Re: Vista Complete Backup "Not enough space"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Aug 7, 2008.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-08-06, ofn01 <> wrote:
    > Problem + Probable solution below...
    >
    > I've been using vistas complete backup for a while - but after a number of
    > backups it keeps saying there is not enough space.
    >
    > It says when backing up that it will delete the oldest backup to make space,
    > but it does not seem to do this.
    >
    > There seem to be a few people out there experiencing this:
    > http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-...te-pc-backup-0x80780048-not-enough-space.html
    >
    > Anyway - it seems that you can delete the actual backups in the backup
    > directory manually as an administrator.
    >
    > But there is still used up space - to get rid of this you use
    > start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup
    >
    > See here:
    > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/1264bc24-72a8-48aa-84e3-a355327139d91033.mspx
    >
    > This got rid of everything & I did a fresh backup. What I think I will do
    > next time is just try the second part to get rid of the old backups & see if
    > it leaves the latest there.
    >
    > Bit annoying it doesn't do it automatically but at least I didn't have to
    > format the drive.

    All I can say, Microsoft in action. You paid for this.

    Microsft has never been good at getting the details right in the engine
    room.

    Final thought, unless backups are *easy* one will not do them.

    Backups will be needed, or have been needed by *all* computer users.

    Backups can suddenly rise in value from a negative amount ( the effort
    needed to make it) to a extremely high value.

    Gordon, Aug 7, 2008

  2. Gordon

    impossible Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2008-08-06, ofn01 <> wrote:
    >>> Problem + Probable solution below...
    >>>
    >>> I've been using vistas complete backup for a while - but after a number
    >>> of
    >>> backups it keeps saying there is not enough space.
    >>>
    >>> It says when backing up that it will delete the oldest backup to make
    >>> space,
    >>> but it does not seem to do this.
    >>>
    >>> There seem to be a few people out there experiencing this:
    >>> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-...te-pc-backup-0x80780048-not-enough-space.html
    >>>
    >>> Anyway - it seems that you can delete the actual backups in the backup
    >>> directory manually as an administrator.
    >>>
    >>> But there is still used up space - to get rid of this you use
    >>> start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup
    >>>
    >>> See here:
    >>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/1264bc24-72a8-48aa-84e3-a355327139d91033.mspx
    >>>
    >>> This got rid of everything & I did a fresh backup. What I think I will
    >>> do
    >>> next time is just try the second part to get rid of the old backups &
    >>> see if
    >>> it leaves the latest there.
    >>>
    >>> Bit annoying it doesn't do it automatically but at least I didn't have
    >>> format the drive.
    >>>

    >> All I can say, Microsoft in action. You paid for this.
    >>
    >> Microsft has never been good at getting the details right in the engine
    >> room.
    >>
    >> Final thought, unless backups are *easy* one will not do them.

    > Thats the thing -the actual process is really fine - just a few clicks and
    > it comes free with the OS.
    >
    > As with all my other backup strategies prior to this, I have more than one
    > way of backing up & storing critical data.
    >
    > I was really just posting this for those who may come across the same
    > problem in the future.

    Yes, the Vista backup applet is really quite good. Of course, if Microsoft
    had built the **perfect** backup system into Vista, all the anti-Microsoft
    muppets here would be complaining that this was an unfair, anti-competitive
    move designed to lock-in the MS monopoly.

    impossible, Aug 7, 2008