    downright comical to see the same voices in this group rising up in turn to
    sing the praises of DOS5 over Win3x, Win3x over Win9x, Win9x over Win2k,
    Win2k over XP, and and now XP over Vista.
    impossible, Aug 29, 2008

  2. impossible

    EMB Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Yes, resistance to new versions of Windows is something of a reflex. But
    > often there's more than sheer stinginess involved. Resistance to XP and
    > Vista alike were initially based on significant lapses in design that
    > were were only corrected a year or more after the intial release. Still,
    > it's downright comical to see the same voices in this group rising up in
    > turn to sing the praises of DOS5 over Win3x, Win3x over Win9x, Win9x
    > over Win2k, Win2k over XP, and and now XP over Vista.

    I think the issue is more like the one that affected Windows 2000 uptake
    (many businesses moved straight from Windows 98 to XP) - namely that
    there are not enough improvements over XP to justify the expense of
    migrating to Vista.
    EMB, Aug 29, 2008

  3. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-08-29, impossible <> wrote:

    > "Biggles" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Interesting read ....
    >>

    >> http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/feat/B225D37D27B17027CC2574B00075302D
    >>

    > Yes, resistance to new versions of Windows is something of a reflex. But
    > often there's more than sheer stinginess involved. Resistance to XP

    Was activation.

    Get more more memory gentle poster
    Gordon, Aug 30, 2008
  4. On 30 Aug 2008 06:20:55 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2008-08-29, impossible <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Biggles" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Interesting read ....
    >>>

    >>> http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/feat/B225D37D27B17027CC2574B00075302D
    >>>

    >> Yes, resistance to new versions of Windows is something of a reflex. But
    >> often there's more than sheer stinginess involved. Resistance to XP

    >Was activation.
    >
    >Get more more memory gentle poster

    The business versions of XP do not need activation.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 30, 2008
  5. impossible

    Biggles Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:43:10 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, resistance to new versions of Windows is something of a reflex.
    >> But often there's more than sheer stinginess involved. Resistance to XP
    >> and Vista alike were initially based on significant lapses in design
    >> that were were only corrected a year or more after the intial release.
    >> Still, it's downright comical to see the same voices in this group
    >> rising up in turn to sing the praises of DOS5 over Win3x, Win3x over
    >> Win9x, Win9x over Win2k, Win2k over XP, and and now XP over Vista.

    > I think the issue is more like the one that affected Windows 2000 uptake
    > (many businesses moved straight from Windows 98 to XP) - namely that
    > there are not enough improvements over XP to justify the expense of
    > migrating to Vista.

    I think good ol Linus summed it up .. Vista is way to different than XP
    and desktop users hate change. Computer shops here in the wellington
    suburbs have long since closed down which happened long before Vista
    shipped ..

    Strange that cuppee had no answer to this article lmao ...

    Cheers Biggles ..
    Biggles, Aug 30, 2008
  6. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2008-08-29, impossible <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Biggles" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Interesting read ....
    >>>

    >>> http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/feat/B225D37D27B17027CC2574B00075302D
    >>>

    >> Yes, resistance to new versions of Windows is something of a reflex. But
    >> often there's more than sheer stinginess involved. Resistance to XP

    > Was activation.
    >
    > Get more more memory gentle poster

    99.99% of users never had an issue with activation. The rest all posted
    their complaints in nz.comp.
    impossible, Aug 30, 2008
  7. impossible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Biggles" typed:
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:43:10 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yes, resistance to new versions of Windows is something of a reflex.
    >>> But often there's more than sheer stinginess involved. Resistance
    >>> to XP and Vista alike were initially based on significant lapses in
    >>> design that were were only corrected a year or more after the
    >>> intial release. Still, it's downright comical to see the same
    >>> voices in this group rising up in turn to sing the praises of DOS5
    >>> over Win3x, Win3x over Win9x, Win9x over Win2k, Win2k over XP, and
    >>> and now XP over Vista.

    >> I think the issue is more like the one that affected Windows 2000
    >> uptake (many businesses moved straight from Windows 98 to XP) -
    >> namely that there are not enough improvements over XP to justify the
    >> expense of migrating to Vista.

    > I think good ol Linus summed it up .. Vista is way to different than
    > XP and desktop users hate change.

