Re: VLAN Management Policy Server (VMPS)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Adam KOSA, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. Adam KOSA

    Adam KOSA Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, AM wrote:

    > Does anyone have experience with a VMPS, is it easy to manage and
    > troubleshoot, or would it just be easier to just manage port security and
    > VLAN membership manually?

    Hi, sorry for the late reply, i was too busy to keep up with emails.

    I started to use vmps in dec 2003 in out network, consisting >1024
    computers on many 2950s. The reason for vmps was simple, in this network
    people have to register their NIC, and may not use it otherwise. However
    this policy wasn't too friendly, so i created a second vlan. all the
    registered nic's belong to vlan A and everything else falls back to vlan
    B. vlan B has a router, NAT configured on it, with very strict acl-s. So
    now it is possible to provide some basic services (www, and stuff) to
    everyone, regardless of the nic registration.

    vmps works fine, never had trouble with it. although it eliminates the
    possibility of port security. currently i'm thinking of using 802.1x,
    eliminating the NIC registration (mac addresses are not reliable these
    days). debugging was easy, and it is rarely needed.

    udv
    Adam

    ----------------------------------
    Egy evben csak egyszer van mayten!
    Adam KOSA, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Adam KOSA wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, AM wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone have experience with a VMPS, is it easy to manage and
    >>troubleshoot, or would it just be easier to just manage port security and
    >>VLAN membership manually?
    >>

    > Hi, sorry for the late reply, i was too busy to keep up with emails.
    >
    > I started to use vmps in dec 2003 in out network, consisting >1024
    > computers on many 2950s. The reason for vmps was simple, in this network
    > people have to register their NIC, and may not use it otherwise. However
    > this policy wasn't too friendly, so i created a second vlan. all the
    > registered nic's belong to vlan A and everything else falls back to vlan
    > B. vlan B has a router, NAT configured on it, with very strict acl-s. So
    > now it is possible to provide some basic services (www, and stuff) to
    > everyone, regardless of the nic registration.
    >
    > vmps works fine, never had trouble with it. although it eliminates the
    > possibility of port security. currently i'm thinking of using 802.1x,
    > eliminating the NIC registration (mac addresses are not reliable these
    > days). debugging was easy, and it is rarely needed.
    >
    > udv
    > Adam
    >
    > ----------------------------------
    > Egy evben csak egyszer van mayten!

    Hi,

    As far as I recall it is still an "either or" question, you can only
    have a switch-port under 802.1x *OR* VMPS control, besides, VMPS is
    proprietary. I am using OpenVMPS for quite a while now, works well
    (http://vmps.sourceforge.net/). If you have a choice deploy 802.1x, it
    is generic in a way that you can use it for switched, wireless and VoIP
    "ports".

    Regards,
    Gernot Schmied
    Gernot W. Schmied, Jan 2, 2005