Re: Virus? USB 500GB external hard disk is now "raw format"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Johnw, Nov 26, 2008.

  1. Johnw

    Johnw Guest

    Johnw, Nov 26, 2008

  2. Johnw

    ralph Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:06:20 +0900, Johnw wrote:

    > tutorial PhotoRec
    > http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=tutorial PhotoRec&btnG=Search&meta=
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytbkba

    Excellent! Will try. I thought this was going to be easy to rescue the RAW
    disk thousands of photos but it has turned out to not be intuitive. It's
    like working with unexploded ordnance ... even simple things become
    difficult without precise instructions as hit or miss doesn't work with
    photo rescue efforts.

    ralph, Nov 27, 2008

  3. Johnw

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital ralph <> wrote:

    | On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:06:20 +0900, Johnw wrote:
    |
    |> tutorial PhotoRec
    |> http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=tutorial PhotoRec&btnG=Search&meta=
    |> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
    |> http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytbkba
    |
    | Excellent! Will try. I thought this was going to be easy to rescue the RAW
    | disk thousands of photos but it has turned out to not be intuitive. It's
    | like working with unexploded ordnance ... even simple things become
    | difficult without precise instructions as hit or miss doesn't work with
    | photo rescue efforts.

    Precise instructions to recover depend on first knowing precisely what is wrong.
    Neither of us know what that is.

    This is more of a forensics situation. If my goal is just to recover, then I
    work to find out what is there so I can figure out what to do to recover. If
    the drive is physically readable, then the next think I look at is of the MBR
    is consistent. If so, then I check to see if the partitions are what I think
    they should be. If so, then I see if I can mount them in READ ONLY mode.

    One problem with all this is that there are few filesystem types that Windows
    knows how to read. So if I have a situation like this with an external drive
    on Windows, that drive gets moved to another computer running Linux, and the
    two computers get networked together (but not to the internet). Then I can do
    a file share to let Windows get the files back and store them on a new empty
    drive.

    , Nov 30, 2008