    How true. The first thing I did on installing XP all that time ago was to
    make it look as much like 98SE as possible. As an added bonus it made the
    whole OS twice as responsive turning off the eye-candy.

    I've said it once and I'll say it again. I'll not be moving to Vista. Maybe
    if MS's next offering isn't as bloated I'd look at it. <shrug> With a
    growing trend towards low-power decives such as the EEE box there is an
    increasing need for lightweight OS's. Folks are starting to wake up to the
    fact that, although modern computers can run bloated operating systems, they
    suck the electricity to do so.

    Case in point; A modern mid-range PC running Vista and an entry-level C2Duo
    integrated system would pull ~120W from the outlet. How many of those could
    be replaced by an EEE box (or similar) running XP and an Intel Atom and only
    pull ~20W? For most business users the Atom based PC would be absolutely
    fine. It produces similar 'power' to a P4 Prescott while not getting warm
    enough to need a fan on it's heatsink.

    MS can keep a flagship bloated OS if they want to but I'll bet dollars to
    dog shit that, when they finally cut XP off for good, they'll have another
    light-weight OS to replace it. They simply can't afford to leave that big a
    door wide open for OSS software as increasing end user consciousness of
    power consumption influences almost every buying decision.

    "Desktop users hate change". How true. However, if there's one thing that'll
    make that change less distaseful it will be the knowledge that they're being
    green and saving the planet. That and the bean counters insisting on more
    efficient use of resources. MS have a window of opportunity to produce a
    light-weight 'Windows' operating system (or to keep XP and fine-tune it) or
    they *will* lose an ever-increasing sector of the market. They seem
    hell-bent on obsoleteing XP yet, until they produce something as
    resource-miserly (in comparison to Vista) they run the very real risk of
    losing serious market share.

    I dug out my old faithful Compaq Deskpro 4000 the other day. It'd been a
    while since I put it into storage as 98SE told me it'd been 2090 days since
    my last defrag. It's running 96MB RAM and a Pentium 200MMX along with 98SE
    and, by golly, it's actually still usable for internet / email /
    wordprocessing. There wasn't even majorly annoying wait times when opening
    programmes. It uses so little power that the PSU fan comes on for about 120
    seconds every half hour to exhaust heat from the case. The Atom based
    systems would produce ~12 x the computing power for even less electrictiy.

    I ran CPU Mark on the MMX 200 and it got a score of 11.4. My main PC (OC'ed
    E7300) gets 506 CPU Marks *per CPU core*. That's nigh on 100 x as powerful!
    Yet to use them (and their different OS's) you'd think that maybe the C2D
    was twice as powerful. (Does anyone have access to an EEE box to run CPU
    Mark? I'm thinking it'd get ~120. A Celeron 420 [1.6GHz, same as the Atom]
    gets 210, slightly more than an XP3200+ Barton got.)

    Yes, there was resistance to changing to XP. However, along with it's
    increased demands on hardware came some very real benefits in
    user-friendliness and reliability. Not so much with Vista.

    Vista is the last of the dinosaurs. The only way it'll "have it's day" is as
    a curiousity. A fossil. Like the US muscle cars of the late 70's / early
    80's. An ephemeral product of it's 'little regard for efficiency' time.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2008
  8. impossible

    Jasen Betts Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Biggles" typed:
    >
    > I've said it once and I'll say it again. I'll not be moving to Vista. Maybe
    > if MS's next offering isn't as bloated I'd look at it. <shrug> With a
    > growing trend towards low-power decives such as the EEE box there is an
    > increasing need for lightweight OS's. Folks are starting to wake up to the
    > fact that, although modern computers can run bloated operating systems, they
    > suck the electricity to do so.

    wince
    Jasen Betts, Aug 31, 2008
  9. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Biggles" typed:

    >>> I think the issue is more like the one that affected Windows 2000
    >>> uptake (many businesses moved straight from Windows 98 to XP) -
    >>> namely that there are not enough improvements over XP to justify the
    >>> expense of migrating to Vista.

    >> I think good ol Linus summed it up .. Vista is way to different than
    >> XP and desktop users hate change.

    > How true. The first thing I did on installing XP all that time ago was to
    > make it look as much like 98SE as possible. As an added bonus it made the
    > whole OS twice as responsive turning off the eye-candy.

