Re: vista auto-defrag

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Taylor, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. Dave Taylor

    Dave Taylor Guest

    gimp <> wrote in news:48c63a8c$:

    > its a dell XPS M1530 notebook which is awesome but basically useless
    > 'cause it won't stop defragging.

    It is supposed to be an idle process, so are you sure it is really causing
    you problems or is it just the blinking light of the hard drive annoying
    you?

    I am sure you can disable it through gpedit.msc somewhere, have a play...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 9, 2008

  2. In message <48c795d6$>, gimp wrote:

    > incidentally the defrag window will read as "analyzing" if its
    > indexing, hence my confusion...

    This is all part of the legendary Dimdows ease of use. The term "indexing"
    is deemed too geeky, so they figure if they say "analyzing" instead, that
    will give the users the feeling they understand what's going on.

    You can see how well that's worked in your case.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 15, 2008