Re: Viruses

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Sierraman, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message

    > "SBFan2000" <> wrote in message
    > > Heres my problem. I have a close friend that keeps bringing his system

    > that
    > > I built for him back to me to clean the viruses out. His most popular

    are
    > > MSXMIDI.EXE, TSS.EXE and a broswer homepage hack. When I built the

    system
    > > sold him Norton SW 2003 and ZoneAlarms free firwall. He still gets

    > totally
    > > infected to the point that the system locks up. I keep telling him he

    > must
    > > be doing something to it (i.e. porn sites, hacking sites, opening e-mail
    > > attachments) He says hes not.
    > >
    > > Since hes a close friend I hven't been charging but it has gotten to the
    > > piont he is doing it very often! He brought it last weekend and hes
    > > bringing it tomorrow. Last week I ghosted my repairs so he had a backup

    > but
    > > he refuse to restore because hes affraid he'll do something wrong.
    > >
    > > Beside the obvious solution of charging him which is going to be

    happening
    > > soon. Is there something I can install or configure to stop this.

    Also,
    > my
    > > mail server virus checks my email but he has juno, could this be his
    > > problem? I probably should insist he pay for a good firewall like

    > ZoneAlarm
    > > Professional?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Glenn
    > >

    > Step one start charging him.
    >
    > Step two will probably take care of itself if you faithfully adhere to

    step
    > one.
    >

    > But - note the products you mention him using do nothing to stop spyware.

    It
    > may help if you have him use Spyware Blaster as well for some real time
    > blocking, have him use both Adaware and Spybot S&D at least once a week.
    > If he's going to spend more money, he would probably be better off

    sticking
    > with the free firewall and buying the full version of adaware.

    Clueless prick.

    Sierraman, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Sierraman

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:

    > Clueless prick.

    You're the clueless one. ImhoTech is exactly right.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Sierraman

    TechGeekPro Guest

    TechGeekPro, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    > On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:
    >
    > > Clueless prick.

    > You're the clueless one. ImhoTech is exactly right.
    >
    > --
    > TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    > "Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable!"

    Hey weenie, stop blowing ImhoTech and take that paper shit off the end of
    your replies, your embarassing yourself.

    Sierraman, Aug 23, 2004
  5. On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:52:56 -0700, "Sierraman" <>
    wrote:

    >"TechGeekPro" <%username%@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:
    >>
    >> > Clueless prick.

    >> You're the clueless one. ImhoTech is exactly right.
    >>
    >> --
    >> TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    >> "Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable!"

    >Hey weenie, stop blowing ImhoTech and take that paper shit off the end of
    >your replies, your embarassing yourself.

    Since you are so insistent on proving your own superiority, that would
    be "you're"...not your. :)

    Seriously...who is ever right all of the time? I have only met one who
    claimed it, and he was mistaken that day the train hit his car. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 23, 2004
  6. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:52:56 -0700, "Sierraman" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"TechGeekPro" <%username%@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:

    > >> You're the clueless one. ImhoTech is exactly right.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    > >> "Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable!"

    > >Hey weenie, stop blowing ImhoTech and take that paper shit off the end of
    > >your replies, your embarassing yourself.
    > >

    > Since you are so insistent on proving your own superiority, that would
    > be "you're"...not your. :)
    >
    > Seriously...who is ever right all of the time? I have only met one who
    > claimed it, and he was mistaken that day the train hit his car. :)
    >
    > Tom

    I remember you over the years, a very funny guy! I do respect your
    knowledge. :)

    Sierraman, Aug 24, 2004
  7. Sierraman

    TwisterFreak Guest

    As i see it, in regards to the original post. This "friend" seems to be
    struggling with basic security issues. To me anti-virus, firewall,
    adaware, spybot, spyware blaster, cwshredder, email filtering is basic
    stuff, and ample for the average home user. This guy needs to be
    educated on using these pieces of software.
    Lets face it most anti-virus programs update and scan automatically.
    Firewalls need to be configured to run automatically.
    Spyware Blaster needs to be installed and left to work.
    Adaware and Spybot need to be updated and ran.
    CWshredder needs to be ran if problems are suspected.
    Email filters and some ISP's have them anyway just need to be configured.
    Basic. If your friend cares enough about his system, then he needs to
    know he has to take responsibilty for it.
    The trouble with dial-up users is they just can't be bothered to update
    sometimes because it can slow down the browsing.
    If he is struggling with these basics, i think maybe the idea of a Linux
    box as a firewall would probably melt his brain.
    Learning how to use the current security would be preferable to
    introducing new ideas too advanced for him.

    Darren

    TwisterFreak, Aug 24, 2004
  8. Sierraman

    TwisterFreak Guest

    Sorry about that Michael. The way it was worded made all dial up users
    sound bone idle. But you and a lot of other people don't find it
    troublesome because you are aware of the importance of updating.
    IMHO, file traders with no idea of security cannot blame anyone when
    their machine gets virus ridden. They also see the warez web pages, (you
    know the ones which have a million links which take you nowhere), and by
    the time thay have restarted pc because they can't get rid of the popup,
    its too late. Riddled with malware.

    TwisterFreak, Aug 24, 2004
  9. Sierraman

    radical Guest

    > Clueless prick.

