Re: Vista - article: make UAC less annoying

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 29, 2008.

  1. Fred wrote:

    > http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/4-ways-to-make-uac-less-
    > annoying-on-windows-vista/
    >
    > From simple to drastic. All work. Depends on needs/risk.

    They still add users as admins by default, instead using a weird workaround
    to later reduce permissions. Why not simply (like on *nix style OS's) care
    to make programs work as "restricted user" and ask for confirmation when a
    user wants to perform a privileged command?
    The experience would be almost the same, but security real.
    Oh yeah, it's always the games ... in particular the copy protection schemes
    that "need" direct raw device access ... or other so-called "legacy"
    software that might get hit.

    Next time, add a single line with "-- " (dash/dash/space) at the end of all
    your postings or as a "signature". That will strip the useless teranews ad
    from future replies at least.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 29, 2008

  2. wisdomkiller & pain

    M.L. Guest

    >> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/4-ways-to-make-uac-less-
    >> annoying-on-windows-vista/
    >>
    >> From simple to drastic. All work. Depends on needs/risk.
    >>

    >They still add users as admins by default, instead using a weird workaround
    >to later reduce permissions.

    > Why not simply (like on *nix style OS's) care
    >to make programs work as "restricted user" and ask for confirmation when a
    >user wants to perform a privileged command?

    Software programs that are Vista compliant do exactly that.

    M.L., Nov 29, 2008

  3. On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:23:52 -0600, M.L aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    >>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/4-ways-to-make-uac-less-
    >>> annoying-on-windows-vista/
    >>>
    >>> From simple to drastic. All work. Depends on needs/risk.
    >>>

    >>They still add users as admins by default, instead using a weird workaround
    >>to later reduce permissions.

    >> Why not simply (like on *nix style OS's) care
    >>to make programs work as "restricted user" and ask for confirmation when a
    >>user wants to perform a privileged command?

    > Software programs that are Vista compliant do exactly that.

    Close...but not quite :)

    Linux demands that you either use (and know how and wtf it is) sudo or
    have the root password for elevated permissions.
    M$ UAC assumes that the assclown sitting in front of the screen has the
    sense to make the right choice when confronted with "allow or deny"
    popups.

    See the diff, mate?

    http://www.alternet.org
    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 29, 2008
  4. §ñühwØ£f <> parented this using

    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:23:52 -0600, M.L aided th' terraists with the
    > following claims :

    >>>They still add users as admins by default, instead using a weird
    >>>workaround to later reduce permissions.

    >>> Why not simply (like on *nix style OS's) care
    >>>to make programs work as "restricted user" and ask for confirmation
    >>>when a user wants to perform a privileged command?

    >> Software programs that are Vista compliant do exactly that.
    >>

    > Close...but not quite :)
    >
    > Linux demands that you either use (and know how and wtf it is) sudo or
    > have the root password for elevated permissions.
    > M$ UAC assumes that the assclown sitting in front of the screen has the
    > sense to make the right choice when confronted with "allow or deny"
    > popups.
    >
    > See the diff, mate?

    Linux sux, 'cept on my surveillance DVR... then it's only OK
    because it won't download the pron to the DVR unless someone
    is doin' it while it's watching.

    --

    I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got milk. (|^;

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/bruce-lee-ping-pong

    http://www.rrrrthats5rs.com/games/dont-shoot-the-puppy/

    Repent, the end is near! So... smoke'em if you got'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 29, 2008
  5. Bucky Breeder wrote:

    > Linux sux, 'cept on my surveillance DVR... then it's only OK
    > because it won't download the pron to the DVR unless someone
    > is doin' it while it's watching.

    :)
    Got a old spare box converted into a linux vdr as well, 3 dvb cards (2
    dvb-s, 1 dvb-t) with nice things like burning dvds with menus, noad and
    more. It allows looking at one program on tv, watching another one (using
    vdr) from a networked computer, programming the thing through a web browser
    and recording one or two broadcasts - all at the same time, with a old
    celeron.
    Make that happen with windows mediacenter.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 29, 2008
  6. wisdomkiller & pain

    Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain <> wrote:

    >Got a old spare box converted into a linux vdr as well, 3 dvb cards (2
    >dvb-s, 1 dvb-t) with nice things like burning dvds with menus, noad and
    >more. It allows looking at one program on tv, watching another one (using
    >vdr) from a networked computer, programming the thing through a web browser
    >and recording one or two broadcasts - all at the same time, with a old
    >celeron.

    >Make that happen with windows mediacenter.

    Or MythTV http://www.mythtv.org/
    "MythTV is a GPL licensed suite of programs that allow you to build
    the mythical home media convergence box on your own using Open Source
    software and operating systems. MythTV is known to work on Linux and
    Mac OS X (PowerPC and Intel). It does not run on Windows."
    --

    Find and mayhaps repair a stuck pixel
    http://tinyurl.com/6nro6h
  7. "wisdomkiller & pain" parented this
    using news::

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:

    >> Linux sux, 'cept on my surveillance DVR... then it's only OK
    >> because it won't download the pron to the DVR unless someone
    >> is doin' it while it's watching.
    >>

    >:)
    > Got a old spare box converted into a linux vdr as well, 3 dvb cards (2
    > dvb-s, 1 dvb-t) with nice things like burning dvds with menus, noad and
    > more. It allows looking at one program on tv, watching another one
    > (using vdr) from a networked computer, programming the thing through a
    > web browser and recording one or two broadcasts - all at the same time,
    > with a old celeron.
    > Make that happen with windows mediacenter.

    Long story short... I got one of those Windows Media Center boxes...
    from HP to boot. Hayte it! Whadda dog it is! Part of it has to
    do with HP's roll-out config; but a bunch more is the WinMCE (2005).
    It has massive Pentium D power, insane amounts of RAM and a HDD
    so big that we're prohibited by law from revealing the shocking
    facts without you logging-in; but first you must register.

    Now I only use it watch XviD movies and listen to Winamp's Shoutcast
    broadcasts... because it supports a really dyn-O-mite sound system.
    (Available in accessories at an enormous additional charge.)

    LOL! Sad... *BUT* /if/ *I* /ever/ get 15 kinds of memory cards,
    it's got someplace to plug 'em all in. If history is any indicator,
    that would likely blowup the USB bus, however, some guy in India
    would happily sell me 2 more years of technical support and warranty
    if I have my valid credit card handy.

    BOO-RAH! See if the hard-core Penguin-heads can match that!

    --

    I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got milk. (|^;

    http://kitty-pron.notlong.com/

    Repent, the end is near! So... smoke'em if you got'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 30, 2008