Re: Vista Machine Randomly Freezes for a Few Seconds

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Holmes, Oct 5, 2010.

  1. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    NoSpamm "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have Vista installed on an HP 8440p laptop with 70gigs free on my HD
    > and 4 gigs of RAM installed. This is a work computer so I am connected
    > to a network. I am also not playing any games or doing high resolution
    > graphics or playing any audio.
    >
    > The issue is that while typing, going on the Internet, calculating a
    > spreadsheet, opening a network drive, etc., the machine freezes for
    > just a few seconds. It happens pretty randomly and not for very long.
    > If I am typing, I can continue to type even though the machine appears
    > to be frozen. When it comes back, everything I typed, "catches up" so
    > I didn't actually lose anything.
    >
    > I appears as if some process is quickly polling something which causes
    > this freeze. I've watched the Task Manager but nothing seems to spike.
    > I've also tried to remove whatever Services were unnecessary.
    >
    > This is extremely annoying and IT cannot seem to figure out what the
    > issue is.
    >
    > Any ideas on what I could try to diagnose this issue?
    >
    > Thank you for the help.
    >
    > -Gummy
    >

    > p.s. I had Vista on an older machine before and this never occurred.

    Open the case and disconnect the CD drive(s) to see if the problem goes
    away. I've seen this behaviour in occasions where one of the optical
    drives went bad. Windows has a habit to look into the drives to see if
    there's a CD injected (autoplay function) and on a bad drive, windows
    keeps trying for a while to connect. During this time, depending on your
    hardware, the system may freeze for a few seconds.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Oct 5, 2010

  2. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:57:18 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > NoSpamm "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have Vista installed on an HP 8440p laptop with 70gigs free on my HD
    >> and 4 gigs of RAM installed. This is a work computer so I am connected
    >> to a network. I am also not playing any games or doing high resolution
    >> graphics or playing any audio.
    >>
    >> The issue is that while typing, going on the Internet, calculating a
    >> spreadsheet, opening a network drive, etc., the machine freezes for
    >> just a few seconds. It happens pretty randomly and not for very long.
    >> If I am typing, I can continue to type even though the machine appears
    >> to be frozen. When it comes back, everything I typed, "catches up" so I
    >> didn't actually lose anything.
    >>
    >> I appears as if some process is quickly polling something which causes
    >> this freeze. I've watched the Task Manager but nothing seems to spike.
    >> I've also tried to remove whatever Services were unnecessary.
    >>
    >> This is extremely annoying and IT cannot seem to figure out what the
    >> issue is.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what I could try to diagnose this issue?
    >>
    >> Thank you for the help.
    >>
    >> -Gummy
    >>

    >> p.s. I had Vista on an older machine before and this never occurred.
    >>

    > Open the case and disconnect the CD drive(s) to see if the problem goes
    > away. I've seen this behaviour in occasions where one of the optical
    > drives went bad. Windows has a habit to look into the drives to see if
    > there's a CD injected (autoplay function) and on a bad drive, windows
    > keeps trying for a while to connect. During this time, depending on your
    > hardware, the system may freeze for a few seconds.

    Might wanna try the event log for an app-hang while at it.

    Meat Plow, Oct 5, 2010

  3. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    John Holmes "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > NoSpamm "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have Vista installed on an HP 8440p laptop with 70gigs free on my HD
    >> and 4 gigs of RAM installed. This is a work computer so I am connected
    >> to a network. I am also not playing any games or doing high resolution
    >> graphics or playing any audio.
    >>
    >> The issue is that while typing, going on the Internet, calculating a
    >> spreadsheet, opening a network drive, etc., the machine freezes for
    >> just a few seconds. It happens pretty randomly and not for very long.
    >> If I am typing, I can continue to type even though the machine appears
    >> to be frozen. When it comes back, everything I typed, "catches up" so
    >> I didn't actually lose anything.
    >>
    >> I appears as if some process is quickly polling something which causes
    >> this freeze. I've watched the Task Manager but nothing seems to spike.
    >> I've also tried to remove whatever Services were unnecessary.
    >>
    >> This is extremely annoying and IT cannot seem to figure out what the
    >> issue is.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what I could try to diagnose this issue?
    >>
    >> Thank you for the help.
    >>
    >> -Gummy
    >>

    >> p.s. I had Vista on an older machine before and this never occurred.
    >>

    > Open the case and disconnect the CD drive(s) to see if the problem goes
    > away. I've seen this behaviour in occasions where one of the optical
    > drives went bad. Windows has a habit to look into the drives to see if
    > there's a CD injected (autoplay function) and on a bad drive, windows
    > keeps trying for a while to connect. During this time, depending on your
    > hardware, the system may freeze for a few seconds.

