Re: Vista with IE7 problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Jan 13, 2009.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:15:13 -0000, "SJP" <>
    wrote:

    >Windows Vista Home Premium PC that has a strange problem with internet
    >explorer.
    >
    >Logged on as Administrator.
    >
    >Double clicking the IE7 desktop icon causes a box to flash briefly on screen
    >then disappear but no internet access.

    Do you mean IE opens, but you cannot browse any websites?

    "but no internet access" is completely different from "IE does not
    open".

    >If I right click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator" then browser
    >open up and connect to homepage no problem

    Try a different homepage. Try clearing your homepage.

    Is your account an administrator account?

    >Opera on same computer works as normal.

    I'd bet any other browser would too.

    >Have set up another Administrator account and that has the same problem with
    >IE.
    >Have downloaded and installed IE8 and thats the same.
    >
    >Any ideas please?

    Check your homepage. Clear it. Set it for something else.
    Evan Platt, Jan 13, 2009

  2. SJP wrote:
    > "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:15:13 -0000, "SJP" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows Vista Home Premium PC that has a strange problem with internet
    >>> explorer.
    >>>
    >>> Logged on as Administrator.
    >>>
    >>> Double clicking the IE7 desktop icon causes a box to flash briefly on
    >>> screen
    >>> then disappear but no internet access.

    >> Do you mean IE opens, but you cannot browse any websites?
    >>
    >> "but no internet access" is completely different from "IE does not
    >> open".
    >>
    >>> If I right click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator" then
    >>> browser
    >>> open up and connect to homepage no problem

    >> Try a different homepage. Try clearing your homepage.
    >>
    >> Is your account an administrator account?
    >>
    >>> Opera on same computer works as normal.

    >> I'd bet any other browser would too.
    >>
    >>> Have set up another Administrator account and that has the same problem
    >>> with
    >>> IE.
    >>> Have downloaded and installed IE8 and thats the same.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas please?

    >> Check your homepage. Clear it. Set it for something else.

    > IE7 and IE8 would not open if you double click the desktop icon.
    > Yes account is an administrator account.
    > Have tried changing homepage and then clearing it as well.

    See if you set Opera as your default browser?

    ^_^
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 13, 2009

  3. SJP wrote:

    >> "SJP" wrote:
    >>> Double clicking the IE7 desktop icon causes a box to flash briefly
    >>> on screen then disappear but no internet access.

    >> [and]

    > IE7 and IE8 would not open if you double click the desktop icon.

    Are you saying you have *both* IE 7 and IE8 installed?

    Uninstall IE8. It's a beta, remember?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 14, 2009
  4. SJP wrote:

    >>> IE7 and IE8 would not open if you double click the desktop icon.

    >> Are you saying you have *both* IE 7 and IE 8 installed?
    >>
    >> Uninstall IE8. It's a beta, remember?

    > No. IE7 browser would not fire up so I've tried IE8 and it shows
    > exactly the same problem

    So do either of them start if you pick them from the Menu instead?

    Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove IE 8.

    Install a better browser.
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
    http://www.opera.com/

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 14, 2009
  5. SJP wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> SJP wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No. IE7 browser would not fire up so I've tried IE8 and it shows
    >>> exactly the same problem

    >> So do either of them start if you pick them from the Menu instead?

    > No neither did/do start from the Menu instead

    Ok, so it isn't a desktop icon problem.

    > I know IE8 is still beta but IE7 did not work so I downloaded and
    > installed IE8 thinking IE7 had become corrupted but IE8 exhibits the
    > same problem.

    Suggestion still remains to uninstall IE 8. Then go to Add/Remove
    Programs, and try to do a 'repair' to IE 7 (assuming it is still
    listed).

    > I know I can use Opera (or many other browsers) but was trying to fix
    > the problem.

    Make sure you *do* have another browser installed before attempting to
    do anything to Internet Exploder. So you can still get web access.
    Having only one browser installed can oft times be .. dangerous. <g>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 14, 2009