Re: Vista: Black Screen, Documents Folder Only on Startup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by M.L., Aug 16, 2010.

  1. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >Dell Studio One, Vista Home Prem 64 bit SP1
    >3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800 Mhz
    >320 GB NCQ Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache
    >
    >Just over a year old. On startup all I get is a black screen with my
    >Documents Folder opened up. Conrol, Alt, Delete starts Task Manager
    >into which I can put "explorer" which starts everything up just fine.
    >Desktop, programs, everything. Was on the phone with Dell last night
    >for over an hour, they want to send me a new HD. I'd prefer to figure
    >this out with your help if possible. Is this likely a virus or
    >actually a HD problem?
    >
    >I'm not too smart about such things but followed some online advice
    >about editing the registry to remove everything after "explorer" in
    >the Shell of a certain key... first time I ever attempted to mess with
    >the reg... It supposedly work for others with the same problem but not
    >for me.

    Have you tried using the Vista repair options, either from your boot
    screen or from a CD? It might not help but it won't hurt either.

    Windows Vista 64-Bit (x64) Recovery Disc Torrent
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/
    M.L., Aug 16, 2010