    You're an over-clocking pirate gamer who lives for eye candy. So what's the
    problem? Oh, right...you can't so easily steal the hardware you envy. Now I
    get it!

    > I've said it once and I'll say it again. I'll not be moving to Vista.
    > Maybe if MS's next offering isn't as bloated I'd look at it. <shrug>

    Nah, because you won't be able to pirate a copy of Windows beyond XP.

    > With a growing trend towards low-power decives such as the EEE box there
    > is an increasing need for lightweight OS's. Folks are starting to wake up
    > to the fact that, although modern computers can run bloated operating
    > systems, they suck the electricity to do so.

    Yeah, right. Says the inveterate over-clocker who doesn't give a toss how
    much energy their inefficient systems suck.

    > Case in point; A modern mid-range PC running Vista and an entry-level
    > C2Duo integrated system would pull ~120W from the outlet. How many of
    > those could be replaced by an EEE box (or similar) running XP and an Intel
    > Atom and only pull ~20W? For most business users the Atom based PC would
    > be absolutely fine. It produces similar 'power' to a P4 Prescott while not
    > getting warm enough to need a fan on it's heatsink.

    You're an old man devoted to playing games. Perhaps you should leave
    business decisions to others slightly more qualified.

    > MS can keep a flagship bloated OS if they want to but I'll bet dollars to
    > dog shit that, when they finally cut XP off for good, they'll have another
    > light-weight OS to replace it. They simply can't afford to leave that big
    > a door wide open for OSS software as increasing end user consciousness of
    > power consumption influences almost every buying decision.

    You have only dog-shit to bet, so it's no risk for you. But you'd be wrong.
    XP is already the best-selling OS on EEEs, and the next generation of EEEs
    and Atoms are as apt to run Vista as anything else.

    > "Desktop users hate change". How true. However, if there's one thing
    > that'll make that change less distaseful it will be the knowledge that
    > they're being green and saving the planet. That and the bean counters
    > insisting on more efficient use of resources. MS have a window of
    > opportunity to produce a light-weight 'Windows' operating system (or to
    > keep XP and fine-tune it) or they *will* lose an ever-increasing sector of
    > the market. They seem hell-bent on obsoleteing XP yet, until they produce
    > something as resource-miserly (in comparison to Vista) they run the very
    > real risk of losing serious market share.

    Applications demand power, not operating systems. Your games would be the
    most inefficient applications going, sucking excess energy from gpus and
    cpus for the sole purpose of entertainment. Should we ban them perhaps?

    > I dug out my old faithful Compaq Deskpro 4000 the other day. It'd been a
    > while since I put it into storage as 98SE told me it'd been 2090 days
    > since my last defrag. It's running 96MB RAM and a Pentium 200MMX along
    > with 98SE and, by golly, it's actually still usable for internet / email /
    > wordprocessing. There wasn't even majorly annoying wait times when opening
    > programmes. It uses so little power that the PSU fan comes on for about
    > 120 seconds every half hour to exhaust heat from the case. The Atom based
    > systems would produce ~12 x the computing power for even less electrictiy.
    >
    > I ran CPU Mark on the MMX 200 and it got a score of 11.4. My main PC
    > (OC'ed E7300) gets 506 CPU Marks *per CPU core*. That's nigh on 100 x as
    > powerful! Yet to use them (and their different OS's) you'd think that
    > maybe the C2D was twice as powerful. (Does anyone have access to an EEE
    > box to run CPU Mark? I'm thinking it'd get ~120. A Celeron 420 [1.6GHz,
    > same as the Atom] gets 210, slightly more than an XP3200+ Barton got.)
    >
    > Yes, there was resistance to changing to XP. However, along with it's
    > increased demands on hardware came some very real benefits in
    > user-friendliness and reliability. Not so much with Vista.

    Back with the cliches. You, of course, would never seriously investigate a
    version of Windows you couldn't steal, so what do you really know? But that
    has never stopped you from yammering on as if you did know. You're so
    predictably arrogant and ignorant.

