Re: Vista-Fixing Desktop Icon Locations?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Oct 20, 2008.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Jeff Wisnia <> wrote in

    > Unless my memory is tricking me, the Recycle Bin icon used to always
    > stay at the upper left corner of my Vista desktop when I sorted the
    > icons by name, even though there are other icons whose names begin with
    > letters ahead of "R".
    >
    > Now it moves to its apppropriate alphabetical location when I sort the
    > icons by name.
    >
    > How do I return the Recycle Bin to "sticking" in the upper left location
    > again?
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Jeff

    You mean how do you sort it alphabetically so "R" is the first letter of
    the alphabet? Try changing to russian maybe? Seriously, *manually* move
    the icon, then line up the icons and *never* sort them again.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 20, 2008

  2. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Jeff Wisnia <> wrote in

    >>>How do I return the Recycle Bin to "sticking" in the upper left
    >>>location again?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks guys,
    >>>
    >>>Jeff

    >> You mean how do you sort it alphabetically so "R" is the first letter
    >> of the alphabet? Try changing to russian maybe? Seriously, *manually*
    >> move the icon, then line up the icons and *never* sort them again.
    >>

    > There's got to be more to it than that, chuckar.
    >
    > My own office computer, also running Vista and another computer here
    > running XP don't act that way.
    >
    > I can manually move the Recycle Bin icon elsewhere on the desktop and
    > also switch around a few other icons and when I right click on the
    > desktop and then click on "Arrange Icons > By name" the Recycle bin
    > jumps to the upper left corner of the screen and the remaining icons
    > line up alphabetically by name in vertical columns from left to right.
    >
    > Maybe the clever sods at microsoft put some non-printing characters at
    > the leading end of the Recycle Bin's icon's name to force it to sort to
    > that "first" location?
    >
    > I'll await the correct answer, someone must have it.

    I never said there *wasn't* a way to do it so sorting would work, but
    you're fighting with the sort by doing it along with the fact that you
    are renaming an icon that may be tough to rename and a windows repair might
    just rename back anyways. It's something that could be seen as trojan-like
    behavior. But if you *have* to fight the OS, try this:

    Rename it with either a space or "!" before the "R". Those are the first
    two printable ascii characters.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 20, 2008

  3. chuckcar

    Guest

    , Oct 20, 2008
  4. chuckcar

    Workman Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > Jeff Wisnia <> wrote in

    >>> You mean how do you sort it alphabetically so "R" is the first
    >>> letter of the alphabet? Try changing to russian maybe? Seriously,
    >>> *manually* move the icon, then line up the icons and *never* sort
    >>> them again.
    >>>

    >> There's got to be more to it than that, chuckar.
    >>
    >> My own office computer, also running Vista and another computer here
    >> running XP don't act that way.
    >>
    >> I can manually move the Recycle Bin icon elsewhere on the desktop and
    >> also switch around a few other icons and when I right click on the
    >> desktop and then click on "Arrange Icons > By name" the Recycle bin
    >> jumps to the upper left corner of the screen and the remaining icons
    >> line up alphabetically by name in vertical columns from left to
    >> right.
    >>
    >> Maybe the clever sods at microsoft put some non-printing characters
    >> at the leading end of the Recycle Bin's icon's name to force it to
    >> sort to that "first" location?
    >>
    >> I'll await the correct answer, someone must have it.

    Right-click a blank area of the desktop > hover over 'arrange icons by' (or
    similar) > make sure "auto arrange" (or similar) is unchecked?

    Workman, Oct 21, 2008
  5. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:21:17 -0700, wrote:

    >You've never been able to rename the Recycle Bin.

    Well you can *hack* the name. But I'm sure chucktard thought you could
    simply rename it. :)

    Evan Platt, Oct 21, 2008
  6. chuckcar

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Rename it with either a space or "!" before the "R". Those
    >>are the first two printable ascii characters.

    > You've never been able to rename the Recycle Bin.

    Not true. Mine has been called "dumpster" for ages. Nice trash
    can with flowers and flies icon, too.

    --
    Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
    votes decide everything.

    NB: Not only is my KF over 4 KB and growing, I am also filtering
    everything from discussions.microsoft and google groups, so no
    offense if you don't get a reply/comment unless I see you quoted
    in another post.

    thanatoid, Oct 21, 2008
  7. chuckcar

    thanatoid Guest

    Jeff Wisnia <> wrote in
    ations:

    <SNIP>

    > I'll await the correct answer, someone must have it.

    The "default" 4 or 5 windows icons (of which I have /one/, the
    RC, but called "dumpster" and with a custom icon), are a
    nightmare and the first sign your Windows machine wants to
    control YOU and not vice versa.

    There are a variety (well, over the years I have found about 5)
    of programs to deal with the fucking icons, but the best and
    simplest I have found is

    http://www.iconsaver.com/index.html

    I don't know if it'll work on Vista, but if you use Vista, you
    have abandoned all hope upon entering anyway.

    thanatoid, Oct 21, 2008