Re: Vista: Black Screen, Documents Folder Only on Startup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, Aug 15, 2010.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:34:01 -0400, Eddie wrote:

    > Dell Studio One, Vista Home Prem 64 bit SP1 3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800 Mhz
    > 320 GB NCQ Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache
    >
    > Just over a year old. On startup all I get is a black screen with my
    > Documents Folder opened up. Conrol, Alt, Delete starts Task Manager into
    > which I can put "explorer" which starts everything up just fine.
    > Desktop, programs, everything. Was on the phone with Dell last night for
    > over an hour, they want to send me a new HD. I'd prefer to figure this
    > out with your help if possible. Is this likely a virus or actually a HD
    > problem?
    >
    > I'm not too smart about such things but followed some online advice
    > about editing the registry to remove everything after "explorer" in the
    > Shell of a certain key... first time I ever attempted to mess with the
    > reg... It supposedly work for others with the same problem but not for
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Eddie

    Add explorer.exe to your startup folder would be a quick fix. But editing
    the value of the registry is the real solution if something is fucked up
    with the key value. You don't have much to lose, you're already running
    on just 1 of 8 cylinders. Not looking at a windoze box read here it might
    help;

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa379402(VS.85).aspx

    Meat Plow, Aug 15, 2010