Re: Vista may still have its day ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Biggles, Sep 20, 2008.

  1. Biggles

    Biggles Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:50:34 +1200, Bobs wrote:

    > Biggles wrote:
    >> Interesting read ....
    >>

    > Exactly. I remember the same bitching about XP. "It's different" or "It
    > has too steep hardware requirements" etc. XP is the msot successful OS
    > ever released. Even now it's a great OS...in fact it's probably better
    > now than ever since it can run easily on a low spec machine and it's
    > comptatible with 99% of software on the market. Plus it's extremely
    > mature.
    >
    > Personally I think MS released Vista too early if anything. XP is still
    > very popular and it flies on modern hardware. They could have held off
    > on Vista until 2009, to allow the hardware to catch up a bit. Certaintly
    > I wouldn't run it on anything less than 2GB memory. But in a couple of
    > years, 2-4 gigs will be entry level.

    Agreed !

    Biggles
    Biggles, Sep 20, 2008

  2. "Biggles" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:50:34 +1200, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> Biggles wrote:
    >>> Interesting read ....
    >>>

    >> Exactly. I remember the same bitching about XP. "It's different" or "It
    >> has too steep hardware requirements" etc. XP is the msot successful OS
    >> ever released. Even now it's a great OS...in fact it's probably better
    >> now than ever since it can run easily on a low spec machine and it's
    >> comptatible with 99% of software on the market. Plus it's extremely
    >> mature.
    >>
    >> Personally I think MS released Vista too early if anything. XP is still
    >> very popular and it flies on modern hardware. They could have held off
    >> on Vista until 2009, to allow the hardware to catch up a bit. Certaintly
    >> I wouldn't run it on anything less than 2GB memory. But in a couple of
    >> years, 2-4 gigs will be entry level.

    > Agreed !
    >
    > Biggles

    If you're assuming that by 2009 most will have 2-4Gb memory and maybe quad
    2.5Ghz cpus then that would be nice, but it won't help Vista.
    Vista runs like treacle even on one of those, even with a PCIe 3D
    accelerator, and XFi sound accelerator.
    It's just constipatingly slow, XP was never that slow when released.

    J&H.
    Jekyll and Hyde, Sep 22, 2008

  3. In message <>, Jekyll and Hyde wrote:

    > If you're assuming that by 2009 most will have 2-4Gb memory and maybe quad
    > 2.5Ghz cpus then that would be nice, but it won't help Vista.

    Particularly since 32-bit Dimdows can't access more than about 3GB of RAM,
    so all the extra is just wasted.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 22, 2008