    > Vista is the last of the dinosaurs. The only way it'll "have it's day" is
    > as a curiousity. A fossil. Like the US muscle cars of the late 70's /
    > early 80's. An ephemeral product of it's 'little regard for efficiency'
    > time.
    > --

    Spoken like someone who has always envied what others can afford. I pity
    you -- I really do..
    impossible, Aug 31, 2008
  10. In article <48b86d6f$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, resistance to new versions of Windows is something of a reflex. But
    >> often there's more than sheer stinginess involved. Resistance to XP and
    >> Vista alike were initially based on significant lapses in design that
    >> were were only corrected a year or more after the intial release. Still,
    >> it's downright comical to see the same voices in this group rising up in
    >> turn to sing the praises of DOS5 over Win3x, Win3x over Win9x, Win9x
    >> over Win2k, Win2k over XP, and and now XP over Vista.

    >I think the issue is more like the one that affected Windows 2000 uptake
    >(many businesses moved straight from Windows 98 to XP) - namely that
    >there are not enough improvements over XP to justify the expense of
    >migrating to Vista.

    Yep. Vista ... nothing to see here, moving on. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 1, 2008
  11. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:g9fck6$o9v$...
    > In article <48b86d6f$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >>impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yes, resistance to new versions of Windows is something of a reflex. But
    >>> often there's more than sheer stinginess involved. Resistance to XP and
    >>> Vista alike were initially based on significant lapses in design that
    >>> were were only corrected a year or more after the intial release. Still,
    >>> it's downright comical to see the same voices in this group rising up in
    >>> turn to sing the praises of DOS5 over Win3x, Win3x over Win9x, Win9x
    >>> over Win2k, Win2k over XP, and and now XP over Vista.

    >>I think the issue is more like the one that affected Windows 2000 uptake
    >>(many businesses moved straight from Windows 98 to XP) - namely that
    >>there are not enough improvements over XP to justify the expense of
    >>migrating to Vista.

    > Yep. Vista ... nothing to see here, moving on. :)

    And so kneejerk parade of the blind and ignorant continues. Thanks for
    proving my point, Bruce.
    impossible, Sep 1, 2008
  12. impossible

    Biggles Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:06:33 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> I think good ol Linus summed it up .. Vista is way to different than
    >> XP and desktop users hate change.

    > How true. The first thing I did on installing XP all that time ago was
    > to make it look as much like 98SE as possible. As an added bonus it made
    > the whole OS twice as responsive turning off the eye-candy.

    win98 .. your stuck in the same time warp as cupapeee .....

    > Vista is the last of the dinosaurs. The only way it'll "have it's day"
    > is as a curiousity. A fossil. Like the US muscle cars of the late 70's /
    > early 80's. An ephemeral product of it's 'little regard for efficiency'
    > time.

    <large snip>

    > Vista is the last of the dinosaurs. The only way it'll "have it's day"
    > is as a curiousity. A fossil. Like the US muscle cars of the late 70's /
    > early 80's. An ephemeral product of it's 'little regard for efficiency'
    > time.

    In all of your ramblings you never mention the apple hardware , why is
    that ? Considering Apples recent success & whose hardware requirements
    must be in the same ball park as vista's.

    Also if you think a bloated GUI & drop dead graphics is a bloody waste /
    global warming threat I would hate to see what you think of the open
    source Compiz / Kde4 issue.

    The open source community sees that as a direction they need to be
    heading, but who are clearly several years at least behind vista and
    apple.

    Biggles .........
    Biggles, Sep 1, 2008
  13. impossible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Biggles" typed:
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:06:33 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >>> I think good ol Linus summed it up .. Vista is way to different
    >>> than XP and desktop users hate change.

    >> How true. The first thing I did on installing XP all that time ago
    >> was to make it look as much like 98SE as possible. As an added bonus
    >> it made the whole OS twice as responsive turning off the eye-candy.

    > win98 .. your stuck in the same time warp as cupapeee .....

    Noted.

    >> Vista is the last of the dinosaurs. The only way it'll "have it's
    >> day" is as a curiousity. A fossil. Like the US muscle cars of the
    >> late 70's / early 80's. An ephemeral product of it's 'little regard
    >> for efficiency' time.

    > <large snip>
    >
    >> Vista is the last of the dinosaurs. The only way it'll "have it's
    >> day" is as a curiousity. A fossil. Like the US muscle cars of the
    >> late 70's / early 80's. An ephemeral product of it's 'little regard
    >> for efficiency' time.