    I now see it's a laptop. Disable autorun on all drives in this case.
    (start> run> gpedit.msc> computer configuration> administrative templates>
    system)

    You might have a look at Meat's suggestion as well.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Oct 5, 2010
  4. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:57:18 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> NoSpamm "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have Vista installed on an HP 8440p laptop with 70gigs free on my

    HD
    >>> and 4 gigs of RAM installed. This is a work computer so I am

    connected
    >>> to a network. I am also not playing any games or doing high

    resolution
    >>> graphics or playing any audio.
    >>>
    >>> The issue is that while typing, going on the Internet, calculating a
    >>> spreadsheet, opening a network drive, etc., the machine freezes for
    >>> just a few seconds. It happens pretty randomly and not for very long.
    >>> If I am typing, I can continue to type even though the machine

    appears
    >>> to be frozen. When it comes back, everything I typed, "catches up" so

    >>> didn't actually lose anything.
    >>>
    >>> I appears as if some process is quickly polling something which

    causes
    >>> this freeze. I've watched the Task Manager but nothing seems to

    spike.
    >>> I've also tried to remove whatever Services were unnecessary.
    >>>
    >>> This is extremely annoying and IT cannot seem to figure out what the
    >>> issue is.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on what I could try to diagnose this issue?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for the help.
    >>>
    >>> -Gummy
    >>>

    >>> p.s. I had Vista on an older machine before and this never occurred.
    >>>

    >> Open the case and disconnect the CD drive(s) to see if the problem

    goes
    >> away. I've seen this behaviour in occasions where one of the optical
    >> drives went bad. Windows has a habit to look into the drives to see if
    >> there's a CD injected (autoplay function) and on a bad drive, windows
    >> keeps trying for a while to connect. During this time, depending on

    your
    >> hardware, the system may freeze for a few seconds.

    > Might wanna try the event log for an app-hang while at it.

    Could be. Let's see what the OP's reply is to this one.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Oct 5, 2010
  5. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:35:50 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:57:18 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> NoSpamm "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > HD

    > connected

    > resolution

    > appears

    > causes

    > spike.

    >>> Open the case and disconnect the CD drive(s) to see if the problem

    > goes
    >>> away. I've seen this behaviour in occasions where one of the optical
    >>> drives went bad. Windows has a habit to look into the drives to see if
    >>> there's a CD injected (autoplay function) and on a bad drive, windows
    >>> keeps trying for a while to connect. During this time, depending on

    > your
    >>> hardware, the system may freeze for a few seconds.

    >> Might wanna try the event log for an app-hang while at it.
    >>

    > Could be. Let's see what the OP's reply is to this one.

    Meant Event Viewer BTW. Must be a linux thing :)

    Meat Plow, Oct 5, 2010
  6. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:47:05 -0400, NoSpamm wrote:

    > Thank you for all the replies.
    >
    > It looks like AutoPlay was already disabled. Meaning that 'Turn off
    > Autoplay' was set to 'Enabled'. I found this under Computer
    > Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components ->
    > AutoPlay Policies.
    >
    > So which log(s) would should I search through and what should I be
    > looking for?

    That be in the Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer -
    Applications. That is if I recall correctly. In Win 7 it's /Adminstrative
    Tools - Event Viewer - Windows Logs - Applications.

    Don't have a Vista to boot into to check.

    Meat Plow, Oct 5, 2010
  7. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:04:06 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:47:05 -0400, NoSpamm wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you for all the replies.
    >>
    >> It looks like AutoPlay was already disabled. Meaning that 'Turn off
    >> Autoplay' was set to 'Enabled'. I found this under Computer
    >> Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components ->
    >> AutoPlay Policies.
    >>
    >> So which log(s) would should I search through and what should I be
    >> looking for?
    >>

    > That be in the Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer -
    > Applications. That is if I recall correctly. In Win 7 it's
    > /Adminstrative Tools - Event Viewer - Windows Logs - Applications.
    >
    > Don't have a Vista to boot into to check.

    BTW you are looking for an application hang.

    Meat Plow, Oct 5, 2010
  8. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:04:06 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:47:05 -0400, NoSpamm wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thank you for all the replies.
    >>>
    >>> It looks like AutoPlay was already disabled. Meaning that 'Turn off
    >>> Autoplay' was set to 'Enabled'. I found this under Computer
    >>> Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components ->
    >>> AutoPlay Policies.
    >>>
    >>> So which log(s) would should I search through and what should I be
    >>> looking for?
    >>>

    >> That be in the Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer -
    >> Applications. That is if I recall correctly. In Win 7 it's
    >> /Adminstrative Tools - Event Viewer - Windows Logs - Applications.
    >>
    >> Don't have a Vista to boot into to check.

