Re: Vista Machine Randomly Freezes for a Few Seconds

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Oct 6, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "NoSpamm" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have Vista installed on an HP 8440p laptop with 70gigs free on my HD
    > and 4 gigs of RAM installed. This is a work computer so I am connected
    > to a network. I am also not playing any games or doing high resolution
    > graphics or playing any audio.
    >
    > The issue is that while typing, going on the Internet, calculating a
    > spreadsheet, opening a network drive, etc., the machine freezes for
    > just a few seconds. It happens pretty randomly and not for very long.
    > If I am typing, I can continue to type even though the machine appears
    > to be frozen. When it comes back, everything I typed, "catches up" so
    > I didn't actually lose anything.
    >
    > I appears as if some process is quickly polling something which causes
    > this freeze. I've watched the Task Manager but nothing seems to spike.
    > I've also tried to remove whatever Services were unnecessary.
    >
    > This is extremely annoying and IT cannot seem to figure out what the
    > issue is.
    >
    > Any ideas on what I could try to diagnose this issue?

    First, obviously something is slowing down the computer. That implies
    directly that some other program is running. Since you have a name brand
    consumer laptop (which are typically loaded with bundled software) that
    means the first thing to check is startup. Disable *all* you can. None
    are needed for windows to run. At best you *may* have a AV suite that
    checks incoming emails. That requires no entry at all, it's a context
    menu. In other words, it's only needed and activated when you actually
    right click on an email.

    Read more here. Note MS *never* says these can cause problems as that
    would be biting the hand that feeds them - third party software
    developers. Despite the fact that it is the single most problem causing
    area in MS windows since windows 95 hit the market.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270035

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 6, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 05:43:23 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>First, obviously something is slowing down the computer. That implies
    >>directly that some other program is running. Since you have a name
    >>brand consumer laptop (which are typically loaded with bundled
    >>software) that means the first thing to check is startup. Disable
    >>*all* you can. None are needed for windows to run.

    > But some are likely required for the OP's WORK and doing so could
    > likely get the OP fired.

    Not a chance.

    > Shit, you've never worked a day in tech support have you?

    Sure I have, Mr want to be rent a cop that can't even get a job.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 6, 2010

  3. chuckcar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 05:43:23 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > "NoSpamm" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have Vista installed on an HP 8440p laptop with 70gigs free on my HD
    >> and 4 gigs of RAM installed. This is a work computer so I am connected
    >> to a network. I am also not playing any games or doing high resolution
    >> graphics or playing any audio.
    >>
    >> The issue is that while typing, going on the Internet, calculating a
    >> spreadsheet, opening a network drive, etc., the machine freezes for
    >> just a few seconds. It happens pretty randomly and not for very long.
    >> If I am typing, I can continue to type even though the machine appears
    >> to be frozen. When it comes back, everything I typed, "catches up" so I
    >> didn't actually lose anything.
    >>
    >> I appears as if some process is quickly polling something which causes
    >> this freeze. I've watched the Task Manager but nothing seems to spike.
    >> I've also tried to remove whatever Services were unnecessary.
    >>
    >> This is extremely annoying and IT cannot seem to figure out what the
    >> issue is.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what I could try to diagnose this issue?
    >>

    > First, obviously something is slowing down the computer. That implies
    > directly that some other program is running.

    <slaps self in the face> DAMN! I am awake!

    Meat Plow, Oct 6, 2010
  4. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "NoSpamm" <> wrote in

    > OK, here's what I found, but I don't know if it's useful...
    >
    > The only thing that seems to occur at the time when I get these
    > lock-ups is under the Security Log. It was the following:
    >
    > The Windows Filtering Platform has allowed a connection.
    >
    > Application Information:
    > Process ID: 4
    > Application Name: System
    >
    > Network Information:
    > Direction: Inbound
    >

    > I did see that the Bonjour (I hate iTunes) was also occuring around
    > that time, but I killed that and am still getting the issue.
    >
    > Thanks again for the help.

