself? Or is "Greg House" someone else?

    > It's an old Woger nym.

    Yeah, I thought it was. One of the 100+ he's used over the last 10 years or
    so.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.