    > BTW you are looking for an application hang.

    So something running then. Funny you mention that...

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 6, 2010
  9. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:15:20 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> That be in the Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer -
    >>> Applications. That is if I recall correctly. In Win 7 it's
    >>> /Adminstrative Tools - Event Viewer - Windows Logs - Applications.
    >>>
    >>> Don't have a Vista to boot into to check.

    >> BTW you are looking for an application hang.
    >>

    > So something running then. Funny you mention that...

    If you are trying to 'put words in my mouth' it ain't gunna happen.

    Meat Plow, Oct 6, 2010
  10. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:15:20 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> BTW you are looking for an application hang.
    >>>

    >> So something running then. Funny you mention that...

    > If you are trying to 'put words in my mouth' it ain't gunna happen.

    I don't have to. application means *exactly* that.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 6, 2010
  11. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:34:19 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:15:20 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> So something running then. Funny you mention that...

    >> If you are trying to 'put words in my mouth' it ain't gunna happen.
    >>

    > I don't have to. application means *exactly* that.

    WHAT a REVELATION! Chucktard says applications are running.

    <boggle>

    Meat Plow, Oct 7, 2010
  12. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> If you are trying to 'put words in my mouth' it ain't gunna happen.
    >>>

    >> I don't have to. application means *exactly* that.

    > WHAT a REVELATION! Chucktard says applications are running.

    Yes. Several. In startup. Finally you see the light. Well, as much as
    you can that is.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 7, 2010
  13. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:30:18 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> I don't have to. application means *exactly* that.

    >> WHAT a REVELATION! Chucktard says applications are running.
    >>

    > Yes. Several. In startup. Finally you see the light. Well, as much as
    > you can that is.

    Look chucktard, you know less about any Windows OS than just about anyone
    posting here. If you are going to match wits with me you first; A. Need
    wit. B. Need to know more about Windows OS than I do. C. Need to think
    about what you are going to post 'before' you hit SEND.

    Your ASSumption the OP has several programs in whatever the **** you mean
    by "startup" is incomplete and absurd.

    Meat Plow, Oct 7, 2010
  14. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:30:18 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> WHAT a REVELATION! Chucktard says applications are running.
    >>>

    >> Yes. Several. In startup. Finally you see the light. Well, as much as
    >> you can that is.

    > Look chucktard, you know less about any Windows OS than just about
    > anyone posting here. If you are going to match wits with me you first;
    > A. Need wit. B. Need to know more about Windows OS than I do. C. Need
    > to think about what you are going to post 'before' you hit SEND.

    LOL. You massive ego

    > Your ASSumption the OP has several programs in whatever the **** you
    > mean by "startup" is incomplete and absurd.

    Of course it isn't. I defy you do get any name brand consumer PC that's
    just been restored with at least 15 running entires in startup.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 11, 2010
  15. John Holmes

    anyone Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:02:05 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:30:18 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> Yes. Several. In startup. Finally you see the light. Well, as much as
    >>> you can that is.

    >> Look chucktard, you know less about any Windows OS than just about
    >> anyone posting here. If you are going to match wits with me you first;
    >> A. Need wit. B. Need to know more about Windows OS than I do. C. Need to
    >> think about what you are going to post 'before' you hit SEND.
    >>

    > LOL. You massive ego
    >
    >> Your ASSumption the OP has several programs in whatever the **** you
    >> mean by "startup" is incomplete and absurd.
    >>

    > Of course it isn't. I defy you do get any name brand consumer PC that's
    > just been restored with at least 15 running entires in startup.

    Dell PW690, 3.2GHz Xeon dual-core, 4GB D-Ram

    26 (count 'em) programs running in what you like to call "startup",
    chucktard. Did one 'system restore', one time, quite a while ago &
    haven't needed it since.
    anyone, Oct 11, 2010
  16. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    anyone <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:02:05 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> Your ASSumption the OP has several programs in whatever the **** you
    >>> mean by "startup" is incomplete and absurd.
    >>>

    >> Of course it isn't. I defy you do get any name brand consumer PC
    >> that's just been restored with at least 15 running entires in
    >> startup.

    > Dell PW690, 3.2GHz Xeon dual-core, 4GB D-Ram
    >
    > 26 (count 'em) programs running in what you like to call "startup",
    > chucktard. Did one 'system restore', one time, quite a while ago &
    > haven't needed it since.

