Re: Vista Home Premium 64 and USB Drives

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Colin Barnhorst, May 19, 2008.

  1. No, it is not normal.

    Disconnect the hubs. See if that helps. If not, I would have the computer
    checked. Something may not be wired correctly.

    Be aware that not all hubs are OK with Vista. I have had at least one that
    blue screened my computer by just connecting. I remember reports during the
    Vista beta program about problems with some hubs.

    Avoid using a hub or only use one certified for Vista. The one I had that
    caused issues with Vista was OK with XP so the fact that "it used to work
    OK" is not useful. When I replaced it with one certified for Vista I had no
    more problems.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 19, 2008

  2. This could be a power issue too. If those USB drives are powering from the
    USB ports, not from an external power source, you can quickly overload the
    power to the USB ports. (And having a good USB hub that has an external
    power source can definitely help here, pulling that load away from the
    computer.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 19, 2008

  3. Colin Barnhorst

    BP Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote on 5/19/2008 :
    > This could be a power issue too. If those USB drives are powering from the
    > USB ports, not from an external power source, you can quickly overload the
    > power to the USB ports. (And having a good USB hub that has an external power
    > source can definitely help here, pulling that load away from the computer.)
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    >> No, it is not normal.
    >>
    >> Disconnect the hubs. See if that helps. If not, I would have the computer
    >> checked. Something may not be wired correctly.
    >>
    >> Be aware that not all hubs are OK with Vista. I have had at least one that
    >> blue screened my computer by just connecting. I remember reports during
    >> the Vista beta program about problems with some hubs.
    >>
    >> Avoid using a hub or only use one certified for Vista. The one I had that
    >> caused issues with Vista was OK with XP so the fact that "it used to work
    >> OK" is not useful. When I replaced it with one certified for Vista I had
    >> no more problems.
    >>
    >> "BP" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I've a couple USB external Hard Drives and a USB Flash Drive that I use
    >>> from time to time. If I connect only one to the system all works well,
    >>> but if I connect any 2 at the same time Windows Explorer freezes so I
    >>> can't read any, let alone copy between them (I've never tried to attach
    >>> all at the same time). Is this normal? Is there some setting I should
    >>> make - or unmake somewhere - so I can attach all at the same time? As
    >>> noted in the subject line I have the 64 bit version of Vista Home Premium,
    >>> and 4 or 5 free USB 2 ports on the 2 attached hubs.

    Thanks - I had the power connection but hadn't plugged it in. I did,
    and now things seem to work OK (I' m crossing my fingers when I write
    that).

    BP, May 20, 2008
  4. Sounds like we may have it. After you've had a bit more time on it, please
    confirm so we can all benefit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64