    Get a *proper* firewall such as Zone Alarm or Outpost. The one that
    comes with windows is what's *causing* your problem. No proper firewall
    allows incoming connections at *all*. And scan *all* your computer for
    malware - both trojans and spyware.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 6, 2010
  5. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:34:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>No proper firewall allows incoming connections at *all*.

    > Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at
    > *all*.

    Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd know
    that.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 7, 2010
  6. chuckcar

    JayLee

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    really cool...thanks for the useful tips...
    JayLee, Oct 7, 2010
  7. chuckcar

    Bill Guest

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:38:11 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Evan Platt <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:34:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>No proper firewall allows incoming connections at *all*.

    >> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at
    >> *all*.

    >Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd know
    >that.

    How does the content of a web page get to your display?
    Bill, Oct 7, 2010
  8. chuckcar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 03:38:11 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Evan Platt <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:34:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>No proper firewall allows incoming connections at *all*.

    >> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at *all*.

    > Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd know
    > that.

    So I guess Microsoft can do away with temporary internet files.

    Meat Plow, Oct 7, 2010
  9. Bill wrote:

    > chuckTard wrote:
    >> Evan Platt wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at
    >>> *all*.

    >> Nonsence.

    Fix your damn spellchecker. The word is *nonsenSe*. There is no "c" in
    the word. Ever. Not even in Canada.

    >> It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd know that.

    > How does the content of a web page get to your display?

    Y'know, with such a stupid answer like chuckTard gave there, a statement
    in direct conflict with one of the most basic Internet usages that even
    a rank beginner would know was wrong, more or less proves that chuckTard
    is a blatant troll. Nobody can be that wrong, unless on purpose.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 7, 2010
  10. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Bill <BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com> wrote in

    > On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:38:11 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at
    >>> *all*.

    >>Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd
    >>know that.

    > How does the content of a web page get to your display?

    The browser sends a request for a web page. Specifically, it logs onto
    the DNS for the web page and then does what amounts to an ftp. The browser
    then runs the retrieved html or whatever and it proceeds from there.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 7, 2010
  11. On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 08:12:10 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Bill wrote:
    >
    >> chuckTard wrote:

    >>> Nonsence.

    >Fix your damn spellchecker. The word is *nonsenSe*. There is no "c" in
    >the word. Ever. Not even in Canada.

    Fix your reading ability. I didn't write the above.

    >>> It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd know that.

    >> How does the content of a web page get to your display?

    >Y'know, with such a stupid answer like chuckTard gave there, a statement
    >in direct conflict with one of the most basic Internet usages that even
    >a rank beginner would know was wrong, more or less proves that chuckTard
    >is a blatant troll. Nobody can be that wrong, unless on purpose.

    Fix your grammar!
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 7, 2010
  12. On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:13:15 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Bill <BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:38:11 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>>Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd
    >>>know that.

    >> How does the content of a web page get to your display?
    >>

    >The browser sends a request for a web page. Specifically, it logs onto
    >the DNS for the web page and then does what amounts to an ftp.

    FTP is not a verb. Besides, web pages use HTTP, not FTP as a download
    and communications protocol.

    >The browser
    >then runs the retrieved html or whatever and it proceeds from there.

    That sure sounds like a two way conversation to me!
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 7, 2010
  13. BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    > [snip irrelevant parts to this response]

    >> Fix your damn spellchecker. The word is *nonsenSe*. There is no "c"
    >> in the word. Ever. Not even in Canada.

    > Fix your reading ability. I didn't write the above.

    I know you didn't. Note the quoting levels.

    >> Y'know, with such a stupid answer like chuckTard gave there, a
    >> statement in direct conflict with one of the most basic Internet
    >> usages that even a rank beginner would know was wrong, more or less
    >> proves that chuckTard is a blatant troll. Nobody can be that wrong,
    >> unless on purpose.

    > Fix your grammar!

