Re: Vista 64 RTM fails to chkdsk

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Aaron Kelley, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I haven't had any problems here.
    But, you should be able to boot to the install DVD and open a command
    prompt, and run chkdsk from there.
    (Just click the "Install Now", and at the product key screen you can press
    Shift+F10 to get a command window. If you need to install drivers to see
    your hard drive, proceed to that point and then press Shift+F10.)

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Aaron Kelley

    John Barnes Guest

    A prior poster who had trouble running chkdsk ran Raxco PerfectDisk 8 and
    got past a chkdsk problem. You can download a trial version and see whether
    it helps with your problem. He didn't report back if it solved the chkdsk
    problem, but he was unable to run other defrags because of the inability to
    run chkdsk. Free, quick and you decide if worth a try.
    http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/pd_download_home.cfm

    John Barnes, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Hello,
    Can you try renaming the bootstat.dat file located in the \windows folder.
    Open a CMD prompt
    Run attrib -r -s -h bootstat.dat
    then run ren bootstat.dat bootstat.old
    Then try to re-run chkdsk.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 17, 2007
  4. Hello,
    Can you try the same thing under what Aaron suggested in an earlier post?
    boot to the install DVD, open the cmd prompt ( repair option)
    Maybe even run through the repair process here.
    rename the bootstat.dat file again (generated at shutdown)
    Then retry chkdsk while in that session.
    Are you using any boot managers other the OS boot manager?
    Are you using anything that is loading during the boot process ?

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 17, 2007
  5. Hello,
    A little more information on this. Something is locking the volume when
    the bootmanger runs and calls bootloader.
    One thing that is checked is the bootstat.dat file, this is checked to see
    if the voluem was reported as dirty at shutdown( this would generate the
    chkdsk to run on report if the volume was marked as dirty) So this should
    be written every shutdown. Now it shouldn't ever cause this but to be safe
    removing after booting to the CD and then running chkdsk resolves the issue.
    If that isn't it, then it's possible some sevice is starting up very early
    in the boot process and holding the volume open. Nothing that is starting
    that early should be locking the volume.
    So Autocheck runs in Session Manager at load time,
    We should only be loading crucial services and drivers at the time.
    Of couse "boot:" drivers have to load and I maybe some of the "System"
    drivers. I don't think a service can inject itself this early.
    So run msinfo32 and report back what drivers are set to load at boot and
    system start values:
    in MSINFO under software environment system drivers start mode. ( you can
    export msinfo to a text file to generate the list)

    Other than that it may be possible something is happening at boot time that
    is loading and hooking the volume prior to loader even starting or
    somethiing that is loading even prior to that in the boot code. Some disk
    managment software may load that way.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 18, 2007
  6. Hello,
    Still thinking about this, don't worry about the drivers. If you boot from
    DVD and still have the issue we aren't loading any of those drivers. We
    also should not be loaded bootcode,
    we do still however look at the bootstat.dat file to determine drive
    status,
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 18, 2007
  7. Aaron Kelley

    John Barnes Guest

    If you don't want to try previous suggestion, have you tried running from
    the install DVD at a command prompt you can use chkdsk /? to find out the
    options. They are different in XP Recovery console and may be different
    from the DVD. If you need to go further, you could very carefully rename
    the file Darrell suggested and try again. Make sure you are careful and can
    rename it back before you try to reboot.

    John Barnes, Jan 18, 2007
  8. Aaron Kelley

    John Barnes Guest

    On second thought, if PerfectDisk does a defrag with the dirty disk flag
    set, I'm not sure I would trust the results. I guess that I was assuming
    that they did their own routine before the defrag. Not a good idea to
    assume that.

    John Barnes, Jan 18, 2007
  9. OK. Now to put this baby to rest. Here was the problem resolution from Support:

    Aditya>
    Aditya> 1. The main cause of the problem was invalid entries in the registry
    for the autocheck string.
    Aditya> 2. The check disk scheduling was causing entries to be made
    incorrectly.
    Aditya> 3. The antivirus as it was blocking access to the disk since the
    antivirus was in a beta phase

    Had to make the following change to the registry key:
    Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

    BootExecute needed to be modified to autocheck autochk *

    Somehow it was previously autocheck autochk /R \\?? autocheck autochk

    Go figure.

    Here are some KB articles of interest:

    KB 158675 - How to cancel check-disk if it is scheduled.
    KB 218461 - Description of Check-disk, Auto-check and Check-NTFS in Windows
    --
    RaXeT

    =?Utf-8?B?UmF4ZXQ=?=, Jan 18, 2007
  10. Thank you for posting the resolution!

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 18, 2007