Re: Virus or Malware infection .... any idea what?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Jan 20, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Barry,

    I think I'm going to bring a fresh change of underwear and Rosary beads with
    me when I go out on my calls today, if something like this is happening to
    YOU, and you can't figure it out...;)

    Hmm, what has changed between yesterday and today...are you aware of the new
    (there were older varieties) "Storm Worm"? See
    http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/22142.html and
    http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/...g/2007/01/trojanpeacomm_building_a_peert.html
    for more info. Of course, those inflicted would have to had opened an
    executable file that arrived by email...

    Obviously, the "macro" message refers to a macro, or the security levels
    that are set in one or more of the Office programs, but if you haven't
    touched them, that message is a consequence of something else that is wrong,
    and I don't know how that would cause your computer to shut off.

    Dunno. Dunno. Sorry.

    sa

    smackedass, Jan 20, 2007

  2. smackedass

    blkjak Guest

    Mön§igñor ßoddoM wrote:
    > Barry Watzman wrote:
    >> Yes, it looks like I had some kind of infection, but I'm really
    >> puzzled as to how I would have gotten it. I'm the only one who uses
    >> this PC, and I understand this stuff, I don't open attachments, and I
    >> don't visit the types of sites that normally spread malware, and my
    >> system has what should be adequate security (both AV and spyware),
    >> and I keep it updated continuously.
    >>
    >> Now I'm worried about the macro message ("This file contains macros
    >> with an expired or revoked signature. Since you are running under
    >> high security level, these macros will be disabled.")
    >>
    >> PURE SPECULATION: I believe that something in outlook has a malicious
    >> macro in it that may have been the cause of my problem. The macro is
    >> still present, but at the moment isn't being allowed to run, and thus
    >> so far I'm ok. But one little slip, it gets executed and I'm toast
    >> (again). What I need to do is find the macro, but the message only
    >> tells me that it's there, but not where. "This file ...." Come on,
    >> Word, tell me WHAT file!!! I could argue that since the entire C:
    >> drive was wiped out and restored, the offending file would have to be
    >> the outlook .PST file. But the message occurs when I merely open
    >> outlook. Yes, the .PST file is opened, but no message within it is
    >> opened.
    >>
    >> ?????
    >>

    >> smackedass wrote:
    >>> Barry,
    >>>
    >>> I think I'm going to bring a fresh change of underwear and Rosary
    >>> beads with me when I go out on my calls today, if something like
    >>> this is happening to YOU, and you can't figure it out...;)
    >>>
    >>> Hmm, what has changed between yesterday and today...are you aware of
    >>> the new (there were older varieties) "Storm Worm"? See
    >>> http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/22142.html and
    >>> http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/...g/2007/01/trojanpeacomm_building_a_peert.html
    >>> for more info. Of course, those inflicted would have to had opened
    >>> an executable file that arrived by email...
    >>>
    >>> Obviously, the "macro" message refers to a macro, or the security
    >>> levels that are set in one or more of the Office programs, but if
    >>> you haven't touched them, that message is a consequence of something
    >>> else that is wrong, and I don't know how that would cause your
    >>> computer to shut off.
    >>>
    >>> Dunno. Dunno. Sorry.
    >>>
    >>> sa
    >>>

    >>> "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message

    > You could always try ClamWin portable?
    >
    > http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable
    >
    > http://portableapps.com/suite
    >
    > These utilities work very nicely without OS interference. In case your
    > AV is compromised. You just never know.

    awesome utilities...........just what I have been looking for
    ..........thanks!

    blkjak
    blkjak, Jan 28, 2007