    What's wrong with my grammer?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 7, 2010
  14. On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:26:17 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> [snip irrelevant parts to this response]
    >>>
    >>> Fix your damn spellchecker. The word is *nonsenSe*. There is no "c"
    >>> in the word. Ever. Not even in Canada.

    >> Fix your reading ability. I didn't write the above.

    >I know you didn't. Note the quoting levels.

    Note that you wrongly corrected something by another poster in a post
    dorected as a reply to ME. Quoting levels are entirely irrelevent. If
    you wanted to ciorrect someone elses spelling, you should have done it
    in a reply to THEIR post, not mine.

    >>> Y'know, with such a stupid answer like chuckTard gave there, a
    >>> statement in direct conflict with one of the most basic Internet
    >>> usages that even a rank beginner would know was wrong, more or less
    >>> proves that chuckTard is a blatant troll. Nobody can be that wrong,
    >>> unless on purpose.

    >> Fix your grammar!

    >What's wrong with my grammer?

    It's no worse than your spelling.
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 7, 2010
  15. On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 06:32:52 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:13:15 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The browser sends a request for a web page. Specifically, it logs onto
    >>the DNS for the web page and then does what amounts to an ftp.
    >>The browser then runs the retrieved html or whatever and it proceeds from there.

    >OMG... If thre ever was proof chucktard's clueless, there it is.

    The esoteric technical terms he used, such as "what amounts to", and,
    "or whatever", were especially impressive and convincing.
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 7, 2010
  16. BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:
    >>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote: [snip irrelevant parts to this
    >>> response]

    >>> Fix your reading ability. I didn't write the above.

    >> I know you didn't. Note the quoting levels.

    > Note that you wrongly corrected something by another poster in a post
    > dorected as a reply to ME. Quoting levels are entirely irrelevent. If
    > you wanted to ciorrect someone elses spelling,

    "dorected" ? "ciorrect" ? <LOL!> It always happens in a spelling
    flame, doesn't it?

    > you should have done it in a reply to THEIR post, not mine.

    Replying to multiple levels of a post is quite accepted, sir.

    >>> Fix your grammar!

    >> What's wrong with my grammer?

    > It's no worse than your spelling.

    You are inciorrect, Billy, and I'm sorry you've lost your humor gene....

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 7, 2010
  17. On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:01:38 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

    >>> I know you didn't. Note the quoting levels.

    >> Note that you wrongly corrected something by another poster in a post
    >> dorected as a reply to ME. Quoting levels are entirely irrelevent. If
    >> you wanted to ciorrect someone elses spelling,

    >"dorected" ? "ciorrect" ? <LOL!> It always happens in a spelling
    >flame, doesn't it?
    >
    >> you should have done it in a reply to THEIR post, not mine.

    >Replying to multiple levels of a post is quite accepted, sir.

    >>> What's wrong with my grammer?

    >> It's no worse than your spelling.

    >You are inciorrect, Billy, and I'm sorry you've lost your humor gene....

    You are devolving rapidly.
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 7, 2010
  18. chuckcar

    freemont Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:13:15 +0000, chuckcar writ:

    > Bill <BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com> wrote in
    >> How does the content of a web page get to your display?
    >>

    > The browser sends a request for a web page. Specifically, it logs onto
    > the DNS for the web page and then does what amounts to an ftp. The
    > browser then runs the retrieved html or whatever and it proceeds from
    > there.

    Ho - lee - JEEsus! lol...
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    â‚ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:
    freemont, Oct 7, 2010
  19. chuckcar

    freemont Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:04:45 +0000, Meat Plow writ:

    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 03:38:11 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at
    >>> *all*.

    >> Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd
    >> know that.

    > So I guess Microsoft can do away with temporary internet files.

    And cookies are useless...
    freemont, Oct 7, 2010
  20. On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:18:39 +0000, freemont
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:04:45 +0000, Meat Plow writ:
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 03:38:11 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>> Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd
    >>> know that.

    >> So I guess Microsoft can do away with temporary internet files.

    >And cookies are useless...

    Then perhaps Chuck's nickname should be "Cookies"
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 7, 2010