Re: Vodafone newsgroups

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    G'day everyone,

    Well, at least fellow vodafone and slingshot victims....

    Looks to me as if the newsgoup server is completely isolated from the rest
    of the planet......

    Regards, Chris

    Chris, Jul 7, 2008

  2. Chris

    greg Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > G'day everyone,
    >
    > Well, at least fellow vodafone and slingshot victims....
    >
    > Looks to me as if the newsgoup server is completely isolated from the
    > rest of the planet......
    >
    > Regards, Chris
    >
    > "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    >> I have seen no new posts at all on any groups I have subscribed to
    >> (via Slingshot) in the past day or two. But according to the Vodafone
    >> site they think they have fixed their news server:
    >>
    >> WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?
    >> There has recently been some problems with our Newsgroup server.
    >>
    >> WHAT DID WE DO TO FIX IT?
    >> We have restarted the server running these groups and the issue
    >> appears to have been resolved.
    >>
    >> You should now be able to access these groups however if you're still
    >> experiencing any problems please let us know.
    >>

    >> Does it looked fixed to anyone else on Vodafone or Slingshot?

    Ihug/vodafone have to desire to fix it other than restarting it, go to

    http://www.tdr.org.nz and file a complaint, it might spurn them in to action
    greg, Jul 7, 2008

  3. Chris

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 06:50:52 +1200, greg <> wrote:

    >Chris wrote:
    >> G'day everyone,
    >>
    >> Well, at least fellow vodafone and slingshot victims....
    >>
    >> Looks to me as if the newsgoup server is completely isolated from the
    >> rest of the planet......
    >>
    >> Regards, Chris
    >>
    >> "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have seen no new posts at all on any groups I have subscribed to
    >>> (via Slingshot) in the past day or two. But according to the Vodafone
    >>> site they think they have fixed their news server:
    >>>
    >>> WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?
    >>> There has recently been some problems with our Newsgroup server.
    >>>
    >>> WHAT DID WE DO TO FIX IT?
    >>> We have restarted the server running these groups and the issue
    >>> appears to have been resolved.
    >>>
    >>> You should now be able to access these groups however if you're still
    >>> experiencing any problems please let us know.
    >>>

    >>> Does it looked fixed to anyone else on Vodafone or Slingshot?
    >>>

    >Ihug/vodafone have to desire to fix it other than restarting it, go to
    >
    >http://www.tdr.org.nz and file a complaint, it might spurn them in to action

    The Network Status page has been updated again at 5pm today.

    Problem with our Newsgroup Servers 2008-07-08 17:06:14

    WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
    There is currently an issue with our Newsgroup servers.

    WHAT ARE WE DOING TO FIX IT?
    The current servers need to be replaced. We are hoping to have this
    back up and running within a few days.

    We're sorry for any inconvenience this is causing you.

    Thanks for your patience!
    Craig Shore, Jul 8, 2008
  4. Chris

    greg Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:52:06 +1200, Craig Shore
    > <> wrote:

    >>> Ihug/vodafone have to desire to fix it other than restarting it, go to
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tdr.org.nz and file a complaint, it might spurn them in to action

    >> The Network Status page has been updated again at 5pm today.
    >>

    >> Problem with our Newsgroup Servers 2008-07-08 17:06:14
    >>
    >> WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
    >> There is currently an issue with our Newsgroup servers.
    >>
    >> WHAT ARE WE DOING TO FIX IT?
    >> The current servers need to be replaced. We are hoping to have this
    >> back up and running within a few days.
    >>
    >> We're sorry for any inconvenience this is causing you.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your patience!

    > Looks like something might happen, though I would have thought it was
    > a configuration issue regarding loss of feeds from outside.

    It's a shame that it took several complaints to the TDR and a week and a
    half for them to look further than pressing the reset button on the
    newsgroup server.

    If they just paid a bit more attention to their customers, acknowledged
    when there was a fault, instead of ignoring common sense.

    Greg
    greg, Jul 8, 2008
  5. Chris

    greg Guest

    Re: Vodafone et al newsgroups

    Peter wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >> G'day everyone,
    >> Well, at least fellow vodafone and slingshot victims....
    >>
    >> Looks to me as if the newsgoup server is completely isolated from the rest
    >> of the planet......

    > looks like the Slingshot / ihug / Vodafone usenet system has rejoined the
    > rest of the planet.
    >
    > It only took 2 weeks to fix!

    It was tuff been cut off but after a few well placed complaints to the
    TDR ihug got off their butt and fixed it.

    Greg
    greg, Jul 9, 2008
  6. In article <2tod.net>, Mark Robinson did write:

    > Sounds like marketing speak for "we fired the dude that built this server
    > so now we need to buy an off the shelf replacement because we don't know
    > anything about this lunix stuff".

    Don't they have NNTP servers for Dimdows?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 9, 2008