    Yeah, And on a good day you may even beat a 1Ghz computer. I said at
    *least* 15. Thanks for the backup.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 11, 2010
  17. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:11:48 -0700, anyone wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:02:05 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> Look chucktard, you know less about any Windows OS than just about
    >>> anyone posting here. If you are going to match wits with me you first;
    >>> A. Need wit. B. Need to know more about Windows OS than I do. C. Need
    >>> to think about what you are going to post 'before' you hit SEND.
    >>>

    >> LOL. You massive ego
    >>
    >>> Your ASSumption the OP has several programs in whatever the **** you
    >>> mean by "startup" is incomplete and absurd.
    >>>

    >> Of course it isn't. I defy you do get any name brand consumer PC that's
    >> just been restored with at least 15 running entires in startup.

    > Dell PW690, 3.2GHz Xeon dual-core, 4GB D-Ram
    >
    > 26 (count 'em) programs running in what you like to call "startup",
    > chucktard. Did one 'system restore', one time, quite a while ago &
    > haven't needed it since.

    I like to refer to things that start during boot as tasks running in
    background or processes. Without user interaction. Not programs or
    entries in "startup" whatever the chucktard means by that. I think the
    chucktard is trying to incorrectly infer that I'm saying nothing runs
    when you start an operating system. In reality I'm trying to get to the
    bottom of this mystical, magical "things in startup" he refers to.

    Meat Plow, Oct 11, 2010
  18. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

> [...]

    The mere fact that you phrase it that way shows only that you know
    absolutely about the relevant topic or point.

    >>> Of course it isn't. I defy you do get any name brand consumer PC
    >>> that's just been restored with at least 15 running entires in
    >>> startup.

    >> Dell PW690, 3.2GHz Xeon dual-core, 4GB D-Ram
    >>
    >> 26 (count 'em) programs running in what you like to call "startup",
    >> chucktard. Did one 'system restore', one time, quite a while ago &
    >> haven't needed it since.

    > I like to refer to things that start during boot as tasks running in
    > background or processes. Without user interaction. Not programs or
    > entries in "startup" whatever the chucktard means by that. I think the
    > chucktard is trying to incorrectly infer that I'm saying nothing runs
    > when you start an operating system. In reality I'm trying to get to
    > the bottom of this mystical, magical "things in startup" he refers to.

    Well, then try *reading* something about it. There's loads of
    information on the web both about these wastes of processor power and
    disabling them.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 11, 2010
  19. John Holmes

    Anyone Guest

    Meat Plow wrote on 11-Oct-10 11:01 ...
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:11:48 -0700, anyone wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:02:05 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Meat Plow<> wrote in

    >>> LOL. You massive ego

    >>> Of course it isn't. I defy you do get any name brand consumer PC that's
    >>> just been restored with at least 15 running entires in startup.

    >> Dell PW690, 3.2GHz Xeon dual-core, 4GB D-Ram
    >>
    >> 26 (count 'em) programs running in what you like to call "startup",
    >> chucktard. Did one 'system restore', one time, quite a while ago&
    >> haven't needed it since.

    > I like to refer to things that start during boot as tasks running in
    > background or processes. Without user interaction. Not programs or
    > entries in "startup" whatever the chucktard means by that. I think the
    > chucktard is trying to incorrectly infer that I'm saying nothing runs
    > when you start an operating system. In reality I'm trying to get to the
    > bottom of this mystical, magical "things in startup" he refers to.

    Good luck... I haven't yet seen him adequately explain any of his claims.
    Anyone, Oct 12, 2010
  20. John Holmes

    Anyone Guest

    chuckcar wrote on 11-Oct-10 11:36 ...
    > Meat Plow<> wrote in

    > The mere fact that you phrase it that way shows only that you know
    > absolutely about the relevant topic or point.

    >>> Dell PW690, 3.2GHz Xeon dual-core, 4GB D-Ram
    >>>
    >>> 26 (count 'em) programs running in what you like to call "startup",
    >>> chucktard. Did one 'system restore', one time, quite a while ago&
    >>> haven't needed it since.

    >> I like to refer to things that start during boot as tasks running in
    >> background or processes. Without user interaction. Not programs or
    >> entries in "startup" whatever the chucktard means by that. I think the
    >> chucktard is trying to incorrectly infer that I'm saying nothing runs
    >> when you start an operating system. In reality I'm trying to get to
    >> the bottom of this mystical, magical "things in startup" he refers to.
    >>

    > Well, then try *reading* something about it. There's loads of
    > information on the web both about these wastes of processor power and
    > disabling them.

    whutta surprise...
    Anyone, Oct 12, 2010