    Wicked snip! Take some stuff out and double up on other stuff. A novel
    approach indeed.

    > In all of your ramblings

    Ramblings huh?

    > you never mention the apple hardware , why is
    > that ? Considering Apples recent success & whose hardware requirements
    > must be in the same ball park as vista's.

    Umm, because I don't talk shit about stuff I have no experience with.

    > Also if you think a bloated GUI & drop dead graphics

    "Drop dead graphics"? Ok, for the first day or two after you get your
    power-hungry machine / OS you may get a real tickle in the pants from your
    "drop dead graphics" but after that it becomes the norm and un-noticed. And
    yet you're still sucking enough extra power to light up a couple rooms.

    How boring does life have to be before "drop dead graphics" is worth paying
    for enough extra electricity to look at them as it takes to run a whole EEE
    Box?

    LOL, "drop dead graphics". Thanks, you've made my day. Suddenly my life
    feels so much better, that I don't cream my jeans over something so
    obviously designed to lure in lusers.

    At the end of the day, a computer and it's OS is a tool. If you want to get
    a little wood from "drop dead graphics" between closing one programme or
    game and opening another then I guess that's up to you. Me, I prefer that it
    just do it's thing as quickly and, more importantly, cheaply as possible.

    > is a bloody
    > waste / global warming threat

    I do. As my grandfather used to say, watch the pennies and the pounds will
    look after themselves. That principle applies here as much as anywhere,
    especially considering the sheer number of personal computers in the world.

    > I would hate to see what you think of
    > the open source Compiz / Kde4 issue.

    See above comment re Apple.

    > The open source community sees that as a direction they need to be
    > heading, but who are clearly several years at least behind vista and
    > apple.

    Thanks for the post, opinion of "Biggles" modified for future reference.....
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2008
  14. impossible

    Biggles Guest

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 07:47:18 +1200, Carnations wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:15:28 +0200, Biggles wrote:
    >
    >> Also if you think a bloated GUI & drop dead graphics is a bloody waste
    >> / global warming threat I would hate to see what you think of the open
    >> source Compiz / Kde4 issue.
    >>
    >> The open source community sees that as a direction they need to be
    >> heading, but who are clearly several years at least behind vista and
    >> apple.

    > The reverse is in fact the case.
    >
    > Linux GUIs such as KDE had included Compiz even before Microsoft Windows
    > Vista had been released.
    >
    > Microsoft Windows Vista is merely playing catch-up.

    Bollocks Compiz has only just been included in the main stream distros
    like Ubuntu, Compiz was released way after Vista hit the streets.

    Catch-up is what the Linux desktop has been doing for 13 years !

    Kinda funny how you have down a complete about face on this issue, you
    originally claimed Vista's GUI using the GPU was complete bollocks and
    that Linux would never do the same thing .. funny how the worm turns.

    Biggles....
    Biggles, Sep 7, 2008
  15. impossible

    Biggles Guest

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:25:15 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Biggles" typed:

    >>> How true. The first thing I did on installing XP all that time ago was
    >>> to make it look as much like 98SE as possible. As an added bonus it
    >>> made the whole OS twice as responsive turning off the eye-candy.

    >> win98 .. your stuck in the same time warp as cupapeee .....

    > Noted.

    At least we agree on something

    > Wicked snip! Take some stuff out and double up on other stuff. A novel
    > approach indeed.

    insomnia does that to you lol...

    >> In all of your ramblings

    > Ramblings huh?
    >
    >> you never mention the apple hardware , why is that ? Considering Apples
    >> recent success & whose hardware requirements must be in the same ball
    >> park as vista's.

    > Umm, because I don't talk shit about stuff I have no experience with.

    At least you admit your talking shit then .............

    So why is it Apple and Microsoft & small % linux desktop are moving in
    the same direction on their desktops .. have a think about that.

    <snip>

    > LOL, "drop dead graphics". Thanks, you've made my day. Suddenly my life
    > feels so much better, that I don't cream my jeans over something so
    > obviously designed to lure in lusers.

    So the Mac platform is designed to lure in lusers why do you feel so
    threatened with whats happening in the desktop computer industry.

    > I do. As my grandfather used to say, watch the pennies and the pounds
    > will look after themselves. That principle applies here as much as
    > anywhere, especially considering the sheer number of personal computers
    > in the world.