    TROLL

    radical, Aug 24, 2004
  10. Sierraman

    radical Guest

    > Hey weenie, stop blowing ImhoTech and take that paper shit off the end of
    > your replies, your embarassing yourself.

    Jealousy will get you no-where

    radical, Aug 24, 2004
  11. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "TwisterFreak" <> wrote in message

    > As i see it, in regards to the original post. This "friend" seems to be
    > struggling with basic security issues. To me anti-virus, firewall,
    > adaware, spybot, spyware blaster, cwshredder, email filtering is basic
    > stuff, and ample for the average home user. This guy needs to be
    > educated on using these pieces of software.
    > Lets face it most anti-virus programs update and scan automatically.
    > Firewalls need to be configured to run automatically.
    > Spyware Blaster needs to be installed and left to work.
    > Adaware and Spybot need to be updated and ran.
    > CWshredder needs to be ran if problems are suspected.
    > Email filters and some ISP's have them anyway just need to be configured.
    > Basic. If your friend cares enough about his system, then he needs to
    > know he has to take responsibilty for it.
    > The trouble with dial-up users is they just can't be bothered to update
    > sometimes because it can slow down the browsing.
    > If he is struggling with these basics, i think maybe the idea of a Linux
    > box as a firewall would probably melt his brain.
    > Learning how to use the current security would be preferable to
    > introducing new ideas too advanced for him.
    >
    > Darren

    Not at all. Assuming he would spend $50 or more on Norton and others, he
    could just as easy pick up an old Pentium for $50, $75, and add a network
    card. Add to that a crossover, cheaper then a hub and he's in business.
    Mandrake is easy to install much like Windows click through menus. Once
    inside you don't have to use Linux Config to set up the firewall and
    connection sharing. Mandrake control center allow the familiar windows style
    click through menus again. Only take a minute to set up Tiny Firewall and
    connection sharing. By default it's given a network IP and windows 2000 is
    by default is dhcp, so it works without any other adjustments to network. If
    it's a 98 machine then you have to set a few simple tasks for the network
    but no big deal really. The tradeoffs are huge. I dumped Norton years ago,
    in fact all virus software. Norton really slowed down my machine and screw
    those updates. With linux as dial up node, I can safely use Windows without
    any virus software. I haven't use any for years and I have not had one
    trojan, virus, worm, anything slip through, not ever since then, not even
    one, and my machine is on the net nearly all the time doing work for
    clients. Even with Norton anti-virus, Norton Firewall, trojans would still
    slip through. It was still like a war zone until I started using Linux for a
    primary dial up. I used all the big programs in the past, F-Prot,
    Thunderbyte, MCcaffe, etc. To hell with all that shit. Yeah, I used Zone
    Alarm, Black Ice Defender, Hack Tracer, but all this just takes more time
    and resources away for me. Why in the hell would anyone want to follow these
    pied pipers when you can solve the whole problem in one fell swoop with a
    Linux box used for your dial-up? There is no updating and no drain on
    resources on your Windows box. I had a friend exactly like this guy who keep
    coming to me because his system kept getting riddled with viruses and
    trojans, ect. even with virus software. I solved him problem for good and he
    has not had one virus, trojan, worms whatever in over two years. I took his
    old Pentium box, put Linux on there and he used it for dialup for his
    windows box. He stays on the net, and doesn't worry about that shit anymore.
    It only costs him the price of a network card and a crossover cable. Linux
    is free but for a home user I recommend the retail version which isn't
    expensive. For the price of Norton or a little more, solve you virus
    problems for good. Take note you Windows weenies. BTW, after that he can
    leave the Linux box up and running for months and all he has to do to get
    online is hit the enter key to engage the dialer. The dial in dialogue box
    can stay up all the time, so once set up, which it very easy to do, the user
    can forget about the Linux box as the monitor will go to sleep. Also you can
    use a switch box to share ports for the monitor, mouse and keyboards, so
    really all you need is a cheap box from the reject pile of your local high
    schools and extra cables for the portings.

    No Problemo.

    Got to go, limited time talking to you Windoze weenies.

    Adaware is good free tool for your Windows box.

    Sierraman, Aug 24, 2004
  12. Sierraman

    radical Guest

    "Sierraman" <> wrote in message

    > Got to go, limited time talking to you Windoze weenies.

    Trolling again?

    radical, Aug 24, 2004
  13. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message

    > "Sierraman" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "TwisterFreak" <> wrote in

    message

    > Go blather your drivel somewhere else.

    Listen you jackass sack of shit, this is a A and B conversation, so you can
    see your sorry ass out of it!

    Sierraman, Aug 24, 2004
  14. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "radical" <> wrote in message

    > "Sierraman" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Got to go, limited time talking to you Windoze weenies.

    > Trolling again?

    You took the bait, based on your own assumptions.

    Sierraman, Aug 24, 2004
  15. Sierraman

    radical Guest

    "Sierraman" <> wrote in message

    > "radical" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Sierraman" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Got to go, limited time talking to you Windoze weenies.

    > > Trolling again?

    > You took the bait, based on your own assumptions.

    No I just call it as I see it,but then again maybe you took the bait

    radical, Aug 24, 2004