Re: Vista to XP upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Dec 9, 2008.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&a
    > rticleId=9040318
    >
    > This site lets you do it WHILE you are installing Vista. How do you do
    > it on a one year old lap top that already has Vista installed?

    1. You buy a computer with *no* operating system included. Insist upon it.
    2. Buy a copy of windows XP.
    3. Get the store you bought both at to install the CD and make sure
    everything is working fine. They'll do it for free since you bought both
    there and you can use them for problems/tech support.

    4. If the store you went to won't do it, stop going there and find
    another. Tell them *why* you're not coming back. That's important. Give
    them the option to change their mind.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 9, 2008

  2. chuckcar wrote:

    > 1. You buy a computer with *no* operating system included. Insist upon
    > it.

    *Great* advice, Chuck.

    > 2. Buy a copy of windows XP.

    Maybe not so great... consider using Linux instead. Download, burn to
    CD, run from CD (called LiveCD), familiarize, install as dual-boot with
    Vista if necessary.

    > 3. Get the store you bought both at to install the CD and make sure
    > everything is working fine. They'll do it for free since you bought
    > both there and you can use them for problems/tech support.

    Shops in my area will charge for this.
    1. Best Buy, hire Geek Squad, pay ~$240US for this.
    2. Three independent shops, ~$70-200US.
    3. Plus cost of copy of XP.

    > 4. If the store you went to won't do it, stop going there and find
    > another. Tell them *why* you're not coming back. That's important.
    > Give them the option to change their mind.

    One of the independents I know could be coerced into that. Two said "No,
    not free" when I asked earlier this year.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 9, 2008

  3. Lookout wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> 2. Buy a copy of windows XP.

    >> Maybe not so great... consider using Linux instead. Download, burn
    >> to CD, run from CD (called LiveCD), familiarize, install as
    >> dual-boot with Vista if necessary.

    > Stupid idea. 99% of PC users don't want Linux and you know it.

    No, you can't say that. You could say: "99% of PC users never heard of
    Linux (and don't know if they want it or not)" - which might be true.

    It's not a stupid idea. Unless you happen to be a Microsoft employee or
    an MSFT shareholder.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 9, 2008
  4. On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 09:49:13 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Lookout wrote:

    >>> Maybe not so great... consider using Linux instead. Download, burn to
    >>> CD, run from CD (called LiveCD), familiarize, install as dual-boot with
    >>> Vista if necessary.

    >> Stupid idea. 99% of PC users don't want Linux and you know it.

    > No, you can't say that. You could say: "99% of PC users never heard of
    > Linux (and don't know if they want it or not)" - which might be true.
    >
    > It's not a stupid idea. Unless you happen to be a Microsoft employee or an
    > MSFT shareholder.

    Well even M$ estimates that Linux users make up around 17% of internet
    users. Microsoft Executives stated this in sworn testimony before Courts
    in 2005, and in every quarterly SEC filing since, & they also stated that
    Linux users are growing at an average rate of >3% per annum.

    Who would know the competition better than Microsoft!

    --
    And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.....
    Although a cloaking device, pulsed phaser cannons and

    William Poaster, Dec 9, 2008
  5. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> 1. You buy a computer with *no* operating system included. Insist upon
    >> it.

    > *Great* advice, Chuck.

    Thankyou. The rest of your post is of course nonsence and hence has been
    snipped.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 10, 2008
  6. chuckcar

    > Lookout wrote:

    >>> Maybe not so great... consider using Linux instead. Download, burn
    >>> to CD, run from CD (called LiveCD), familiarize, install as
    >>> dual-boot with Vista if necessary.

    >> Stupid idea. 99% of PC users don't want Linux and you know it.

    > No, you can't say that. You could say: "99% of PC users never heard of
    > Linux (and don't know if they want it or not)" - which might be true.
    >
    > It's not a stupid idea. Unless you happen to be a Microsoft employee or
    > an MSFT shareholder.

    Or the OP *wanted* XP. Which he did.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 10, 2008
  7. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> 1. You buy a computer with *no* operating system included. Insist
    >>> upon it.

    >> *Great* advice, Chuck.
    >>

    > Thankyou. The rest of your post is of course nonsence and hence has
    > been snipped.

    Well, that's gratitude for ya. I give you a nice compliment, and you
    respond with a *blast*.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 10, 2008
  8. chuckcar

    Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >chuckcar wrote:

    >>> *Great* advice, Chuck.

    >> Thankyou. The rest of your post is of course nonsence and hence has
    >> been snipped.

    >Well, that's gratitude for ya. I give you a nice compliment, and you
    >respond with a *blast*.

    (this isn't the first time he's done the same thing to you.)

    his stupidity incalculable, his social graces are nil.

    I gave up replying to him, he's a great troll (a shut in with a
    computer), if he's in a thread I'm in, spouting crap, I'll call him on
    it.

    --

    Business cards
    www.toxel.com/inspiration/2008/12/09/40-creative-business-card-designs/

    , Dec 10, 2008
  9. wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>chuckcar wrote:
    >>> Thankyou. The rest of your post is of course nonsence and hence has
    >>> been snipped.

    >> Well, that's gratitude for ya. I give you a nice compliment, and you
    >> respond with a *blast*.

    > (this isn't the first time he's done the same thing to you.)

    Yeah, I know. And there wasn't any nonsence [sic] about the prices I
    quoted, or the policies of the local computer shops.

    > his stupidity incalculable, his social graces are nil.

    I'll have to agree.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 10, 2008