    > Thanks for the post, opinion of "Biggles" modified for future
    > reference.....

    Your welcome & you need to apply this Logic to everything in your house /
    car / everything you own / use not just use it as some lame vista bs.

    So go throw out your stove / throw out the power hungry gaming pc you use.
    Throw out any house hold aluminum materials go read up on how much
    electricity that bluff smelter uses per day. and throw out the washing
    machine.

    Sell your car = the energy cost in producing the pig iron alone would
    make your hair curl never mind the carbon & toxic waste that bellows out
    the exhaust.

    Remove the glass windows in your house , inefficient energy waste to both
    produce & insulate against heat loss.

    Throw out the hot water cylinder .. = huge waste of electrical energy

    Rip out all the household electrical wiring = huge waste of electrical
    energy to produce the copper wire.

    and we haven't even got to Vista yet ..

    Once you have done all of the above then we can consider you as Mr_green.

    ps: Considering some kiwi computer geek came up with this lame idea in
    the first place, I just don't get why you and the village idiot Lennier
    keep banging this issue around .

    Biggles.
    Biggles, Sep 7, 2008
  16. impossible

    Biggles Guest

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:41:00 +1200, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:41:36 +0200, Biggles wrote:

    >> Kinda funny how you have down a complete about face on this issue, you
    >> originally claimed Vista's GUI using the GPU was complete bollocks and
    >> that Linux would never do the same thing .. funny how the worm turns.

    > I'm saying that Compiz has been available for those who want glossy
    > bells and whistles since 2006-04-01.

    Surely you cant be that dense ...........

    > Has a non-beta-quality version of MS Vi$ta been released yet?

    Opensuse 11 desktop

    Compiz -*** compiz is finally stable enough for the SUSE team.

    Pulse-audio Some phenomenal hype to the latest and greatest linux sound
    system. But in reality turned out be Alpha /Beta code that's several
    years from completion. Only alternative here is stick to the crappy 90's
    sound system.

    * Major file corruption with the reiser file system that's what 7 years
    old. Who tests this shite******

    Kde 4 more phenomenal hype to the new desktop that actually turned out to
    be alpha /beta quality code with telly tubby cartoon size icons / crap
    fonts / that's also several years from completion.

    Kd3.xx . an antiquated desktop that's so dated / mess that even the
    KDE.org want to forget it.

    Gnome .. Or a dated Gnome desktop that looks like its from the 90's who
    in 2 years time are going to wish they had something to go head to head
    with kde4.

    If you think Microsoft release some crap operating systems then the OSS
    community have turned this into a art form.

    The question begs here .. why with the yearly delays of microsoft
    operating systems are the open source community several years behind
    microsoft & apple desktops in terms of sound and desktop UI.

    People have long since woken up to the fact of being used as un-paid beta
    testers in CSS software, but OSS community still seem to have their
    heads up their collective asses some 13 years down the track.

    Biggles ...
    Biggles, Sep 20, 2008
  17. Biggles wrote:

    > * Major file corruption with the reiser file system that's what 7 years
    > old.

    Liar.

    > Kde 4 more phenomenal hype to the new desktop ...

    I believe 4.1 is finally out now, and distros are starting to include it. I
    found out from a friend how to add it to Ubuntu today.

    > Kd3.xx . an antiquated desktop that's so dated / mess that even the
    > KDE.org want to forget it.

    Still--not as bad as Dimdows XP, eh. :)

    > The question begs here .. why with the yearly delays of microsoft
    > operating systems are the open source community several years behind
    > microsoft & apple desktops in terms of sound and desktop UI.

    Look at the netbooks/nettops--see how well Linux can offer an advanced GUI
    that runs with decent speed on such modest hardware, and why Microsoft is
    desperately fighting a rearguard action by continuing to offer Dimdows XP
    in that market, and why it will have to continue doing so after Vista is
    discontinued.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 20, 2008
  18. impossible

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-09-20, Biggles <> wrote:

    > Gnome .. Or a dated Gnome desktop that looks like its from the 90's who
    > in 2 years time are going to wish they had something to go head to head
    > with kde4.

    Vista reminds me of a fish tank that should have been cleaned 2 weeks
    ago.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Sep 20, 2008